PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bangs

Newniepg
June 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Had to share this! It is a link to 'baby bangs' which appears to be fake hair for babies.

http://www.babybangshairband.com/store.php

:agape:

Am I too easily shocked? I always thought babies were at their sweetest before they get much hair, but then my little girl is lacking a bit in the hair department so I would wouldn't I?! :rolleyes:

Katze
June 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I am not sure what to think about this. On the one hand, my baby is 14 months and has very little hair still - it looks like less than it is, too, because it is blonde and fine, though it is thick. She basically has 1 inch silvery fuzz all over her head. So I often make jokes about getting her a wig or making one from our shed hair.

On the other hand there is something really disturbing about that site. It is selling the items as accessories for little girls, which firstly implies a necessity for girls to be trained to focus on fashion even before they can walk (!) and more to the point to reinforce the idea that only thick hair is good hair, and/or that extensions and 'volumizing' are necessary. On some of those babies, the bangs just look WEIRD.

My little girl looks beautiful even if she does not have much hair and I am used to the 'shocked' looks people give me when they see she does not have what can technically be called hair yet. Dh and I both have medium thickness hair, DH's borders on thick, we were both bald, then blonde, so I am not worried about Kitty getting hair. Still, I think this site is playing up the fears of people like me just a little...

But even if I got one of these, Kitty would still have this fine fuzz in the back!

Newniepg
June 2nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
On the other hand there is something really disturbing about that site. It is selling the items as accessories for little girls, which firstly implies a necessity for girls to be trained to focus on fashion even before they can walk (!) and more to the point to reinforce the idea that only thick hair is good hair, and/or that extensions and 'volumizing' are necessary. On some of those babies, the bangs just look WEIRD.

Still, I think this site is playing up the fears of people like me just a little...

I absolutely agree with you, the whole premise is extremely cynical.

My 15 month old daughters hair sounds exactly like yours, fair and not thick on top but she has the sweetest little curls coming at the nape. A few people have commented on my 'bald' baby but to me she is beautiful as she is and it is lovely to watch her natural hair progress and wonder what it will be like when she is older. :)

FrannyG
June 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
No, Newniepg, you are not too easily shocked. I can't even imagine subjecting a baby to that. I find it disgusting. I did my best to have my children feel beautiful just the way they are from the day they were born.

However, I've learned over the years that there's a market for just about anything.

Nae
June 2nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
Aww :( The babies were way cuter before the crazy adults added that fake hair. What is up with that? Babies don't need rugs, they need kisses up there!!

myrrhmaiden
June 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
That's just bizarre. They're babies for Pete's sake. This is a product to appease the parent's vanity, baby couldn't care less. It's just sad really. To some people even a baby isn't good enough au naturel.

Tap Dancer
June 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
I think those bangs look so stupid! :lol: I'm guessing they're popular in the beauty pagent world, though.

Sammich
June 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
That fake hair is really freaky on the babies, they do indeed look really stupidly hilarious.
I prefer the before pictures, it's just not natural. o_o

MandaMom2Three
June 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
:justy: I think babies are SO CUTE all baldish and adorable!!!! Of course all mine had full heads of hair from the start :p, though I didn't have much hair until I was 3 LOL.

Loreley
June 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
:brains: This is crazy...

breezefaerie
June 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
How odd - I had no idea this was an "issue" for babies.

Heavenly Locks
June 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
tee hee hee!!

http://www.babytoupee.com/products_thelilkim.htm

I think my favorite is "the Donald" You're fired!! ahahaha...

Anyway, this is about as moronic as those baby bangs things.

Nae
June 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
LOL I wonder what they would call the "issue?" Pre-hair pattern baldness?

Newniepg
June 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
How odd - I had no idea this was an "issue" for babies.

Honestly, I don't think it is an issue for babies- but I do think it's for parents with issues!

Seriously the more I look at the site the creepier I find it. As an aside, I know my little girl wouldn't keep one on her head before tearing it off and trying to feed it to the dog. I am fortunate to get her to forget that she has a sun hat on most days!

hendrix.co
June 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Gag! I would never.

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Honestly, I don't think it is an issue for babies- but I do think it's for parents with issues!

Seriously the more I look at the site the creepier I find it. As an aside, I know my little girl wouldn't keep one on her head before tearing it off and trying to feed it to the dog. I am fortunate to get her to forget that she has a sun hat on most days!

That's the justice that reality will bring to this nonsense: what self-respecting baby would leave such a thing on its head! :D

Of course, then I start worrying about parents exerting pressure about such things at such a tender age....

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I use a Curling Iron to curl Baby Bangs?

Seriously? It's not bad enough that you want your baby to wear a full wig (these aren't just "bangs" either -- they are full heads of hair!), but you want to go after your infant with a CURLING IRON too?????

*sigh*

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
tee hee hee!!

I think my favorite is "the Donald" You're fired!! ahahaha...

Anyway, this is about as moronic as those baby bangs things.

My dog and son, both in The Donald.

http://www.babytoupee.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9688&g2_serialNumber=1

CelinaStarr
June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
The babies look much better in the before pics. I can't believe people actually do this.

Newniepg
June 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
tee hee hee!!

I think the saving grace of that website is that surely it must be intended to be humorous rather than the 'buying this will make your baby look better' attitude of the baby bangs.

http://www.babytoupee.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9688&g2_serialNumber=1

That is SO funny! :laugh:

Miasen
June 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
I cannot believe people would even consider buying this. They are BABIES. They could not care less about their hair. (And I'm pretty sure quite a few of those pieces would end up torn off and chewed on instead of staying prettily on their head. :P) It's obviously just for parents' vanity. And seriously? Who doesn't think their baby is cute, no matter how little hair they have? Jeez, I just don't get people anymore. :(

Nenyath
June 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
They are kinda like dolls with those wigs, wouldn't subject any child of mine to that.. I can't directly see any harm in it, I just hope it isn't a pattern which will carry on as they grow up, it really depend on the sentiment behind the parents..

pennyroyal
June 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Aww :( The babies were way cuter before the crazy adults added that fake hair. What is up with that? Babies don't need rugs, they need kisses up there!!
Agreed! The babies look weird afterwards. Let babies be babies! They are adorable naturally!!!! :mad:

*Aoife*
June 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
They actually just creep me out!

Bald heads are just part of the (adorable) package. I guess they're also tapping in the parents who get angry/scared because their 6 month old girl gets mistaken for a boy. Of course she does! Babies don't look like either gender until they get that little bit older :rolleyes:

Newniepg
June 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
They actually just creep me out!

Bald heads are just part of the (adorable) package. I guess they're also tapping in the parents who get angry/scared because their 6 month old girl gets mistaken for a boy. Of course she does! Babies don't look like either gender until they get that little bit older :rolleyes:

people are daft when it comes to guessing gender. My little girl was in full pink dress mode the other day and some old lady said 'he looks like his dad doesn't he'. Hey, maybe baby bangs would have helped in that situation...

Or not.

ButterCream
June 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Uhm, really?
I mean, r.e.a.l.l.y??? :shocked:

What happened to letting babies be adorable babies with little to no hair?:confused:

I don`t think it is cute..just eeeew...

Capybara
June 2nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
That is ... crazy. I don't even know what to say!

I was born with a full head of hair - it was jet black - but even if I had been bald, I can't imagine having fake hair! :eek:

spidermom
June 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
That kind of icked me out, to tell you the truth. Let babies be babies, bald or not.

P.S. - My mom used to TAPE a pink bow to my little bald head, and she told me people would still say "what an adorable little boy!" ??? what's up with that ???

May
June 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
:brains: This is crazy...

Haha well said! Those poor babies! Can you imagine what their parents will stick on them when they're 5?!!! omg...scaaaary.:poot:

Yozhik
June 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Weird. I didn't have hair until I was 2ish, and people always thought I was a little boy :shrug: Didn't bother me or my parents.

The baby hair is supposed to be fine and delicate!

This is right along the same lines as partial dentures called "flippers" that children in beauty pageants wear :(

Blueneko
June 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
My 1 year old has APL hair! I don't need these. I am unsure how I feel about them. Cheesy? Cheating? Too much vanity for a little baby? Maybe ok for photos?

LaurelSpring
June 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM

I literally cant stop laughing right now....... tears flowing.....

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
I literally cant stop laughing right now....... tears flowing.....

Maybe we should all post this by our mirrors with a little sign that says, "And you think YOU are having a Bad Hair Day????"

LaurelSpring
June 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Still laughing..... every time I look at that picture it totally cracks me up again....OMG its so funny.

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
What the heck ?!?!?! RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!
I was bald until I was two, on my way to three. Big deal ! I eventually grew a crazy amount of hair :)

julliams
June 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry but I just can't understand why this would be something anyone would want to put on a baby. Most babies aren't thrilled by wearing hats so I just can't imagine this staying on the child's head. The need to change a child like this is just strange to me. I can understand a wig being necessary for a child without hair because they have a disease, but babies have such a varying degree of hair, it's totally normal whatever your baby sports.

I find it odd that it is suggested that welcome them as " ...a new one-of-a-kind childhood keepsake for you and your baby girl to adore..." Huh????

I also love how there is a testimonial page but there aren't any testimonials - who is buying this anyway???