PDA

View Full Version : Bang/Fringe Help?

Celticfreefall
June 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
It's one of those, "Oh no what am I doing" threads since I have a four o'clock appointment tomorrow to get bangs cut and I have no idea what to do. I'm no sure if what I want is a good idea, or how to do upkeep because of my hair type. My hair is very thick, frizzy, and resists styling. I want basic bangs with some side bangs to frame my face worked in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my bangs from looking like crap? Any suggestions on what shape of bangs would look good? Pictures I should take in? Everyone keeps telling me I should do what I want, but, I think with my frizzy mess I need advice from the pros before I commit!

Here's my frizz monster currently:

loralie
June 2nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
To be totally honest, if your hair is frizzy and curly and you get straight across bangs, you will need to style them or they will pretty well do whatever they want. For your hair type, you'll want to get sideswept bangs... they will be longer, weigh themselves down a bit and be more manageable.

Luckily, pretty well every face type can pull them off. I think they would look beautiful on you. Here's my google fu! (http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=side%20swept%20bangs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi) basically, you want to keep them long enough that they will stay with minimal work- the shorter they are, the more liable they are to freak out and cowlick.

To style them, you'll want to just part your hair to the side after a shower, pin them across in the shape you want, and let them dry that way. I don't blowdry my whole head but when my bangs are shorter, I blowdry them diagonally in the direction I want them to lay, but only my bangs.

You and your hair are gorgeous girl! Post pictures after your appointment! :D

Barniie
June 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
Yea, i'd go with a side fringe, also because if you hate it, it is SOO much easier to grow out! You can pin it to the side, and the time will fly, unlike a front fringe (i've made that mistake - alot)

melikai
June 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
I would get face-framing layers, rather than bangs, if I were you. You're going to have to fuss with them a lot in order to maintain them. I have much more straight hair than you do, and I had to always use a blowdryer to style mine.

Also, I think your face looks lovely with your hair as it is. :shrug:

Theobroma
June 2nd, 2010, 02:51 AM
I definitely second the advice you've been getting about longer, sideswept bangs. Your hair looks quite similar in texture to mine, and when I had front bangs they were a total nuisance to keep looking halfway decent -- a hint of humidity and they'd cowlick all over the place and I'd have to blowdry them around a round brush twice a day. It's why I grew them out eventually because they were just more trouble than they were worth!

I'd say be careful with what you do. You don't need bangs; your hair is beautiful and your face is lovely without them. I understand wanting a change, but do give yourself an exit strategy if you cut bangs, in case you end up not liking the result.

Celticfreefall
June 2nd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will go with the side swept bangs. I guess if I hate hate hate them it would be much easier to grow them back in without looking stupid. My hair does go 'POOF' if there is any moisture, among other annoyances (fly away and frizzy-ness), so this was a huge worry as to if I'd be able to keep everything looking nice without having to be constantly looking in the mirror. My weapon of choice is a basic curling iron, myself, though I haven't used it other than on few and far between dress-up days while growing my hair out car of this forum. I'm a bit rusty and worried.

Theobroma
June 2nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will go with the side swept bangs. I guess if I hate hate hate them it would be much easier to grow them back in without looking stupid.

Absolutely. If they're long enough to just go behind your ears, that's half the battle right there. Also, if you find you love them and your hair behaves well in bangs, you can easily shorten them later if you end up wanting to. Lengthening ones that came out too short is a less easy task!

Good luck. And post pictures!

Jessica Trapp
June 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
My hair is somewhat similar to yours. I've cut bangs a few times and have never been able to really make them "work." One day they look great, then the next they do this, that or the other. For now I've given up but I from time to time I still would love to have them.

I guess this is mostly an unhelpful post. Just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find a style that works for you.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

:flower: jes