PDA

View Full Version : pluck a hair

fisher2
June 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
this is a test as i dont have a tape measure that is fabric :P pluck a hair and measure the actaul length of that hair try it 2-5 times to try to get a good ratio going my indv hairs seem to be between 19-22 inches whats yours im about mid back

cardamom
June 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM
I think stretching while plucking makes it longer.:)

fisher2
June 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
you hold it from the end and pop it out with your other hand at the root to prevent this

Shandra
June 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
I'd rather keep the hairs attached so they can keep growing! lol.

Gulbahar
June 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
You will always have ALL lengths of hair on your head, no matter your actual length.

Barniie
June 2nd, 2010, 02:45 AM
from the nape to the ends (my shortest bit) it is.... 20 cm (I dont know how many inches that is sorry im Aussie :))

cardamom
June 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
:P pluck a hair ...........try it 2-5 times

:shocked:

I would say,patience always pays when it comes to monitoring growth.

cindy58
June 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Save your hair -- you could hold a string at your hairline and bring it down the back and cut the string so it's the same length of your hair. Then measure that.

Aren't you at the stage yet where you get very annoyed each time you hear a strand break or pull accidentally, despite your careful treatment? I remember that!

It's VERY true that patience is the key. Just take care of it and let it grow. I haven't measured in a long time, other than visually.

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
from the nape to the ends (my shortest bit) it is.... 20 cm (I dont know how many inches that is sorry im Aussie :))

I've given up on doing conversions in my head -- I just type "x cm in inches" or "x inches in cm" into Google and it comes up with the answer for me (works for all kinds of things, not just length). Yours came up with: 20 centimeters = 7.87401575 inches

I just measured a shed hair and came up with 28.5 inches = 72.39 centimeters.

I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that I really am a longhair now... and seeing that L-O-N-G hair stretched out on my desk really was an eye-opening experience!

adiapalic
June 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Hmm, I think plucking out that many hairs works against trying to let your hair grow in as long and thick as possible. If you're not interested in the measuring method most people use here, you could get someone to help measure your hair while laying on the floor/bed while the hair is still attached to your hair.

Incidentally, I have thought of measuring extra long shed hairs that come out while washing... out of curiosity.

Magicknthenight
June 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that I really am a longhair now... and seeing that L-O-N-G hair stretched out on my desk really was an eye-opening experience!
Congratulations!:cheer: Your hair looks awesome. I can't wait until mine feels long.:smirk:

Incidentally, I have thought of measuring extra long shed hairs that come out while washing... out of curiosity.

I was gonna say you could just measure your shed hairs! Wouldn't wet ones be a bit longer? Still you could measure the ones you brush/comb out to get a rough estimate. It might be better then plucking out hair that may still be growing every time you wanna see how long its gotten :)
I'll bet its a lot easier then trying to maneuver a stiff tape measure against the back of your head with a mirror in your other hand :whistle:

jera
June 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't pluck my hairs to measure them. I just wait til one sheds off naturally. :D My length is about 37 inches now, but of course there are various lengths of hairs all over your head. ;)

kittensoupnrice
June 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't use this as a reliable measurement of length.
Just think.

Normally you measure from your hairline down to the tips over the top of your head. A hair shed at the top of your head will most likely have a much different length than one shed at your nape, or above your ear, etc.

Plucking isn't a good idea either, because you could damage the hair follicle which might keep it from re-growing hair.

ButterCream
June 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
this is a test as i dont have a tape measure that is fabric :P pluck a hair and measure the actaul length of that hair try it 2-5 times to try to get a good ratio going my indv hairs seem to be between 19-22 inches whats yours im about mid back

Ouch, lol:o

I suggested something in a thread I made a little while back, if you want to go outside the box of regular measuring methods...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47763

And all it takes is a string or a thread to do it...:D

christine1989
June 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I try to keep my hair attached so I take a small section, strech it out and hold a yardstick up to it while pulling it as straight as possible. This is much more accurate with my wavy hair.

SurprisingWoman
June 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM
From the time I was a little girl I would take my hair that fell out when I was shampooing and "measure" it on the square shower tiles. I would find the longest one I could while letting the conditioner sit on my hair and measure how many squares it was long.

:)