PDA

View Full Version : "Real" Mermaid on TV tonight

feralnature
June 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
On ABC's 20/20 so tune in at 9pm central. Something about mermaids holding their breath a long time.

Tressie
June 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Drat! I missed this one! I wonder if someone spotted our lovely little Orca in her mermaid attire? (o:

IcarusBride
June 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
Here's an article about it on their website. It sounds interesting.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/real-life-mermaids-superhumans/story?id=10771939

LittleOrca
June 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Heh, nah those are "professional" mermaids.

Someday though I will have a nice professional tail... I just have 130 pounds left to lose first. ;)

As for breath holding, I have seen some people training for it and some get up to about four minutes. I think my best so far is 30 seconds. :o

lemonlife
June 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
The idea of being able to swim high speed due to the tail intrigues me. But, I have no doubt I'd drown myself with a tail on. I don't think I'd be dexterous enough for something like that. That said, swimming with regular foot fins on is fun!

naereid
June 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
I want to follow my dream into the ocean, too. Sigh. :o I have a mermaid soul. Hannah Fraser is totally my idol and this article was wonderful to read. Teaching children to swim is really a great idea!

I've seen people wearing old-looking clothes in old cities (Prague, St.Petersburg, etc.) and charging tourists for taking a picture. That got me thinking about making a mermaid costume and going to the seaside. We get a lot of tourists. I'm sure I could have some fun and earn some money. :grnbiggri But I probably won't do it...

emmabovary
June 2nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
I've seen people wearing old-looking clothes in old cities (Prague, St.Petersburg, etc.) and charging tourists for taking a picture. That got me thinking about making a mermaid costume and going to the seaside. We get a lot of tourists. I'm sure I could have some fun and earn some money. :grnbiggri But I probably won't do it...

You know, that's a really good idea! I bet you could make tons of money that way. Children would love it for sure. If I were more extroverted, and lived in a more suitable climate, I'd do it. :)

naereid
June 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
You know, that's a really good idea! I bet you could make tons of money that way. Children would love it for sure. If I were more extroverted, and lived in a more suitable climate, I'd do it. :)
Yep, being introverted is exactly my problem too! :o I've improved in the past couple of years, but I still don't have enough confidence needed to make it work out.

myrrhmaiden
June 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
l... I just have 130 pounds left to lose first. ;)

Don't lose too much weight! You'll get cold really quickly! I am by no means "skinny." When summer comes it is my buxom figure that allows me to stay in the water all day without getting cold while all my thin friends shiver in their towels on the beach. I call it my ocean parka. :P

myrrhmaiden
June 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
...That got me thinking about making a mermaid costume and going to the seaside. We get a lot of tourists. I'm sure I could have some fun and earn some money. :grnbiggri But I probably won't do it...

This is such an excellent idea. I bet you'd make a very fetching mermaid, and some good money too. Maybe you could find a friend or two willing to do it with you? That would lessen the fear. I really think you should do this. :heartbeat

Honeybun21
June 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
It came on last night when my mom was actually trying to turn off the TV (she hit the wrong button). Have a feeling it was divine intervention because I <3 mermaids and would not have seen it otherwise! :)

Nae
June 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Oh boy, a school of Mermaids.......hmmm is that the plural? Don't know but I DO know that I would pay pretty nicely for a photo just because my kids would hound me to death because they would love that so much!! Even with one mermaid I don't think I would be able to get by with the kiddos seeing her and not getting a picture lol.

Sammich
June 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
That is so fascinating!! *Squeals like a little girl* I would love to be a mermaid! :)

I'm deathly afraid of drowning and swimming though. (I only just recently learnt how to swim, LOL.)

naereid
June 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Aw, girls! You're all so supportive. :inlove: Maybe I do need to reconsider that idea, after all.

Nae
June 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Anyone have any idea how much the professional tails run? They are awesome. On the show she said hers was like 30 some pounds! They looked so cool, I was amazed.:bigeyes:

Naereid you should totally do it! Then you could make business cards that say "Mermaid" that would be epic.:D You could even be hired for pool parties and what not, birthday parties. There are all sorts of places mermaids are needed!

naereid
June 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Anyone have any idea how much the professional tails run? They are awesome. On the show she said hers was like 30 some pounds! They looked so cool, I was amazed.:bigeyes:

Naereid you should totally do it! Then you could make business cards that say "Mermaid" that would be epic.:D You could even be hired for pool parties and what not, birthday parties. There are all sorts of places mermaids are needed!
Hahaha! :laugh: I'm not sure how much fun it would be to have an entertainer who can't run around or anything, though... :grnbiggri

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 09:22 AM

My oldest sister, who absolutely loves mermaids, actually got a "professional" tail from one of her friends, who cast her as a mermaid in one of his movies. She said the tail ran somewhere near $600 (!!) and she needed help from three people to get into and out of it! Facebook won't let me look for pictures right now, or I'd post them... :(

Thinthondiel
June 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Heh, nah those are "professional" mermaids.

Someday though I will have a nice professional tail... I just have 130 pounds left to lose first. ;)

As for breath holding, I have seen some people training for it and some get up to about four minutes. I think my best so far is 30 seconds. :o

I once managed to hold my breath for three minutes and 15 seconds... that was on land, though, I have no idea how long I would have been able to hold my breath under water.

I can't hold my breath as long as that anymore, though... it was back when I was still playing the trombone, so I was able to get a lot of air into my lungs at the time.

ETA: I just tried timing myself, and I managed to hold my breath for two minutes. I think if I do this several times during the next couple of days, I'll probably be able to hold my breath for two minutes and 30 seconds.

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hahaha! :laugh: I'm not sure how much fun it would be to have an entertainer who can't run around or anything, though... :grnbiggri

Little girls wouldn't care if you can't run around or anything, though -- they'd just want their picture taken with Ariel!

VERONICAT
June 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
When I was a child I used to say: "When I grow up, I want to be a mermaid!".

I absolutely love mermaids, this job is perfect for me!:cheese::cheese:

BritishBraider
June 3rd, 2010, 06:26 AM
ooooooooo pretty :)