PDA

View Full Version : Hair stylists, how terrible are we?

spidermom
June 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM
We've all seen countless terrible hair stylist stories here at LHC. They cut too much, they leave bleach on too long and make our hair fall out, they don't listen, and they give us the wrong colors. Today I read an article on AOL about terrible customers. Some of the things that hair stylists commonly dislike are customers who cancel at the last minute, who try to get additional hair services for free, who are stuck in a time warp and always want the same thing done to their hair (guilty), and the customers who don't respect the hair stylist's opinion about what will work best for their hair (for example - curly? don't insist on a stick-straight style).

So hair stylists, it's time to turn it around. Ever had any really bad customers?

Pumpkin
June 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for bringing this up, Spidermom. There are always two sides to every issue. :)

jane53
June 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
I like my hairstylist!

She has long hair too.

Never have to worry with her.

PrincessTieflin
June 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM
I used to have this lady who thought that since I had (at that time) a very short stacked swing bob, that I would know how to do it..... I didnt do that cut, and well she had to remember that this ws MY hair not HERS.. It never looks the same on other people may be the same cut, but different texture, thickness ect...

I also had a lady that NO matter what she was never happy, she would always come back in and complain about how terribel I was but never wanted anyone else to cut her hair... she complained so much about me that the owner gave her like 2 free cuts while it was growing out... BUT the lady would still wait HOURS for me to cut her hair even tho I 'did a horrible job' LMAO... i THINK she just wanted something for nothing.

ravenreed
June 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
Interesting thread idea...

I don't have a set hair stylist. I thought I found one when when I was at a party and one of the women there said she was a stylist. I asked about dustings and she said she did them. When I mentioned that I had been doing S&D's, she said, "Oh those don't work." :rolleyes: So, I am still looking.

My son is a TERRIBLE customer. He doesn't say anything, because he is shy (even at 19). So the stylist has to guess what he wants. Once he hated it so much that he asked the stylist to redo it, but I was there and made him a) articulate what he wanted and b) tip her double.

spidermom
June 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
I was getting a perm and sat through an exchange between another customer and her stylist. She wanted a perm, the stylist said she would not recommend it because of a recent color service. The customer insisted STRONGLY and then had a full-blown tantrum and refused to pay when her hair came out looking like that stuff you put into Easter baskets.

lastnite
June 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
I read that article too. canceling appointments I can understand, but the rest is just their opinions.

for the most part, their job is to give the customer what they want and have them leave happy. it doesn't matter what the stylist think will look good, if it's not what the customer wants, then don't do it. if the customer wants the same style, then that's what will keep the customer happy. maybe the customer wants a professional to blow dry their curly hair straight since it can be a hard task for some to do at home. if the customer complains about cutting too much, then the stylist should listen.

since I'm the customer, of course that's just what I think :)

kwaniesiam
June 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
Oh. My. God.

Where to start :lol: First off, great idea for a thread! I'll be checking here frequently :rolleyes:

The first bad client I ever had was a young girl coming in for a full head of highlights. Her attitude was very bossy and acted like she knew how to do hair better than I did despite never having gone to school for it. She had about waist length hair and previously blonde highlights that had grown out about 6 inches. She wanted me to retouch hers, then make them red, and add black lowlights all through her naturally medium brown hair. Then she wanted it cut, layered, and side bangs added. Well, 6 hours worth of work (basically my entire day of listening to her blabber on about her unruly children, inappropriate escapades, and baby daddies) she left me a $5 tip. $5 for all that work, are you kidding me?!? Her entire bill was $40. In ANY other salon that would have cost her upwards of $300 but because I'm still in school she got away with it cheap and will probably never be back :steam:

My second terrible customer was a little old lady getting a perm. She kept trying to tell me how to wrap the rods the wrong way. Finally I gave in and did it how she wanted me to do it. She wasn't happy at all with the end result, and blamed it on me for listening to her. How should she know that it wasn't right, I'm the hairstylist :rolleyes: Ugh.

The only other memorable client that comes to mind is a man who had probably never been to a salon in his life. When I led him to the shampoo bowl, he kneeled on the chair and stuck his head face first in to the sink!

I've heard horrible conversations from nearby customers as well. All sorts of beyond R rated conversation that I really did not need or want to hear in an educational setting :tmi: A story my teacher told me way back when she was in school, she was doing highlights on a middle aged woman. She left her client alone to go check on something in the back, and when she returned the client told the front desk she was going out back to smoke. The client had actually left with her head full of foils! I guess she wanted to try to get away and rinse it at home so she didn't have to pay :crazyq:

kwaniesiam
June 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Oh, another thing. Please try not to cancel last minute. You have no idea how frustrating that is, especially when you've gotten everything set up and ready only to find out that your client can't make it that day. We took up our time for you that could have been filled by someone else instead. Once or twice if you're a regular or if you have a real emergency, but don't do it just because you don't feel like coming out or something more interesting pops up.

Please let us know exactly what you want too. I think a lot of the trouble here with salon horror stories on LHC is a lack of communication. We're not mind readers. We have scissors, not magic wands.

Lamb
June 1st, 2010, 06:23 PM
The only other memorable client that comes to mind is a man who had probably never been to a salon in his life. When I led him to the shampoo bowl, he kneeled on the chair and stuck his head face first in to the sink!

:spitting:
Give a girl some warning before coming up with stuff like this!

dropinthebucket
June 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
IMHO, the worst thing ever done to a hairstylist - well, ok, hairstyling as a profession - was that horrible movie with Adam Sandler, Don't Mess with the Zohan. Stylists everywhere must've been cringing after that one came out..... The film managed to insult Israelis, Arabs, and hairstylists, all in one! :(

JenniferNoel
June 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM

Dude... like... that's just... wow...
:lol:

I'm not a stylist but I can totally understand this kind of thing, back in my salon days, in one snob-magnet salon I heard and witnessed some of the most outrageous conversations and behaviors... don't get me started.

orbiting
June 1st, 2010, 08:04 PM
my best friend is in school to be a hair stylist. She had a young lady come in with waist length (extensions - blow fried - bleach destroyed) hair.. The girl wanted more highlights, more extensions and when my friend had to comb out her hair after she washed it, the young lady REFUSED to let her touch her hair. She "wouldn't know what she was doing" ... My friend has, at one point, had waist length hair and she took care of my BSL hair quite well..

If you don't want the stylist to touch your hair - don't go to one. That includes trusting them to detangle it properly.

GoddesJourney
June 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not a hairstylist, but I was thanked by one for letting her do her job. She was a student about to graduate and I wanted a girly haircut more or less renewed for the last time. I told her more or less the general idea of the shape I was looking for and said, "I had it like that before and it worked, so if you can make something more or less like that I would be really happy. You know the sexy bangs thing I'm talking about." I drew a line on my forehead in the shape I was talking about and she nodded in agreement. "Other than that, you know, just don't make the layers any shorter than this (gesture about length) and do your thing."

She started working on my hair and was apparently just waiting for me to start getting pushy or bossy or whatever. When it didn't happen, she thanked me for being so pleasant and said it was not so common for people with "long hair" to let her be so free with it. I told her that I don't really know all that much about cutting hair, other than the very basics, and that I'm only moderately artistic. I had another lady that cut my hair for awhile who was, although too expensive for me, really good and really artistic. It was nice to just let her do what she wanted with it within certain guidelines and she always made everyone's hair look perfect with the shape of their faces

Once I knew what it was like to have someone actually know how to do a good job, I saw no reason to try to tell them how to do their job. They went to school for that because it's what they like and they're good at it. Anyway, if she screwed it up it was just hair since I wasn't growing it out at the time, and would be back pretty quickly. This girl started off with an A in my book until she proves otherwise, so I just let her do her thing. She was a really nice girl anyway. Once she realized it was going to be a pleasant experience, she loosened up and we chatted away. In the end, she did a good job and I was happy. Her supervisor didn't find any mistakes and everything was good.

I was a massage therapist for quite awhile. I worked at a spa for a year and I will never do that again. The money was pretty good sometimes, but there are way too many people that need to micromanage their massage. It's one thing to say that their shoulders are tight or they have an old knee surgery or neck injury or whatever the case may be, but you should just relax after that unless something is painful or ticklish. I assume cutting hair is the same way.

rapunzhell13
June 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Oh, another thing. Please try not to cancel last minute. You have no idea how frustrating that is, especially when you've gotten everything set up and ready only to find out that your client can't make it that day. We took up our time for you that could have been filled by someone else instead. Once or twice if you're a regular or if you have a real emergency, but don't do it just because you don't feel like coming out or something more interesting pops up.

Please let us know exactly what you want too. I think a lot of the trouble here with salon horror stories on LHC is a lack of communication. We're not mind readers. We have scissors, not magic wands.

I agree with everything you've said here, kwani. For hairdressers, time is money. If you don't turn up for an appointment and there are no walk-in clients to fill that space, no money can be earnt in that time slot. It is essentially wasted. If something comes up, let the salon know! A lot of people are too embarrassed to call in, but it's honestly the best thing to do. Most salons aren't fussed as long as it's not a recurring thing.

Communication is probably the single biggest issue when it comes to dissatisfied clients. The hairdresser should have communication skills, but like kwani said, they're not mind readers! Don't be afraid of sounding stupid. Give as much detail as possible, pictures too if you can. What the hairdresser considers copper red may not be the same as what you're envisioning.

Although, you should be careful with pictures. A lot of people would bring in pictures of celebrities with VASTLY different hair and facial features to their own. If you have thick, coarse, curly black hair and come in with a picture of Cameron Diaz with a blonde bob... well it's technically not "impossible", but it won't look exactly the same and it will be EXTREMELY high maintenance. It also may not suit you, at all. One trick we were taught was to cover the face of the model and ask the client if they still loved the hairstyle.

If the hairdresser advises against a certain hairstyle, there's probably a very good reason for it! They are professionals with a great deal of training and experience. They're not out to get you, I promise. Their professional livelihoods depend on your satisfaction.

rapunzhell13, former hairdresser. :waving:

ilovelonghair
June 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
I had a good experience when I was tired of my bleached hair and wanted to go back to my own color. The stylist who is a friend of my aunt and who always does my aunts hair said to me that it wasn't possible: it would turn green, so she suggested a kind of 'Sahara' color in the same darkness as my hair. She did that and it was so beautiful!

I also had hair stylists warn me when I wanted the 'Rachel hairstyle' (I asked several times, different hairdressers) that they were sure I wouldn't want it as it would take constant styling.
That was a good tip!

And the hairdresser who said to me: anything you do extra to your hair (not counting washing, conditioning, oiling) is not good for it. Another good tip!

alwayssmiling
June 2nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
My hairdresser used to tell me that she would have problems with people trying to haggle with the price AFTER the hair had been done. Which I thought was a little unfair when she is a small salon trying to make her business profitable. I don't think I could do that, and I'm very frugal.

I wonder if its a bit draining listening to other peoples tittle tattle all day too :hmm:

Merlin
June 2nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
I wonder if its a bit draining listening to other peoples tittle tattle all day too :hmm:

"So, where are you going on your holidays?"

melikai
June 2nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
I remember once when I went in to get my hair highlighted, there was an older woman in the chair next to me. She had very bleached out hair, and wanted them to put in lowlights and make it darker. So they showed her the colours they would do and proceeded.

Well, once she saw that her hair was no longer white blonde, she freaked out. Told them it was way way way too dark and looked horrible. It didn't look horrible, she was just used to having extremely light hair - I actually thought it looked much better! She threw such a fit that they just bleached her out again and then she was happy. :rolleyes:

I think half the time people don't even know what they want. I couldn't believe that woman's behaviour, and felt so badly for her stylist who was berated for doing exactly what was asked of her!

VERONICAT
June 2nd, 2010, 02:50 AM
Well, I´m sorry, but my experiences with hair stylists are very bad...They love to cut and do experiments with long hair.

A long time ago, a woman made a disaster on my hair...She left peroxide too much time and my hair starts fo fall (yes). What an idiot:rolleyes:

StarryNight
June 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
I have a friend who is a stylist and one of the grossest things I have heard her mention is when people do not wash their hair and have bugs! She has actually had to help people like this.

Just last week a little boy threw a tantrum and vomited in her chair, not once, but twice.

Lamb
June 2nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
I have a friend who is a stylist and one of the grossest things I have heard her mention is when people do not wash their hair and have bugs! She has actually had to help people like this.

Years ago, I went to get a shampoo+cut, and the lady who shampoed my hair asked me if I washed it recently. I said yes, why did she ask? She said "Well, I thought you did because the shampoo lathered up so." :shocked: You mean people come in to see you with hair so greasy the shampoo won't lather up??

Carolyn
June 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
I have an elderly friend who has multiple medical conditions. Her doctor told her never to have her hair washed laying back with her head in the basin. She always stands and bends over the sink and they wash her hair like that.

The part of the article that bugged me was the part about being stuck in a time warp. That's really none of the stylist's business. The client should get what she/he wants. I'm sure lots of stylists would say my hair is stuck in the 60s or 70s. I don't want a modern edgy style. I don't really care if it would look good on me. If a stylist wants to bring me up to date, I am outta there.

I think being on time is very important as is trying to communicate what you want. That and a good tip!

myotislucifugus
June 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Years ago, I went to get a shampoo+cut, and the lady who shampoed my hair asked me if I washed it recently. I said yes, why did she ask? She said "Well, I thought you did because the shampoo lathered up so." :shocked: You mean people come in to see you with hair so greasy the shampoo won't lather up??

Ok...ok... I have a confession to make. I have to apologize... I did this to a stylist once. I'd been working all week, and had my hair up in a scarf all week, and hadn't washed, and my hair was... gross. I stopped in because I needed a trim badly, and didn't think about the reality of ickiness in my hair. I'd also done a deep oiling and just hadn't washed my hair.
It was baaaaaaaaad. I don't think there were any problems with the lather, but I know it was bad. Mostly because she kept insisting that she wash it.

I would like to take this moment and apologize to every stylist who has had to deal with this. I honestly didn't think about it until my hair had been washed. I am sorry. :flower:
Of course, my hair looked amazing and super shiny when she was done...

Altocumulus
June 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
I think I'm fairly boring to stylists because I don't get interesting styles or color, but otherwise inoffensive. I'm on time for my appointments, not chatty, I don't come in with really dirty hair, I don't complain about sulfates or cones even though I don't use them at home, I let them blow it out straight if they want to (I would refuse flat ironing, but haven't had to because no one has ever asked to use one on me), and I leave a good tip.

freckles
June 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
The part of the article that bugged me was the part about being stuck in a time warp. That's really none of the stylist's business. The client should get what she/he wants. I'm sure lots of stylists would say my hair is stuck in the 60s or 70s. I don't want a modern edgy style. I don't really care if it would look good on me. If a stylist wants to bring me up to date, I am outta there.

I agree. Stylists have every right to complain about customers who are late, who don't show up, who are rude, who yell at them for simply doing what they're asked, etc. All the things that people in client-facing jobs shouldn't have to deal with. But it's not up to the stylist to choose the style, it's not their hair. If a stylist wanted to choose my style for the experience or the practise or whatever, they should be paying me, not vice versa. :p

I have a lot of respect for good hairstylists, managing to be chatty and friendly all the time despite the fact that some customers can be so difficult. I don't think I could do it. :)

Bast
June 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Ok...ok... I have a confession to make. I have to apologize... I did this to a stylist once. I'd been working all week, and had my hair up in a scarf all week, and hadn't washed, and my hair was... gross. I stopped in because I needed a trim badly, and didn't think about the reality of ickiness in my hair. I'd also done a deep oiling and just hadn't washed my hair.
It was baaaaaaaaad. I don't think there were any problems with the lather, but I know it was bad. Mostly because she kept insisting that she wash it.

I actually had to do similar once. My shower broke and it took me a week to get it fixed - this was an apartment complex and the one handyman was always overworked - and trying to wash it in the sink just wasn't happening. With no other resources, took my greaseball of a head to the mall just for a wash (but got a trim, too, why not since I was there?)

Of course, then the stylist burnt my neck with the hair dryer. Had a nice little red spot for a couple days.

Although I've found a stylist that actually understands my goals now, and actually listens.

amaiaisabella
June 2nd, 2010, 08:37 AM

*nods* I hear you on this. I used to work as a hairdresser's assistant and half the time people just wouldn't show up, or worse, show up half an hour late and were SO surprised we a) either couldn't take them because they had scheduled too many services we no longer had time for, or b) made them wait until we DID have time to service them. Oy. :rolleyes:

Also, please, if you have a super important event to go to and call the day before (or the day of!) to make an appointment, please do not get peeved with ME because we are unable to fit you in. Schedule, people. Presumably this event was not a surprise to you. A trim we could fit in, waxing sure, but you wanting color + cut + a blowout + an eyebrow wax is a no go.

jel
June 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
A trim we could fit in, waxing sure, but you wanting color + cut + a blowout + an eyebrow wax is a no go.

LOL, this reminds me of the Cougar Town "mani-wax", where the main character missed her appointments for a mani-pedi and a bikini wax and then had a combined session... Ouch!:D

Otherwise, I agree, good communication (both ways) is essential between a stylist and a client. Or trust - but that has to be earned!

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think I've ever had a bad hair stylist. Some of them have been friendly, some of them have known me for a long time (my mom took me to the same hairdresser for as long as I could remember up 'til I was 16), and some have been cold and standoffish. I rarely ever have the same stylist more than twice. I've always loved the way they've handled my hair, though.

Got to say, I'm probably guilty of wanting a style that would not work with my hair type. I had really wavy hair last summer and went to Great Clips wanting this angled cut that took tons of straightening to pull off and my stylist said it wouldn't look right, but I told her that was okay and to go ahead anyway.

I don't think I get up in anybody's face about anything (working retail, I feel for anyone else who has to deal with bad customers, so I try not to be one), but I find it kind of hard to talk to some stylists sometimes. I'm not really one for too much small talk, and some of the hairdressers I've had are all small talk. That, and paying tips - I usually pay $5-7 for a very simple cut, but it's a very simple cut and I don't want to spend my whole paycheck for a haircut.

Please don't shoot me! I'm cheap! :run:

teela1978
June 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Please don't shoot me! I'm cheap! :run:
I'm with you :) I generally trim my own hair these days, but even before that I would get a cut once or twice a year, at a walk-in place, usually for less than $10. I don't think I've ever made a hair cutting appointment that I would have had to cancel!

ETA: although, once I did decide to treat myself and go to the nice haircutting place near my house (as a walk-in). I didn't realize how much it would be and was only able to tip $2 which I felt quite bad about... never expected a haircut to cost that much though!

young&reckless
June 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've only had to cancel one hair cut appointment but since my stylist is also a bar tender at my favorite pub I made it up to her in tips. :)

I love hair place, I ask for what I want and they give it to me and we work together if I'm wanting something new or need help.

SHELIAANN1969
June 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've only had to cancel one hair cut appointment but since my stylist is also a bar tender at my favorite pub I made it up to her in tips. :)

I love hair place, I ask for what I want and they give it to me and we work together if I'm wanting something new or need help.

So long as she goes from the haircutting to the bartending and not the other way around I guess it's safe that she won't be :toast: :beerchug: :beercheer: or :beer: before cutting anyones hair!

cybernetica
June 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have yet to find a hairdresser I would return to! I can't wait for the day I do tho.

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Oh lord, by far the clients who drive me CRAZY in my salon are the ones who come for several services all at once, so they know they are going to be in the salon for quite some time, and they bring their children with them ! And then they let their children run through the salon like wild monkeys !!! We are talking about a large, upscale salon where there are plenty of things that could be dangerous in the hands of a small child. It's not everyone else's responsibility to watch your children, we are not in the daycare business. And you are intruding on the other clients in the salon as well, it is their time to be pampered and your screaming wild brat is ruining their experience.
I also hate it when someone gets bothered with one of my stylists when they won't give them exactly what they want and there is a good reason why. If you come in and say you want your hair colored, highlighted and then permed - ALL AT ONCE - we are going to say no and explain that your hair will not survive !!!!! Thank us for being honest with you, we could just take your money and fry your hair..........

GRU
June 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Oh lord, by far the clients who drive me CRAZY in my salon are the ones who come for several services all at once, so they know they are going to be in the salon for quite some time, and they bring their children with them ! And then they let their children run through the salon like wild monkeys !!! We are talking about a large, upscale salon where there are plenty of things that could be dangerous in the hands of a small child. It's not everyone else's responsibility to watch your children, we are not in the daycare business. And you are intruding on the other clients in the salon as well, it is their time to be pampered and your screaming wild brat is ruining their experience.

This is SUCH a pet peeve of mine... not just at salons, but anywhere and everywhere in public in general -- grocery store, library, restaurant, Walmart, dentist office, etc. I'm fond of the coffee shop sign that says:

Unattended Children Will Be Given an Espresso and a Puppy

What ever happened to teaching your kid to behave in public??? This is something we were able to teach my kid at a VERY young age. I can count on two fingers the number of times we have had to remove him from a restaurant because he was disturbing other customers -- once when he was 2 months old, and once when he was 19 months old.

It really isn't that hard to bring along items to keep him happy/occupied (crackers if he's hungry, toys if he's bored), and by the time they're preschoolers (if not toddlers), they are able to understand that certain behaviors are not allowed in certain places.

It's not the kids who are the problem... it's the irresponsible parents. :mad:

(told ya it was a pet peeve of mine!!!!)

amaiaisabella
June 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM

We had the same issue! I've seen some well-behaved kids (giving them a book or a handheld video game helps greatly), but for goodness sakes, parents. I get it, sometimes you can't/won't/it isn't possible to get babysitters. But really? Is a place where hot irons, dyes, and chemical odors the best place for your child? Seriously? :shake: And the whole thing about ruining it for other customers- the ones who don't have kids or were able to get a babysitter to get some pampering time in- very true. In the end, you'll either lose out on their service, or they'll spread the word that you have an ill-run salon, so you lose either way.

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think the other clients are intuitive enough to know where the real blame lies, they are usually frustrated with the child's parent and not us. The ones with the wild children don't always come back, because I am prone to having a stern word with them.

ilovelonghair
June 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I cut my own hair, I think it is a waste of time for me and a hair dresser to do my hair: microtrim every 2 weeks or at least once a month.

Toadstool
June 4th, 2010, 02:32 AM

LOL My current hairdresser is very young and very sweet (and I think she thinks I'm about a hundred) and we just talk about her boyfriend and friends and what they did when they went out last night and who fell out with whom and`how she got a sunburn at the weekend etc etc
i don't mind because I usually am not going anywhere on holiday or going out at the weekend so have nothing to say!

countryhopper
June 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
GRU, I totally agree!

I can't STAND it when parents let their kids control them! This includes giving into tantrums!

clears throat. tries not to think about screaming brats. tries to remember the OT

Oh, yes. No, I've never broken an appointment. Because I've never made one. :D I have family member stylists, and basically they used to do what they wanted with my hair. It all worked out fine.