PDA

View Full Version : Technique for scalp-only washing?

tanya222
May 31st, 2010, 11:10 PM
I think I want to try scalp-only washings, but I don't have the first clue how to go about it.

In fact before I found out about this forum I had often thought to myself that I wished I could only wash my scalp, as the length of my hair still smelled clean, only the scalp was greasy, but I kept abandoning the idea as the logistics of scalp-only washing was too odd for me to figure out. :o

I just keep imagining bending over a sink to do it? Or is it done in the shower? And I can't help but wonder, isn't there inevitably going to be a line of suds left in there, in between where you wanted to wash, and where you want to draw the line and keep the rest dry? (I hope I've explained this ok, and not confused everyone down to my level of confusion LOL :p)

Can someone either explain to me how to do this, or point me to a link about it?

CrowningGlory
June 1st, 2010, 01:14 AM
These are two methods that I use:

Method 1: My preferred method when showering. Take an old sports sock (one that’s not too thin and has a bit of ‘stretch’) and cut the toe out. Roll up to form a ring. Pull hair into a pony tail (you can use a scrunchi or hair-safe elastic but it’s not necessary) and place the sock ring over the pony. Wrap hair as for a bun and place on top of the sock. Cover with a shower cap (the disposable ones that come in colour kits or are in motels work well – just don’t dispose of them!) and tuck the edges under the sock. Cover with another shower cap (an ordinary one this time is best) and secure with a scrunchi (don’t bother tucking the edge under the bun this time). Shampoo as usual under the shower. Voila! Clean scalp hair and dry length.

Method 2: For over the bath, in the bath, under the kitchen/laundry tap (faucet). Braid hair. I prefer to do a French or Dutch Braid because less hair escapes the braid which results in less tangles. Tuck the braid out of the way (inside a shirt is great or under a towel draped around the shoulders), wet the scalp hair, shampoo, rinse, and repeat if desired.

I usually scalp wash every second day. I've been doing the first method in the bath and just pouring jugs of water over my hair. Just recently I've been experimenting with egg washes and these work well when doing a scalp wash. I just apply to dry hair and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before rinsing out.

When I've not wanted to do even a scalp wash and my hair has been dirty, I've just used a facecloth to wet the worst areas, applied a small amount of shampoo, and then used the facecloth to rinse the shampoo out.

Hope that helps.

ilovelonghair
June 1st, 2010, 06:07 AM
I just hold my hair up in the air with one hand, but you need strong arms for that to hold hair up so long, but it works. And of course it needs to be long enough.

missfortune9335
June 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM
I would *love* to do scalp only washings, right now I seem to be in a cycle that by the time my ends are looking nice the top needs to be washed again (my ends are usually looking great by day two or three, but the scalp not so much....) but with my layers my hair isn't quite long enough to keep it all out of the way :(

Calista
June 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85) is an article on scalp washing, written by Amoretti.

tanya222
June 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Oh, thank you for the helpful replies everyone!

I was thinking that I would need a handheld showerhead to do this! I don't have that, my showerhead is fixed. However I just might be able to do this over my kitchen sink which has a small corded handheld little spray nozzle, however it doesn't give much water pressure. I am imagining you need some serious water pressure to be able to rinse properly with this method? Or perhaps if the top hair is loose enough I could still work the nozzle inside my hair a bit to rinse?

I really like the method that the article describes, I really am going to try this! Plus there's the advantage of having the countertop to rest your arm on, holding up the hair. I just hope that spray nozzle gives enough water pressure.

Thanks again for the help! :)

GoddesJourney
June 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Here's my method for scalp washing with thick/coarse hair. I start my wash on dry hair because I find it's easier to keep the shampoo/conditioner where I want it and I can rinse it out immediately after lathering without it dripping all over.

Shower method with shampoo: I pick up the very top layer of my hair (the part that forms the canopy) and bun it. I do this step because I otherwise have a hard time shampooing and rinsing the stuff in the back of my head, because the water doesn't penetrate my hair well even if I help it with my hands. I then take shampoo and apply it to dry hair by sliding my fingers under my hair to the roots. After that I apply a small amount or whatever's left over in my hands to the top of my head again by sliding my hair under the roots. I now attempt to lather the shampoo on dry roots. I then wet my hands and use that tiny amount of water to lather it up a little more. Now I can get into the shower and rinse it all out. I may either do this by holding up the ends of my hair to avoid getting anything on my length, or by rinsing out as usual. I don't take the little 1/3 up bun out until everything is out of the rest, or I will have a hard time rinsing it out. After this, I condition scalp to ends.

Shower method with CO is exactly the same only the first part is done with conditioner instead of shampoo.

Tressie
June 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hi! If you have a fixed shower head you can hold your braid out of the way and put your head under that. It is a little tricky, and sometimes you get more hair wet than you probably would with a hand held, but it works!

Also, over the tub, you could use a plastic container of some sort, pre-filled with tepid or cool water, to rinse repeatedly. It will get the soap out, if you don't over do the shampoo application. Good luck! (o:

Flaxen
June 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Here's (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15591) and old scalp washing thread that might help you. :smile:

TinyTim
June 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
Cool, I think I will try this too.

Feng-Shui
June 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
I will test in any case method from Amoretti.

I will mean braid to hang on chopping.

So I have two free hands.

I want to see whether it for me functioned.:)

tanya222
June 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that link Flaxen! That's got tons of tips on differing methods of doing it, I plan on trying some out!!

Ambystoma
March 27th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Totally necro'ing this thread to share with you guys my first successful scalp wash method from today!
1. loose braid all hair, leaving it very loose at the nape of the neck.
2. roll braid up loosely and place it into a plastic shopping bag and secure tightly at the top, over the plastic with an elastic, leaving around the top 6" of the braid out.
3. wrap fabric (I used a handkerchief) around the top of the plastic and braid where they meet to sop up any leaks and tie tightly.
4. cover the fabric and the first plastic bag with ANOTHER plastic bag, secured tightly around the top with an elastic, just like the first.

At this point, there was around 3 or 4" of hair left out uncovered, and I washed it the same as usual, holding the ball of bags to support the weight when I was getting my fingers into the parts close to my neck so I wasn't pulling on the hairs at all.

Then, once I'd rinsed extra well, stepped out of the shower and blotted all the scalp hair a little with a towel to sop up the excess moisture, took all the bags and fabric (which had gotten pretty wet) off and yay! Everything from shoulder length down was dry!

Hopefully these instructions help someone :D

Amy-Lee
October 11th, 2020, 02:04 AM
I just hold my hair up in the air with one hand, but you need strong arms for that to hold hair up so long, but it works. And of course it needs to be long enough.

After looking up scalp only washes, I didn't know how to prevent shampoo from reaching the ends. Holding the hair up while shampooing makes sense.