PDA

View Full Version : calling all curly hairs!!

Naters
May 31st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hey everyone, so i was taking a shower today and became horrified at how much hair was left in the drain!! I only wash my hair once a week~ but since i have curly hair and it is pretty dry i try and stay as long as possible before washing again. Do any of you experience this as well? I know that it is normal to lose so many hairs in a day and since i dont comb my hair between washes I'm thinking that could be the case.

liseling
May 31st, 2010, 12:37 PM
I lose a lot of hair (which horrifies my family) and I shower it almost every day. So if your rate of shedding is anything like mine and you only shower it once a week, you'd have a pretty huge hairball.
If you're worried you could always count the hairs and average the number to find out how many you lose per day - I think average is about 100 hairs per day. That might be more time consuming than you'd want to do though. If you know this is a normal rate for you and your hair isnt getting progressively thinner and thinner then I wouldnt worry about it :)

Naters
May 31st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks so much liseling:)!! It definetely is a huge hairball, kinda scary lol..It's not getting thinner which is good, but if i ever do have a lot of time on my hands i just might count.

loralie
May 31st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Should be normal! Sheds are common this time of year. Plus, being curly, your curls tend to hold all of the shed hairs unless you brush before washing, which like you said, explains it!

I've got pretty straight hair but I probably lose at least 20 or so hairs everytime I shower... but I don't tend to comb in between so there you go!

Athena's Owl
May 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
totally normal. when you don't comb your hair between washes and you're not washing every day, you're going to wind up with a drain critter. don't panic!

Cailie
May 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm shedding a lot these days too !!

liseling
May 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I love that term "drain critter"! Sort of an affectionate way to think of that nasty slimy hairball I get to pick out of the drain when I shower :)

lemonmelon
May 31st, 2010, 01:36 PM
I think that hair loss in the shower is also more noticeable because you're raking your hands through your hair and scrubbing and this allows the already shed hairs to come out. Since you only wash once a week it could just be the accumulated already shed hairs that you're letting lose in the shower.

I've also noticed that if I wear my hair up for a while and don't comb, that I'll have clumps come out the next time I do. I think this is just because the hair gets trapped.

Belisarius
May 31st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Yes, happens to me too. Just be gentle with it and apply conditioner liberally to get the tangles out.

rachelily
May 31st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Agreed, you should be ok. Usually I find that the days I straighten my hair or run my fingers through it or brush it, the following shower I lose not much hair at all. Curly days though when I don't touch it at all, the next shower sees a ton of hair in the drain! I think it's all just a matter of how often the hair gets handled. When you don't mess with your hair, the looser hairs just stay in the curls until they are washed out.

TigerLily1
May 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM
I am glad you posted this question, I have very curly hair and have been loosing hair like that for about 18 months, even though I was daily… I’d expect if I didn’t wash and comb for days, I would notice more hair falling once showering.

If I leave my hair curly I have to wash it (even if its CO wash) daily … else the curls looks so messy and frizzy, how do you manage if you don’t wash and comb the hair daily? I’d love to do that, but I only could do this if I straighten my hair, if you have tips on on how to style curly hair/set the curls without having to wash/condition it, please let me know :)

Oksana
May 31st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I lose so many hairs, i use a special plug with smaller holes that stop the hairs going down the drain and clogging the pipe, it has created a slight obsession with counting how many hairs it traps after every shower...:o

Starfilly
June 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Sounds normal to me! You could construct a small dog from the amount of hair I lose every time I wash, which is about three times a week. The only thing preventing a drain clog of apocalyptic proportions is one of those handy hair trap things.

If I leave my hair curly I have to wash it (even if its CO wash) daily … else the curls looks so messy and frizzy, how do you manage if you don’t wash and comb the hair daily?

I have some amount of success with re-wetting the hair. If I have leftover product from the day before, I just dampen it and re-scrunch. If not, I have to use a bit more water and then a little gel or something. It never seems to look quite as good as first-day hair, but it's passable!

BotticelliCurls
June 3rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
you should be okay :).

i shed REALLY bad in November for some reason.

anyone know why?