PDA

View Full Version : I think my hair doesn't like protein

pinklemonade
May 31st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone. Just as I was finally starting to accept split ends, guess what? Today I woke up and almost every hair is breaking off (there are tiny white dots at the ends or higher up). I would love some feedback, has this happend to anyone else, is this damage permanent, how quick will it take to get back to normal?
Yesterday I used molasses as a pre-shampoo treatment and then I used a new shampoo (for the first time) which contained vegetable protein. Usually I just focus on my scalp when I shampoo (I dilute shampoo too), but yesterday since I wanted to make sure I get rid of all the molasses, I shampooed (sp?) my ends as well. It was a non-sls shampoo but it contains tea trea oil and whatnot, but I'm sure it's the protein that did this! I'm annoyed with myself because I've been treating my hair really well, s&ding every day, using coconut oil treatments, washing only once a week, no heat appliances.

Anyway, just wanted to vent and the best place is here :p We learn from our mistakes.... I put some jojoba oil on my ends and let's hope for the best. I think I'm going to avoid looking at my hair at all though, because all the breakage is giving me a headache!

UltraBella
May 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Some people have a really hard time with tea tree, it can be very drying on certain individuals. Sorry you have so much breakage, that can be very upsetting :(

Gumball
May 31st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Lots of the time when you use a product with protein in it you also have to follow it up with lots of moisture. Did you also do that? It helps to know if your hair is okay with protein when it gets moisture, too. I know my hair, for instance, hates protein no matter how much moisturizing I try to do after it. Fortunately if your hair really doesn't like it then it will love when you stop using it! :D

Athena's Owl
May 31st, 2010, 01:07 PM
have you used the molasses before?

And those white dots mean damage. the hair will break at the white dot, and then the hair will split.

you're going to have to grow the damage out and keep on babying.