PDA

View Full Version : No more hiding!

adiapalic
May 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm feeling really euphoric today. Maybe it's because I just saw Neil Young in concert last night, but I think it's something else too. I just wanted to thank The LHC and it's support for instilling so much confidence in me. The past few years, I've explored a whole new world of different hair styles in this place, and I think it's changed me a little.

All through high school, I don't think I ever went more than with a half-up, and even then I felt self-conscious. Rarely did I ever wear my hair up in a pony tail or a twisted bun held by an ouchless rubberband. Only when I was scorching hot outside--then I didn't care what anyone thought--but never at school.

Almost all through college was the same--I had to wear my hair down unless of course it was a safety hazard when using print presses in the printmaking room, or I was painting with oils, and there was an open jar of mineral spirits on a nearby table. Toward the end of college, I had bought some hair sticks and was dabbling in wearing some buns out, but still a little uncomfortable.

Finally, with graduating college and following this past year of being a post-undergrad, I've got a job and for practical reasons refuse to let my hair down while I'm working there. I've become much more confident with wearing updo's in public, and I wear a different one to work everyday. There's been barely a day gone past that I haven't received at least one compliment on my updo. I know it might sound pathetic, but it's really raised my self-esteem.

I've went from the need to have my hair down to hide myself (which, like most anyone here, I love the way my hair looks down) to being able to comfortably wear nice updos that expose my entire face and neck in public. I don't need to hide anymore, and now I only wear my hair down for special occasions, and when I want to. (An added incentive is that this is much healthier for my hair ;).)

Before I write a book, I'm gonna go ahead and finish with this-- last night at the concert I wore this updo I tried for a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48306). I really wish I took pictures of it last night, because it turned out so much better... but here's the one I took when I first tried it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2670&pictureid=72136

I surprised myself by actually wearing this out, but it was a special event so I decided I should use a special updo I'd never worn out before. I got the most turned heads I ever had, and even a few compliments. It made me feel good about myself.

While I don't base my appearance on the assurance of others entirely, this did make me feel great. Having this feeling is a confession, of sorts. I just wanted to thank all of you for getting me to this place. :flower:

curlycrown
May 31st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Well I havent been here long enough to inspire you but just reading your post makes me feel good. It lets me know that I am in the right place. Im glad that i joined this forum!:)

Loreley
May 31st, 2010, 09:05 AM
What a beautiful updo! :heart:
I still love wearing my hair down to hide myself. But I don't do it often, only once a week or so. I got used to updos but I still don't like wearing them much.

FrannyG
May 31st, 2010, 09:06 AM
What a wonderful positive post! I think you've just inspired as many people as have ever inspired you. And your braided updo is lovely.

How fantastic that you had a chance to see Neil Young. Isn't he amazing?

Thank you for this uplifting post. :blossom:

Speckla
May 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM
That is lovely. Well done!

Purdy Bear
May 31st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Im Ooohing and Ahhhhing, the updo is totally gorgious. I just have to wait for my hair to catch up to try it :)

emmabovary
May 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
What a gorgeous updo! I wish my hair was long enough to do it! :) I know what you mean about hiding behind your hair. I'm glad you're overcoming that, and a tad envious of you seeing Neil Young!

Underlig
May 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
I so know what you mean. I've always had my hair down, ever since I was little with my TB length hair. You won't find any pictures of me with my hair up. Then last spring I got a fringe cut, and during the summer I had my hair up quite a bit, since I still had my fringe to hide behind. but during fall, I've let my fringe grow out, and so I stopped having my hair up.

Now however, I've worked in a coffee shop for about two months. This has forced me to have my hair up all day for work. Which is great, because I think I'm finally comfortable with no hair in my face. For the first time ever. At least some days I am. Some days I just want to hide, but I'm definitely getting there. =)

Oh, and that updo is truly gorgeous. I saw that thread when it was started, but didn't bother checking back for replies. When I opened this thread and saw your updo, I immediately recognized it from the original. Great job!

loralie
May 31st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Neil Young! He was amazing huh? I saw him last year... couldn't believe that dude can still solo and rock out at his age! I feel so grateful to have seen him at least once in my life, hope I get the chance again!

Love that braided updo, it looks gorgeous. Good for you for finally finding your confidence! I think alot of us have spent time hiding behind their hair, wear it up and be proud, it's beautiful and so are you! :)

*Aoife*
May 31st, 2010, 02:06 PM
I am so jealous of your hair and especially that updo! It's magnificant :D

Capybara
May 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM
You don't sound pathetic at all! I can totally relate. I used to not feel pretty when I wore my hair up, (it was either "sporty chick" or "mean bun lady" :p ) but now that I (thanks to LHC) have knowledge of great up-do's that look nice, feel good, and are functional, I can feel pretty when I wear my hair up!

I saw that braided style in the original thread! It's gorgeous. :crush: Did you happen to post instructions anywhere? :D

Elenna
May 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wearing hair up takes a bit getting used to. But I love the braids in your hairdo.

cindy58
May 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Good job! The hair, and the feeling!

fair isle
May 31st, 2010, 06:30 PM
It's really amazing how our hair can reflect where we are in terms of our self-esteem/body issues. I know I hid behind my hair as a teenager. Congratulations on becoming more comfortable with yourself, it's a wonderful feeling. I also think it's great that you can share so openly I'm sure it will help others, and it is inspiring!

Also best concert I've ever seen, Neil Young playing with Crazy Horse in 1996. :)

Yozhik
May 31st, 2010, 07:18 PM
What a beautiful post. I hope you really enjoyed the concert.

Your updo looks amazing, and I'm glad that you've gained the confidence to wear it! (We'd all be missing out if you hadn't ;))

You're so strong to have opened up like this over past insecurities! :flower:

McFearless
May 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
This is such a cute post. Im glad you're happy with your hair. That updo is fantastic:)

adiapalic
June 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Thank you all so much for your sweet comments. :flower:

I think I'll try to put together some instructions on how I did the updo. I really can't think of a better way to secure the braids aside from a bunch of bobby pins. Any better suggestions?

Yes, Neil Young was awesome. I kept getting cold-chills just listening... he even sang a wonderful improv of "Cortez the Killer"--one of my favorites of his. :)

rapunzhell13
June 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
That's a really pretty updo!

For me it was always the opposite. I always wore my hair up. I was shy and felt like having my hair down drew too much attention. Eventually I got used to wearing it down and had to force myself to wear it up again. :lol: Funny how these things work!

Dvips
June 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
{{hugs}} adiapalic, I am glad you are where you are today. And I am glad LHC helped to get you there. :flowers:

Laurenji
June 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
That's a gorgeous updo! :agape:

That's so interesting that you've felt the need to hide behind your hair, and thus always wore it down. I am completely the opposite. I have almost never worn my hair down, except when I cut it too short to put up. I can't stand the feeling of hair in my face. I hate how tangly and stringy-looking it gets after I wear it down for a few hours without a brush nearby, and the way it gets caught in everything. In some ways, I guess it's kind of like I hide my hair from the world, instead of using my hair to hide myself...

Way to go on the updos, though! That one is beautiful, and updos get more and more fun the more that you know how to do. Keep up the good work!

Tressie
June 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Glad you are feeling good! Lovely updo too!! (o:

skay
June 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
That's a great-looking updo!

Congrats on reaching a "breakthrough." :)