PDA

View Full Version : help - hair has gone suddenly dry??

Evie
May 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hello

I hope someone here can give me some advice. I've not changed any products I'm using, my diet has not changed, and I've not started any new medication.

But in the last week, my hair has felt suddenly really dry?? I don't know why - it seemed to happen so fast, I can't think of a good reason for it.

It's been very hot for a few days (unusual in the UK at this time of year), could it be that? I have been under a bit of pressure at work, but its been like that before and I've not noticed any difference.

My routine is as follows:

dilute shampoo and condish every 2 - 3 days
Henndigo every 5 -6 weeks (I use tea rather than lemon juice etc)
Rare blowdrying, but this hasn't changed, in fact it has got less and not more....

I'm getting a bit worried about it now.....does anyone have any ideas why this might have happened?

Capybara
May 30th, 2010, 01:54 PM
The heat could have something to do with it. I know that I have to moisturize my (already dry) hair more meticulously in the summer.

Maybe you could try oiling your hair, or a SMT? Hope it returns to normal soon :blossom:

jera
May 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Age and hormones? Are you on BC?
Also, I wanted to mention that it can take anywhere from 6 - 18 months for trauma to show up as damage on hair.

Sunny_side_up
May 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
People i know seem to think air conditioning affects the hair and skin, at work (when its working) few of my colleagues say their skin feels dry. With the hotter weather i've noticed more people have gone for major and minor cuts, some through wanting a change for the summer months 'manageability' and others getting trims because of dryness.
The outside area at work has alot of people sitting in it during lunchtime and it has been pretty hot out, notice my sandwiches getting dryed and on the verge of minor toasting! So i guess if you're not in a hat/ hair scarf all day the recent sunny spells can bring on dryness. Oils are a help to me and i avoid being in the sun for long:)

Lamb
May 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I'm in the same boat, and we are having a heatwave here as well. (Came on suddenly and temps are much higher than what is normal at this time of the year.) My hair is having trouble adjusting to the sudden change of the atmosphere, and air conditioning (while it is the only thing that keeps me sane) doesn not benefit my hair.
I try to condition my hair more often and drink a lot of water.

(Note: PMS can sometimes cause this, too, at least for me.)

Evie
June 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks - I'm trying to drink more, as my skin has seemed a little dry too. My hair is just getting long enough to oil when I tie it up, so that will help I'm sure.

I have also taken a good look at my diet, and thought it might be worth adding more oily fish etc? Not too much, just I could probably do with eating a bit more.

I have also purchased some products (as natural and gentle as I can find) that might work with my curly / wavy hair and maybe add a bit more moisture.

The comment that it may take many months for trauma to show up in hair is interesting. I split from my husband just over a year ago, which was a very stressful time. I wonder if that is coming through in my hair at the moment? I will baby it and hope that helps.

Thanks so much everyone

Yozhik
June 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
This has begun to happen to me, too! I was hoping that it's just because of the change in weather. I'm a little confused, though, because it's hot here, but also very humid. :confused:

Hopefully oiling and a more moisture-filled regime will compensate for hotter weather.

ETA: I'm sorry to hear about your previous stress. I hope you're feeling better now :flower:

frizzinator
June 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
What kind of tea are you using in your henndigo? Most teas are roasted, which makes them very dry. When I drink tea, I get thirsty and it dries out my nasal passages. This is true of green tea as well as black tea. I have had less of this "drying" problem with white tea.

If you must use tea on your hair, maybe some kind of herbal tea would work, although some of them are roasted.

Athena's Owl
June 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'd wonder what the changes in relative humidity are, what sort of climate contol methods you're exposed to, and what is in your normal shampoo and conditioner. sounds like your usual products and methods aren't standing up to the weather change, is all.

Speckla
June 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
It could be the weather. My winter routine works well and I have great hair and than *poof* yucky, dry and frizz hair when spring comes. Then it's time to try different products until I establish a good routine/good hair and then the seasons change again. :)