PDA

View Full Version : Do you wish that long hair was more common where you live?

rosieex3
May 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I love looking at long hair, I think it is so beautiful and it would be amazing if some more of my friends, and people in my school had at least waist length hair and beyond. Where I live at least, generally, the average length is about BSL or shorter. I wish long hair was more common on all ages, but at the same time...I love how it is kind of unique! Because it can really make you stand out at times. In my school I always get "your hair is so long!" compliments (even though it's nowhere near as long as hair on LHC! :D) and I really enjoy it. Do you wish long hair was more common, or do you like "standing out" more because of it?

MsBubbles
May 30th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Yes I wish it were more common where I live (Southeastern US). Even the girls at my son's High School have APL/BSL at the most.

I was hoping that the whole hair-extension craze would make long hair more common/desirable.

jane53
May 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I live in the Southeastern U.S. also. APL and BSL are the "long hairs" around here. Mine is hip length. Maybe if there were more people with long hair, people would stop telling me I should have mine cut "at my age." (Note: my hair is healthy, well-kept, and not scraggly. The suggestion that I should cut my hair "at my age" often comes immediately after a comment that I have very beautiful hair.)

JenniferNoel
May 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Around where I've been living (central/western FL), there are enough tourists that the average hair length around here is about waist length. Ha... I love it... so much amazing hair to drool over and envy. :p

When I visit the midwest, up in WI it's about 40/60 with the average length being APL.

In Chicago, whenever I visit the city, the average length (well, it's been about a year so this may have changed) seems to be SL or bob.

I personally like standing out, but it's still cool to be able to be around lots of fellow longhairs. So 50/50 for me.

Sara_1987
May 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Around here I don't often see a girl with envy-worthy hair. Once in a while I'll see a girl with nice long hair, but it's rare.

I see quite a few girls with bad extensions though and girls with sort of long hair (but not remarkable, maybe APL) that is all dried out (probably from straightening and whatnot).

I don't really mind, when I grow out my hair to waist length this way it'll be all the more remarkable. (haha, I sound like I love attention. I don't, but I do want people to say "that girl with the nice long hair" about me :p)

Druid of Alba
May 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I live in Ontario, near Toronto, andso many people have short hair. Shoulder length is "long". I can go weeks without seeing anyone with waist length hair! I kind of like it though, so that when my hair is long, it will stand out more. I'll feel proud walking by all the people with dyed, processed, short, fake looking hair, with my long, natural hair blowing ethereally in the wind. Haha :p

Dreamernz
May 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
It's quite common in my school to have long hair (BSL, waist and longer), but not super long hair which is what I aim for, I definitely love the unique twist of it :)

jackiesjottings
May 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm in Oxford, south UK and there are a few people with long hair about. We are in the minority for sure but I see another longhair most days (to me BSL and longer is long but I really notice very long hair, or particularly stunning hair eg lovely colour etc). So yes, we are the minority but there are a fair few :)

Sammich
May 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I wish there were more longhairs here, though like some others; I love standing out. Here in Manchester the average hair length is about BSL. :( I've seen a few waist lengths about but rarely seen hip +.

naereid
May 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that I do look forward to being somewhat different. Long hair isn't extremely rare around here, but still rare enough to turn some heads. Just this week I saw 3-4 tailbone+ lengths. I get a little sad that they can't see I'm a fellow longhair; I just blend in the crowd... :o

Masara
May 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
It's probably the age group I work with (early teens) but BSL to waist hair isn't all that unusual. At over 40 with hip length hair, I'm a bit more unusual, but not shockingly so. I need a few more inches to stand out.

I like being a bit different and I know one of the reasons I didn't stop at BSL or at waist was the urge to go beyond the habitual. So I suppose if more people here had waist length, I would need to go to at least tailbone. And so on.
At the same time, more people with longer hair, actually taking care of it and noticing it, would allow me to compare and learn in the same way I do here. What I would really like is more people who do updo beyond ponytails. When I finally met someone in real life who used hairsticks (I mean, beyond sticking a pencil in a bun that lasts 15 minutes) I was desperate to ask her how she managed it.

Carolyn
May 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I live in the midwest USA. There really isn't much long hair here. The under 25 age group mostly has APL hair with BSL being considered quite long. I see very few over 40s with longer than BSL hair. I doubt I see waist length hair even once a week. I wish more people had long hair. I feel like I'm the odd one. That isn't all bad, all the time. Most women with long hair seem to do messy buns and peacock twists so it's hard to know exactly how long their hair is.

Speckla
May 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I haven't seen very long hair (waist+) around here in a long time. Most people have BSL or shorter and it's usually straightened and colored. I haven't seen many naturally curly heads. I work with about 40 women ranging from 19-50ish and my hair is the longest. The next person with hair nearly as long as mine is 53. All the younger girls at work have shoulder or shorter.

ETA: My has henna, so it's techinally 'colored' but has 0% color damange and 0% chemical damage. I shutter when I see straightened hair. Not due to the lack of curl but the broken, flyaway pieces. Reminds me of what I used to do to my hair not out of love for the style but out of hate for my natural curl and texture.

RoseRedDead
May 30th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Nah, not really. I don't care too much what other people do with their hair, and I like being one of the few with "long" (waist+) hair.

HappyHair87
May 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Around where I've been living (central/western FL), there are enough tourists that the average hair length around here is about waist length. Ha... I love it... so much amazing hair to drool over and envy. :p

When I visit the midwest, up in WI it's about 40/60 with the average length being APL.

In Chicago, whenever I visit the city, the average length (well, it's been about a year so this may have changed) seems to be SL or bob.

I personally like standing out, but it's still cool to be able to be around lots of fellow longhairs. So 50/50 for me.

OMG!!! I live in Central Florida is well!!!...HEY NEIGHBOR!!:D....but yeah i see a lot of ppl with BSL hair and longer...plus i have lots of latina friends and they have really long hair.

But in the Black community...its VERY unsual to have Waist Length hair...and they always assume you're mixed with something just bc you do. But no...i'm Black and i treat my hair like a pet or a plant and thats how it grows:)...i wish long hair was more common in the Black community though...so we can get past the myths and the dumb stereotypes:mad:

Fairlight63
May 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I live in Wi. & it is not very common to see longer hair than BSL. At our chruch there is one lady about 40's I guess that has waist length hair.
I never see any hair longer than waist length here.

Quixii
May 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I don't stand out that much. :shrug: At my school, there are a lot of pacific islands with long hair. I stand out a bit them I'm one of the few white kids with long hair, but even then, a lot of girls still have APL-waist length hair. I always encourage people to keep growing their hair, because I just like long hair in general. But it's not that uncommon where I live.

Foxknot
May 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
At my school, there are about four-five people with longer-than waist hair, and a few that have waist-length. Other than that, most girls have BSL and APL. It's kind of nice to stand out, but at the same time, not...some people here are really mean about people being/looking different. >:

Loreley
May 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Where I live hair which is longer than waist-length is pretty rare. I haven't seen anyone with longer hair than classic for years. Actually, I like watching others long hair but I don't want it to be more common. I'm glad that having long hair is unique. :D

pdy2kn6
May 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
No I don't. I love being in class and being the only one with hair past BSL. I think its nice to have that unique thing

DARKMARTIAN
May 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Even though long haired folk are in the minority here...(Oklahoma)....im still kinda surprised to see as many as I do. I will say that it seems like I noticed it more back in school in the late 80's and early 90's tho. But most of my male friends either had long hair at one time or still do presently.....

But ill be honest.....I do enjoy kinda standing out amongst people as a result of it..http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/headbanger.gif

StarryNight
May 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I have a several girlfriends with waist length hair, but I personally don't know anyone with longer than that. I saw a hip length in the car a couple of weeks ago, but generally it's short short short around here.

Pallas
May 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Honestly I don't care if something is popular or not, or even common. Same goes for hair. One thing I do wish for is that long hair would be more common on men. - because to me that's just about the most awesome thing the exists XD

Or really I don't care if it'd be common. Would just be cool if the men I meet had long hair HAHA

(which is sorta already true...)

Pierre
May 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I know some long-haired women at church, and a few elsewhere, but I wish there were more long-haired men. Everyone knows that Samson had long hair, but I don't think it's as well known that Samuel was a born Nazirite too. I've heard dads counsel their sons to be "Sansón y no panzón" (Samson and not big belly), but I don't think they've mentioned that the hair goes along with the strength!

BattahZ
May 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I didn't really pay attention before, but ever since joining LHC I've noticed that long hair is fairly common here (I'm in the DC area). Maybe not long by LHC standards, but I see tons of women on the Metro with BSL to waist length hair.

Aurielle
May 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Long hair is not too common where I live, but there are a lot of girls with BSL hair at my school. I have seen at least 5 girls with longer hair though, and all of them had healthy, undamaged hair, unlike the BSL dyed and straightened styles the more popular girls have. One girl whose thick hair I admire has hers in a tailbone length braid all the time. I haven't yet gathered up enough courage to talk to her, but her hair is very pretty. I would like to see more people with long/longer hair here, but I think it's becoming more popular than it was a few years ago.

There are at least two guys with hair that is BSL equivalent or longer at my school as well. I think those guys take better care of their hair than most of the long-haired girls I've seen since theirs looks more natural and healthy. It also doesn't have tons of product in it like some of the shorter-haired guys and popular girls. I'd like to see more natural, healthy hair on guys and girls here!

jera
May 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
There are lots of long haired women where I live. But, the men. Yuck. Shaved and buzzed heads everywhere. :( It's like being a faerie princess in a land of trolls. I wish the guys would be more interested in long hair here. :pray:

pineconejg
May 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I would like to see more long hair, but I think I might feel differently when my hair is finally long.

Pallas
May 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
There are lots of long haired women where I live. But, the men. Yuck. Shaved and buzzed heads everywhere. :( It's like being a faerie princess in a land of trolls. I wish the guys would be more interested in long hair here. :pray:

HAHA! Faeries and trolls, great way to put it! I'm remembering that one :lol:

Rennire
May 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I see a fair number of girls with long hair where I live. Mostly around waist length and not so healthy but I'm still impressed. I admit that it does make me feel a little bit less special though! =P

FrannyG
May 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I don't see much long hair where I live. Even the high school girls average at about APL, never mind older women such as myself.

I do enjoy seeing long hair when I see it though. Also, I don't ever think about whether I will stand out or not with long hair. It really doesn't matter to me. I just want my hair long for me.

Birdsong
May 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Here in Oregon I have noticed quite a few long hairs (BSL to waist) around. Maybe it is the mix of farming and hippie cultures. I have not had a negative comment about my hair here.

Forever_Sophie
May 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Not really, it doesn't matter to me how others wear their hair... I like shorter hair, too :)

Hair past bra strap length isn't common where I am, but when I do see someone with very long hair, it's rarely in good condition.

Sarahmoon
May 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry, but... no :oops: I kind of like having something special.

x0h_bother
May 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Here, BSL is considered long, and APL is the norm. Shorter than APL is also not really common among the younger people. I would say 90% of the middle aged mom's I've seen around here have the "mom" haircut. My friend's mom had TBL hair and she stuck out like a (beautiful) thumb.
My friend age 24 cut her hair neck length...and her boyfriend's hair is the same color and length! And the last time she came over she said she missed having her hair long like mine. Okay..then why the chop? It's not like "everyone" around here's doing it..*shrug*

Angeletti
May 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm glad it's not common around my area because I love being an individual, can't stand blending in with everyone else

LoveMyMutt
May 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I don't see a lot longer than BSL. I do know a couple of people with waist/hip or longer, but it's not common.

It doesn't bother me. I want waist length hair and I like to be different. I've never been much concerned with fitting in.

spidermom
May 30th, 2010, 05:43 PM
It's not uncommon in my area, particularly in woman near my age, sometimes men, and children. I don't see many teens with it.

Speckla
May 30th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I do wish it were more common for people to have my type of hair because it'd be easier to find a hairdresser that knew how to cut long, curly hair the right way.

humble_knight
May 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Fairies and Trolls - nice! I guess I am currently one of those bald-headed trolls, then :p

In my part of England long hair is quite common even amongst men. If anything, I wish that long hair was more common amongst men at my workplace. About 95% of my female colleagues have ear-length bobs, or just a bit below.

Yozhik
May 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't really pay attention before, but ever since joining LHC I've noticed that long hair is fairly common here (I'm in the DC area). Maybe not long by LHC standards, but I see tons of women on the Metro with BSL to waist length hair.

I live in the DC metro area, too! And, as seen by my frequent postings on the longhair sitings thread, I see a lot of long-haired women (by typical standards) :) I was kind of surprised when I realized how many there are, because I moved from a college town in eastern VA, and before that from rural VA, both which had very few people with hair longer than APL.

EdG
May 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Where I live (South Bay Area), long hair is rare on women and unheard of on men. :(
Ed

Olde Soul
May 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I kind of like that long hair isn't terribly common where I live, as it makes me feel sorta special for having long hair, but at the same time it's neat to see other people's long hair.

Rowanne
May 31st, 2010, 02:19 AM
I kind of like that long hair isn't terribly common where I live, as it makes me feel sorta special for having long hair, but at the same time it's neat to see other people's long hair.

Same here. A part of me would really like to live in a place where everyone had gorgeous long hair but another part of me enjoys having hair that defies trends and looks a bit different.

What I do wish is to have more shops around here that sell hair safe accessories. Wooden hair sticks are difficult to find, not to mention forks. So far I've noticed that you won't find them in a store that doesn't sell incense as well. Unfortunately my theory doesn't go the other way around: just because I can buy incense somewhere doesn't mean they'll sell me hair sticks too. :)

I visited London just a couple of months ago and saw a beautiful hair fork carved out of white bone. I really regret for not buying it; it wasn't expensive or anything but at the time I didn't know what to do with it. :brickwall

Purdy Bear
May 31st, 2010, 06:07 AM
Rowane, if you know the shop name (or just the road it was in), they may have an online store and an export service.

In SE London, we seem to have a lot of youngsters with waist length hair, but we dont see much beyond that.

A lot of the elders have short hair, or wear their hair up in French twists etc.

I saw one lady a few years back who was over 6 ft tall with knee length thick black hair, I was groooooooooooooooling to say the least.

Henrietta
May 31st, 2010, 06:45 AM
I remember that when I was going to my previous school, everyday morning a lady with knee lenght braid walked before me on a sidewalk. I saw her few days ago in downtown. She cut her hair to... TBL or so. And she was the only long haired person I saw there.

One of my friends has hip lenght hair, but hip isn't that long, compared to LHC members:)

And somehow I would like to have a friend with long hair, because I'd have someone to share my obsession:D But I have got you here, people:D So in the other hand I want to have unique, long hair. It wouldn't be that fun to have long hair if everyone around me has it too.

EbonyCurls
May 31st, 2010, 06:55 AM
No, I like being unique. I do wish more people listened to my kind of music in my area though :(

chopandchange
May 31st, 2010, 07:03 AM
I kind of like being unique, too, but it would be nice to have some long-haired friends so we could play with each other's hair and have "hair parties!"

Henrietta
May 31st, 2010, 07:10 AM
I kind of like being unique, too, but it would be nice to have some long-haired friends so we could play with each other's hair and have "hair parties!"

Exactly! I miss hair parties!

EbonyCurls, what kind of music do you listen to?

Ravenwaves 88
May 31st, 2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with having a few long haired friends in the area. That would be nice. Hair parties sound like so much fun! Not to mention being able to talk about hair care without being looked at like you are crazy. :)

jane53
May 31st, 2010, 09:11 AM
I agree with having a few long haired friends in the area. That would be nice. Hair parties sound like so much fun! Not to mention being able to talk about hair care without being looked at like you are crazy. :)

I would love hair parties! People could help each other with updos and other hairstyles that some can do and others have trouble with. People could compare and swap hairtoys and products. Sigh. :)

Amara
May 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
I definitely like how *uncommon* it is, I like standing out more because of it. But I kind of get the best of both worlds. I'm very involved in the bellydance community here and that group has lots of long, pretty hair, so I get to enjoy it being common in part of my life, too.

BattahZ
May 31st, 2010, 09:31 AM
I live in the DC metro area, too! And, as seen by my frequent postings on the longhair sitings thread, I see a lot of long-haired women (by typical standards) :) I was kind of surprised when I realized how many there are, because I moved from a college town in eastern VA, and before that from rural VA, both which had very few people with hair longer than APL.

Well hey, neighbor! :) Yeah I'm not sure why it is that there's so much long hair around here. Maybe it has something to do with the international vibe in the city, and thus different perceptions of what's beautiful on a woman, including lots of thick, long hair?

Whatever the reason, I enjoy seeing so much long hair because it gives me constant inspiration not to cut mine!

XcaliburGirl
May 31st, 2010, 09:36 AM
I usually see BSL at least once a day and Waist length about once a week on my commute. Hip and longer is not common, though.

When my hair was longer I didn't pay attention to how popular or unpopular it is, but it is nice to be a little different.

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Well it is nice to have the longest hair in your family currently, and nice to have some of the longer hair among girls in your school, but it would be nice to see long hairs. My brother used to have long hair, and it allows me to see it as normal when you remember your brother with knee length hair, and your dad with shoulder length hair(actually, I don't remember that too much. But he did when I was very little! xD), and your aunts with longer hair as well. I'd probably worry that my hair wasn't able to grow long if it weren't for occasionally seeing friends and family with long hair though.

RavennaNight
May 31st, 2010, 01:48 PM
It's pretty common here, in NYC 5 Boroughs to find longer hair. I don't feel my hair is superlong, or out of place at any point. Diversity rocks here.

Capybara
May 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'd say that long hair is pretty common where I live. I've seen many women and men with waist to tailbone length hair - there is pretty much every length from bald to super long, actually. The average length would be around APL - BSL, I'd guess, but longer is not uncommon.

And to answer the original question - yes and no. If more people wanted long hair and maintained it, yes! It would be awesome. But my secretly vain side likes to stand out a little.. So yes and no :D

ETA: Sort of like what Battahz said, I think the prevalence of long hair in my area has to do with multicultural diversity.

ravenreed
May 31st, 2010, 06:06 PM
I am not the person in my circle of acquaintances with the longest hair, however, mine is long enough to still stand out. There are quite a few long hairs around my area on men and women. I like being a bit different, but to be honest, if everyone grew their hair out long, I don't know that I would change anything. I might be more likely to go a more outrageous color or something.

TinyTim
May 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I am visiting my cousins in Argentina and there are lots of guys with long hair here, At home there was only two others at my school. I think its cool to see others with it cuz i dont like the attention to much, i just like my hair long.

stuntpeople
May 31st, 2010, 11:30 PM
The black community in Berkeley/Oakland is pretty relax regarding guys' hair, moreso than any other community I know of. I don't even get second looks around here.

Gypsy
June 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
I live next to a Reservation and luckily the members hold on to their heritage and mostly wear their hair long- even the guys and when it's worn loose and we can see the length, it's brilliant and glorious!
There is also a large hispanic community here and the women are blessed with beautiful long hair and a lot of times will also wear it loose.
So, long hair is not uncommon here, but seeing it all flowing and loose is a little more uncommon than not.

jera
June 1st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Fairies and Trolls - nice! I guess I am currently one of those bald-headed trolls, then :p

In my part of England long hair is quite common even amongst men. If anything, I wish that long hair was more common amongst men at my workplace. About 95% of my female colleagues have ear-length bobs, or just a bit below.

Apologies. That was inconsiderate and insensitive of me. Are you here because you're growing out from a buzz? Fingers crossed. :pray:

humble_knight
June 1st, 2010, 04:08 AM
@Jera: Ah, no need to apologise. I liked your comment ;) and I actually joke with friends that now I look like a more chocolate-y version of Shrek :lol:

Yes, indeed I will grow my hair and this time without any trims for 2yrs. I don't know why I bothered trimming my hair x4 between 2008-2010 - I really didn't need it.

Tressie
June 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Yes, I guess I do, because it would be nice to talk to someone who knows what a ficcare is! (o:

getoffmyskittle
June 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
No. I like being special. :silly:

Juneii
June 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
I like being special too and having people go :O your hair is so long. It's kinda like having a nice sports car, people usually get it to turn heads, but no head is going to turn if everyone has a nice car.

Although I have managed to inspire my roommate and a guy friend of mine to grow their hair as long as mine (although I plan to go much longer >:] )

cardamom
June 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Just remembered my friend's prayer-"God, make me slim.If you can't, make my friends fat!":D

voluspa
June 1st, 2010, 11:50 PM
No, I don't care how others wear their hair. Short hair is fine too, and easy to keep healthy.

Nymphie
June 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
I think I wished I would see more often, is hair that's taken proper care of. Not once in probably several years, I've seen hair longer than BSL that isn't destroyed by heat, chemicals and whatnot. I always look at long hair, but become so dissapointed when I look closer and it isn't healthy.

So, maybe not longer, but healthier would be amazing to see!

BritishBraider
June 3rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
I quite like being different in having long hair, also why I dye it orange, I like to stand out :)

HintOfMint
June 3rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think I wished I would see more often, is hair that's taken proper care of. Not once in probably several years, I've seen hair longer than BSL that isn't destroyed by heat, chemicals and whatnot. I always look at long hair, but become so dissapointed when I look closer and it isn't healthy.

So, maybe not longer, but healthier would be amazing to see!

I second this. Most of the waist length and longer hair I see is damaged and dry looking. I do love seeing a beautiful head of hair at any length though.

On the other hand, once my hair hits hip, I'll be pretty pleased to have something a little more rare. Although most people assume that, because I'm Indian, I grew my hair long for cultural reasons, and so it's expected. For the record, it's not. My mom has had super short hair since she was 18, and I grew up with mostly short hair.

ibleedlipstick
June 3rd, 2010, 10:30 PM
It isn't that I wish there were more long haired people in my area, I just wish the long hair people were more diverse. In my area, it is 10-12 year old kids or if there is longer hair on someone older, it is instantly attributed to religious reasons or "being hippie-ish or organic." I am not religious, nor would I consider myself a part of the hippie culture in my area.

I realize that it is human nature to want things in neat boxes, but I think it is mind boggling to some of the people in my area that I am a long haired* vegetarian who is not remotely religious and less than concerned about how natural her foods are.

*I am not currently a long hair, but I have been in the past, and I am heading back to it.

Rowanne
June 4th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Rowane, if you know the shop name (or just the road it was in), they may have an online store and an export service.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try! Luckily I found a nice wooden hair fork just a couple of days ago. It's not as beautiful as the white bone fork I didn't buy but at least I'll be able to forgive myself... :D

freckles
June 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I really like having long-hair sightings so I wouldn't mind more long hair to gawp at :) but it doesn't really affect me other than that, so, I don't mind how many people keep their hair long. People should wear their hair however they like. :)

Rowanne
November 23rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Same here. A part of me would really like to live in a place where everyone had gorgeous long hair but another part of me enjoys having hair that defies trends and looks a bit different.

What I do wish is to have more shops around here that sell hair safe accessories. Wooden hair sticks are difficult to find, not to mention forks.

My ambivalence on this subject is gone. I wish that everyone here had long hair if it would mean that hair sticks and forks weren't so scarce. I've been browsing web shops for the last few days but it isn't the same thing - I like to be able to hold the object in my hand before I make the decision to buy it.

I googled the Finnish equivalent to "hair fork" some time ago, Google offered me bike parts.

Vermelha
November 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I wish people would stop acting so surprised to see someone with long hair in this area. It's not that it's a bad thing, just people gawk over girls with super long hair and practically worship them. If everyone had long hair, things I think would be better and people would stop using hair length as a measure of one's beauty, over other things like character, personality, actual inner beauty, you know?

DARKMARTIAN
November 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
It matters not to me either way.
I will however say that what I DO wish were more common...in ALL areas.....is the ability to have one's hair the way they want it... without ridicule.

So there.....:)

Avvoltoio
November 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
i like to stand out with my hair :), i like to get compliments for it

but i would wish long hair to be more common at girls

enfys
November 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'd like long hair to be mor common if it meant a bigger market for long hair friendly accessories, but I don't let it bother me how long other people's hair is around me.

I don't care terribly if I'm a common sight or not.

MinderMutsig
November 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
OMG!!! I live in Central Florida is well!!!...HEY NEIGHBOR!!:D....but yeah i see a lot of ppl with BSL hair and longer...plus i have lots of latina friends and they have really long hair.

But in the Black community...its VERY unsual to have Waist Length hair...and they always assume you're mixed with something just bc you do. But no...i'm Black and i treat my hair like a pet or a plant and thats how it grows:)...i wish long hair was more common in the Black community though...so we can get past the myths and the dumb stereotypes:mad: I would love to see long African curly hair irl once. I don't think I have ever seen a black woman with curly hair who kept her hair long. I bet it's an awesome sight!

Honestly, before LHC I didn't think it was possible to let hair like that grow long because I never ever see it irl. The black girls I know that have long hair either have some sort of extension thing going on or they don't have curly hair. (I don't think relaxing is all that common over here but I might be wrong)

There is probably a lot I don't understand about haircare for hair that is that curly but I do think it's a shame. I've seen some LHC pictures of black curly longhairs and it looks amazing! It's almost mythical. I keep staring at those pics wondering how long someones hair must be when it's stretched to be waist length when curly! I also get the impression that when you finally do get to that length and past the awkward stages (which probably takes forever) that it's easier to take care of?

/end gushing over long black hair :o

OT: Around here I do see a lot of long hair, especially on campus. Anything from super-short pixie to tailbone is pretty common. Maybe that has something to do with the area I'm in though? The north of the Netherlands tends to be less trendy do maybe girls aren't that inclined to cut their hair into some stylish cut? :o

I don't see a lot of longhairs over 30 though so I thought I'd be a trendsetter and grow my hair that long after 30.;)

Charlotte:)
November 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Noooooooooo! I like being unique!

luxepiggy
November 23rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Nope! I like being special, and I love that everyone thinks my hair takes FOREVER to wash/dry/style, because I'm really slow at getting ready. Little do they know, my hair takes 2 minutes and I've spent 2 hours trying on different outfits and shoes! Ha! Sneaky piggy! (^(oo)^)v

starlights
November 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I think where i live its a 50/50 mix of people and hair's from different cultures so i see the 50/50 hair split. Some cultures value long hair whilst some cultures prefer the short cut. Things are slowly changing though but i can see it reflected back in the area i live.

Half the people i see have short hair and half have long hair, when i mean long (its past classic length) ! Im always staring at hair that long, (and i always get caught staring) im such a DUH! lol

My best friend also has very long hair where i live, and im always staring at it!!! she's used to it, ive been admiring her hair since i was 6.

I keep teasing her jokingly "one day my hair be longer than yours, na na. " lol
and she always replies "that day will make me proud because I would look at your hair being longer than mine and know i was part of it. "

(its true, she is a walking talking LHC -she's not a member yet though ) lol

Vermelha
November 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I also get the impression that when you finally do get to that length and past the awkward stages (which probably takes forever) that it's easier to take care of?

/end gushing over long black hair :o.

Meh, depends. For me, it's not easier to take care of. It grows at the same average rate (1/2") but it's almost like every stage is an awkward stage.

It's also awkward because I have the longest hair in my family, and none of them actually understand what I have to go through to keep it this way. They keep asking me to dye it or go to a salon or something. I keep telling them that my hair isn't a "plaything", but I know they get excited only because it's not so common in the family.

Then they start going back through genetics and pointing out how little black heritage I have...that just makes me want to shave it off and say, "Here, now we're all about the same! It's just some hair so hush!"

looniac
November 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Very long hair in Boston is unusual. When I do see waist+ length hair, it usually is an anomaly. Unfortunately, the last person I saw with it (it was around classic) the hair was very damaged and unhealthy and therefore didn't look good at all, which was sad. I sent her a telepathic hair hug.