PDA

View Full Version : When to do a deep treatment?

nellreno
May 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM
There's been a couple times when I do something that dries out my hair, like if I dye it or want to do my hair for a special occasion. So I feel like doing a deep treatment to make up for it.

My question is, do you feel it's more beneficial to do a deep treatment before your hair gets dried out, or after? Or is there no difference between the two?

Barniie
May 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I feel after is nicer - you get the feeling of 'I repaired the damage' rather than 'I prevented the damage'. It is probably better to do it before, but I personally prefer after :)

clichepithet
May 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Both! :D I would think a DT before would be preventative, as after would be restorative.

With a combination of the two, you can drive your loved ones insane, poking them with your braid and going, "Oooh, sooofffft..." Or maybe that's just me.

nellreno
May 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
With a combination of the two, you can drive your loved ones insane, poking them with your braid and going, "Oooh, sooofffft..." Or maybe that's just me.

haha I already do that! :cheese:

I feel after is nicer - you get the feeling of 'I repaired the damage' rather than 'I prevented the damage'. It is probably better to do it before, but I personally prefer after

Yeah, I always end up doing it afterwards because of the feeling of repairing damage. But the idea of being able to prevent damage (or at least it drying out) is interesting.

jasper
May 31st, 2010, 08:05 AM
It would have to be after for me because my deep treatments takes a couple of days. The first part takes a couple of hours, but then I have fairly heavy oil on my hair that is going to be there until the next wash, so the styling option is a bun. It would seem like a waste to me to have to wash out the treatment right away for a special occasion style.

curlycrown
May 31st, 2010, 08:21 AM
For me my hair is prone to dryness so I would condition before and after. I would also follow up with weekly deep conditions to continue the moisturization. Thats just me. Your hair may not be able to handle all of the extra conditioning that i do.

Laylah
May 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM
I would do both before and after. Before, to prevent the styling from damaging my hair too much, and after, to repair what I can of the damage. Of course, it would be better to style in a hair friendly way!

FrannyG
May 31st, 2010, 09:02 AM
I like to do deep moisturizing treatments regularly, if I know I'll have some an extra hour or so to spend on it. I do it once every week to two weeks. Once in a blue moon, I'll do a protein treatment. I also like to do a deep oiling before a wash once in a while.

So I'd say both before and after. :)