PDA

View Full Version : Something is missing!

Aurielle
May 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
After quite a few dye jobs and a year or so of flat-ironing my hair, the ends of my hair were frazzled, splitting, and extremely dry. I'd been trying to get them somewhat manageable for a while, but it wasn't working. Also, I'd been very reluctant to trim the ends off because the longest parts were actually undamaged; the damage was mostly in the layers one to two inches above the ends. :mad:

Today I decided to cut off three inches of damage because every time I combed or brushed my hair, the damaged area would be so knotted up that more strands than usual would come out. I tried leaving the longest part, but it looked strange cutting only the layer above that. So my hair went from about three inches below waist lenth to waist length exactly.
I know that three inches is not that much and waist length exactly is still considered long to most people, but I feel like my hair is too short now and I feel like something is missing. :undecided

Has anyone else had this happen after they trimmed what should not be considered a lot? Did the "missing" feeling go away before the inches grew back?

I'd be upset now about this were it not for the fact that now my hair at the ends is not damaged as much as the old ends were. :D

Speckla
May 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, I can identify with that. I cut off 1" not too long ago and my hair felt sooooo much shorter. It's grown back plus some but it was still unnerving at the time. It felt too short until it all grew back but I just put my hair up and ignored it. It was worth the healthy, unbroken ends.

jane53
May 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Aurielle, that's why I'm resisting cutting my hair, even though, after having long hair for decades, I get curious about what short hair would be like.

But once, I got it cut to waist length and it was so much harder to put up.

It's to hip length now and I'm going to resist shortening it till it gets to tailbone.

Having had very long hair for so long, I imagine it would be like cutting off a body part to cut it short....

But time heals all trims!

Capybara
May 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I got that when I trimmed from hip to waist a while back. I think the biggest thing was not feeling my hair on my elbows anymore :p It felt strange!

Emerson
May 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I only cut about an inch off in November and even then I was able to tell. It felt a lot better and looked so much healthier though ;)

Aurielle
May 29th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, I can identify with that. I cut off 1" not too long ago and my hair felt sooooo much shorter. It's grown back plus some but it was still unnerving at the time. It felt too short until it all grew back but I just put my hair up and ignored it. It was worth the healthy, unbroken ends.

I think that's what the case is with me, too. I might not like the short feeling now, but it's better than losing more entire strands because of the broken ends. I think if I look at my hair without thinking about the lost length, it looks better and a lot healthier now. I'll try ignoring the lost length for now and hope it grows back by fall!

Lielananna
May 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I always felt like my hair was so much shorter after a trim at a salon - where they usually took off a couple of inches instead of my requested half inch. No one else could tell that I was missing a couple of inches of hair, but I could always tell and it always bugged me for a little bit after each trim, but I did eventually get used to the new length.

SpeakingEZ
May 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM
This is exactly why I'm refusing to cut off all my damage at once. I have another 3" to go at least, and I'd like to cut it as it grows so it's never shorter than the length I started. . . .

Aurielle
May 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
This is exactly why I'm refusing to cut off all my damage at once. I have another 3" to go at least, and I'd like to cut it as it grows so it's never shorter than the length I started. . . .

I think that is a good idea. Even with cutting three inches off, I still have more length that is partially damaged from heat and coloring. I only cut off the part that was the worst. I think that I'll try maintaining my hair length at the length it was before I cut it as soon as it grows back. By my estimate, I'll be rid of the dye entirely in two or so years! (I hope.)

jane53
May 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I always felt like my hair was so much shorter after a trim at a salon - where they usually took off a couple of inches instead of my requested half inch. No one else could tell that I was missing a couple of inches of hair, but I could always tell and it always bugged me for a little bit after each trim, but I did eventually get used to the new length.

Lielananna, I found a hairdresser with very long hair, and if I say 1/2 inch, that's all she does.

Before, after a few bad experiences, I would pleasantly tell the hairdresser that if I saw more than my requested trim amount on the floor, I'd pro-rate their fee accordingly.

Lielananna
May 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Lielananna, I found a hairdresser with very long hair, and if I say 1/2 inch, that's all she does.

Before, after a few bad experiences, I would pleasantly tell the hairdresser that if I saw more than my requested trim amount on the floor, I'd pro-rate their fee accordingly.

I was never brave enough to say anything to the hairdresser when I was still going to salons, but I've since found a lovely guy to cut my hair, he specializes in long hair and understands what a small trim is and does it :).