PDA

View Full Version : will "clarifying conditioner" cleanse the hair of build up and cones such as shampoo?

rosieex3
May 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
hey everyone! i've decided to go "no poo," and i would really love to stick with it..for, forever? :D i don't use cones, so i wont really have to clarify much. i recently had to use a clarifying shampoo, because after a "conditioning treatment" that my friend applied on me in cosmetology school, i was left with a gunky matted mess on my head. after any kind of shampoo, my hair is incredibly dry. which is bad because i have a dry scalp and dry hair already. so i'd rather not clarify, but i know once in awhile i will have to with the sprays and whatnot traveling through the air near me in cosmo class.

long story short, will something such as "suave clarifying conditioner" remove build up and cones if any happen to get applied to my hair? i'd probably use it once a month. thank you!

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I don't believe so, but you can use any shampoo with SLS. If you're not using the products that often, diluting a little bit of SLS shampoo might be enough.

Linnykinz
May 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Clarifying conditioner?? I think ( I may be wrong) that the SLS is the main part of clarifying, and I've never seen a condish with that. It defeats the purpose..

BUT I am in the same spot as you, I rarely wash but when I do it is CO. I made my own clarifying condish by taking my favorite condish (Naturelle HEMP, and tresemme sometimes but you can use any, just try not to use something too cheap for this) and mixing a good amount with some vodka, about 2/3 condish and 1/3 vodka. You may want to dilute it to 3/4 condish and 1/4 vodka, if you wash your hair often. Be sure to use regular conditioner after this!

This has worked wonders for me, because as I said I rarely wash (maybe once a week, usually WO sometimes CO) but when I use this my hair feels great. And the nasty gunk is gone. And no, my hair doesn't smell like alcohol. ;)

FrannyG
May 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM
No, clarifying conditioner does not remove either buildup or cones. It's made to be used as a lightweight conditioner that leaves no buildup as a companion to clarifying shampoo.

I suggest that when you feel it's time to clarify your hair, plan ahead so that you can give yourself some extra time. Your hair won't dry out from using a clarifying shampoo if you dilute it with water, and then apply a deep moisture treatment, such as an SMT for a half an hour to an hour, or as long as you can manage, after clarifying.

If you're not using cones, the your need to clarify will not be often, so it should be too hard to make a plan for a deep beauty treatment for your hair when the time comes.