PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep from cutting?

Fairlight63
May 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I am trying to grow out my bangs or fringe but am having trouble not grabing the sissors & cutting them short again.

My problem is I wear a lot of updo's & I look at myself in the mirror & think "UCK" and that I would look better in bangs but I HATE the way that bangs feel on my face, they tickle my face & drive me crazy.

So I was wondering those of you that have successfully grew out your bangs how did you keep from grabbing the sissors in a weak moment & cutting them again?

Carolyn
May 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've grown out bangs at least 3 times. By bangs I mean real bangs, not wispy face framing layers. I did re-cut mine a few when I was attempting to grow out. I was always sorry I did it. I used a lot of bobby pins, small claw clips, and headbands. You just have to tell yourself no and mean it.

x0h_bother
May 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
You can do a little pouf and keep them back, or I also flat ironed them sideways until they did what I wanted or I could tuck them. Good luck!

jeanniet
May 29th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I always think that I'd like to have bangs, and I have to keep reminding myself that I absolutely hate having anything hanging over my eyes, so I shouldn't be foolish enough to cut them. Last time I did have them, growing them out was just awful, especially that period between eyes and nose where they were long enough to be annoying but too short to clip back very well.

I think you just have to remind yourself how much you hate the bangs, and if you cut them you'll just have to keep going through the growing out phase that much longer. If you can be patient, they'll at least be long enough to clip back in a few months and they won't bother you as much.

LaFlor
May 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with clipping them back with pins, clips, barrets, etc. I'm growing out my bangs for the third time in the past 3 years. Currentling rocking the headband to hide them.

LaFlor
May 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I forgot to mention that when I feel the urge to cut I always turn on the tv or pick up a magazine... or come on lhc... and admire all the bangless hair I see and remind myself that THAT is the look I want.

DARKMARTIAN
May 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
hmmmm....tis been so long since ive had bangs I honestly dont remember. But I imagine that for awhile I just combed them back. And then finally a midline part began to occur. Thats when I got excited. I could tell that some length was happening.

As a guy who didnt style his hair really....I did go through a phase where I looked rather scruffy as a result. But then again...many people would say I still do.....:D

FrannyG
May 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I have bangs now, because I really like them. However, I successfully grew out my bangs when I first joined LHC. The first few weeks were frustrating, and I used clips and twists to keep the growing bangs out of my way.

Eventually, before they were long enough to actually put them in the updo, I incorporated them by French or Dutch braiding the top of my hair before putting it into the updo. That worked really well and was what kept me from cutting.

Before I knew it, my bangs were grown out long enough to be part of any updo or braid that I made.

Just keep a mental picture in your mind of what you want your hairline to look like in the future. In the meantime, use headbands, clips or pretty barrettes and try poufing the bangs, twisting them to the side or to the back or any other interesting idea you might have. They'll grow before you know it.

LaurelSpring
May 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I cant tell you how many times I have done this. I dont want bangs and then when they grow out I think I look so much older and my forehead looks so bare without bangs. I look at pictures of myself and think how much better I look with bangs. Then I break down and go cut them and I absolutely hate it. I think I look like a little girl. So then I start growing them out again...over and over.

I think for the time being I have come to a happy medium. I have some fringe but not little girl bangs. This is working for me and because I am happy with it I dont have the urge to cut....right now anyway. Someone posted a youtube on cutting your own bangs and I was close to grabbing the scissors then.

I guess I dont have any good advice here except that after you do it a few times and realize how its going to look eventually you stop because you know you are going to regret it and then be miserable while it grows again.

sibiryachka
May 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I look at a picture of myself with them, and am reminded of just how bad they looked and what lot of hassle they were. Works every time.

Squeak toy
May 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I look much better with bangs and I get to a point every week it seems where they just feel weird and in my eyes and tickling me like you said. For this reason I carry scissors with me and cut them myself rather than wait to go to a shop. I suggest this as you seem to like how you look with the bangs.

jane53
May 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I cut bangs when I was in my 30s or 40s so that I could keep my long hair but not look so severe when I wore it back or up. (Serene and classic can morph to severe as you approach and embrace middle age!) I'm pretty sure I'll keep my bangs, but I probably wear them too short to avoid the hair-in-the-eyes syndrome. Think of the length of bangs on the Goth character, Abby, on NCIS. That's what I have--with the rest of my hair hip length.

jane53
May 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I look much better with bangs and I get to a point every week it seems where they just feel weird and in my eyes and tickling me like you said. For this reason I carry scissors with me and cut them myself rather than wait to go to a shop. I suggest this as you seem to like how you look with the bangs.

I carry scissors too!

And my bangs style and hang well at a short length. They just look sloppy at longer lengths, though I love the way long bangs look on other people.

DARKMARTIAN
May 29th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I cut bangs when I was in my 30s or 40s so that I could keep my long hair but not look so severe when I wore it back or up. (Serene and classic can morph to severe as you approach and embrace middle age!) I'm pretty sure I'll keep my bangs, but I probably wear them too short to avoid the hair-in-the-eyes syndrome. Think of the length of bangs on the Goth character, Abby, on NCIS. That's what I have--with the rest of my hair hip length.

I love that style of bangs......:D

jane53
May 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm glad someone does! It seems everyone is all about looonnnngggg bangs now.

May
May 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I remind myself how much I detest bangs on myself and how so don't work with my with my 3a hair! I cut myself bangs 4 years ago and I will NEVER ever do that to myself again!!! Sometimes it take a while to learn your lesson lol