PDA

View Full Version : Question for all former pixies

yvsa
May 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hi, I'm new on the boards and I have question for people who grew out from a pixie. Did you let your hair grow in a mullet and than put it up and grew further or did you cut it in a bob and grew from there. I'm still a pixie now and am trying to decide what's best. I think it also depands on your hairtype? Mine is a little bit wavy and doesn't look to good in a bob I think. What did you decide when you grew out?

CrisDee
May 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
You need to go on over to this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) thread. Many of us have been rockin the mullet during the grow-out process. It all depends on your hair type and your tolerance level - good luck! :)

Nae
May 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I went the mullet route, I have curly-ish hair so it was really wavy and pretty crazy. I slowly trimmed it here and there when I couldn't stand it to even it out. I took about 8 months I would guess from the time I started growing it out till it was evened enough to look more like long layers than a mullet. I have been non-stop growing since but I think I will get another trim this winter to try and get a little closer to all one length. I may maintain at APL for a while once I get there just to get out the layers, which I don't like that much as it makes my braids wonky.

I hope that helps and the link to the above thread should help you bunches!

kitmarlow
May 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm a wavy head and did most of my growing before I found LHC, so once it covered my ears I bobbed it super short and heat styled nearly every day until it could be ponytailed. when it could be ponytailed (or double braided) I got lazy for a good four months and loved life without heat. I've been fairly heat-free since then, but those months I heat styled set me back some healthy growth I could have now. it's taken me one year to get five or six inches of growth and if I could do it again, I'd totally take a mullet..

Naters
May 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I definetely think it all depends on the hair texture you have. I have curly so when i was in that super awkward stage i just left it the way it was, the curls somewhat hid the mullet a bit which was nice. I think though if you have straight hair the mullet will be a bit more obvious. In all though i was patient and dealt with the stages as they came. Goodluck to you! You'll be over the awkward stages of pixie growth in no time, just try and forget about your hair, it helpss trust me!!

Bethie
May 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I went the bob route. Mainly because I couldn't stand the thought of a mullet. It works for some people, but most assuredly not me.

I waited until I had hair that covered my ears and had it cut into a cheek length bob, however it is still very layered, but at least it all sorta started the same length.

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I used a headband, then bobed it, then ponytailed it.

2peasinapod
May 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I've never been a fan of super short bobs (on myself), and I wanted length as quickly as possible, so I only trimmed once during the mullet stage. My hair is wavy, so it blended pretty well.

missjessiecakes
May 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I bobbed it. I cant stand the mullet of doom!

pennyroyal
May 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I am rockin my mullet right now. :DI don't wanna cut for nothin so a mullet it is.

missfortune9335
May 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I just kept trimming the mullet part off untill I could cut it into a bob and grow from there, I knew I wanted a fairly even hemline when my hair *did* finally get longer so there was no point to keeping the back so long. (for me)

good luck!

Maplecat
May 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm trimming up my back and hoping for a bob. This is the third time I've grown out a pixie and I always forget exactly how much I hate the growing out phase.

viking_quest
May 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I had both. The mullet lasted for a while until the bottommost layers were to my shoulders while the shortest ones were to my ears. I bobbed it then. I also have fairly straight hair and the mullet looked pretty good but the bob did not.

Masara
May 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I hadn't got out of the regular cuts mentality at that stage, so my hair was gradually trimmed into a very short bob at about earlobe level. It did go a bit "mullety" when I stopped getting such regular cuts, but the difference between front and back was never very extreme

Delila
May 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I used my growing out phase to train myself how to extend the time between trims, but definitely did it all with a stylist's help. She kept my hair looking reasonably well groomed through all the awkward phases.

(Well, growing out the bangs was the worst, but that got easier once they were long enough to pull back off my face.)

I didn't stop going to a stylist altogether until I was at about BSL and felt comfortable trimming things myself.

FrannyG
May 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I went the layered bob route. I didn't wait for all of the shortest layers to catch up, but I did have it bobbed at the earliest time possible.

It was very easy to grow out after that.

trillcat
May 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I rocked the mullet of doom until my hair got to be about APL, then I chopped it up to just below collar. (I never want to go through the hair falling into my collar deal ever ever again!) It wasn't a bob at that point, not a mullet anymore, or a shag. it was just odd hair. :D More or less in the same style I have now, just much shorter, it was not bad growing it out from that point, the big chop took off most of the layers.
You know, I kind of miss that growing out goofyness!

Oskimosa
May 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hmmm... I don't guess the hair on the top of my head was terribly short, because it looked really good growing out, to me. I didn't feel like I had a mullet; more like a -shag. The "Rachel." My hair really likes being shoulder-apl and layered. So, no, I really didn't do much to it as it grew out.

Wind Dragon
May 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hmmm... I don't guess the hair on the top of my head was terribly short, because it looked really good growing out, to me. I didn't feel like I had a mullet; more like a -shag. The "Rachel." My hair really likes being shoulder-apl and layered. So, no, I really didn't do much to it as it grew out.

This was my experience, exactly, only the hair on top of my head was really short, heavily-layered, almost a boy-cut. I guess it depends on how it was cut. :shrug:

Lélie
May 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'd say it depends if you like wearing your hair UP or DOWN

Definitely, i've choosen (and i'll chose again if i have to !) the MULLET !!
Because you can do a ponytail earlier, and it was a big issue for me (don't like my hair hanging in my face and neck).
Some people find this awful and weird, but with some hairpins, scarfes, headbands, and others accessories, you can hide it easily and make your hair looks really nice.
And the best thing is that you feel that your hair is already long, even if your top layers are not that long :)

But it depends on you,
= if your like your hair up and if you are impatient : the mullet is for sure the better way ...
= if you like you hair down, go for the bob, coz the mullet down is not really flattering ! :D

beachlover
May 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I had gotten my hair to a point where it was at an ear length bob and short through the nape but it looked awful on me since I have natural curl/waves. Before finding this site I went in and had everything layered which is helping me in growing it out but I still have a long way to go. I never thought I would say this but I'm looking forward to the mullet so I can at least put it up and do different things with it. It will be so much easier for me to be able to do some different styles and be able to wear it up or in a small ponytail or even just with some wave. Once it gets long enough I'll trim the mullet and keep a few layers since my hair lays better with layers but for now that's my plan. Like everyone else has said, I guess it basically depends on your hair type and face shape. Happy growing everyone!!!

jaine
May 30th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I started with a longish pixie about eyebrow length in the front and 1/2" in the back. I don't plan to trim the back at all between pixie and APL. I want a U- or V-shaped hemline when it's longer, so there's no point in cutting the back now only to cut the sides and front later into a U or V. I might as well just keep the U-shape that I already have.

Actually, I ended up trimming the front because the front grew too fast in comparison to the back. (But that's just my hair; the front of my hair seems to grow at a faster rate.)

Night_Kitten
May 31st, 2010, 06:39 AM
When I grew out a pixie I cut it into a short bob, and kept cutting the layers till it was all one length (around chin or so), but my hair is stick staight and slippery (hard to do updoes at shorter than sholders)...
I say don't cut right now, try growing for a while, and see how it looks, and if you really don't like it you can always even up some of the layers as it grows

Oskimosa
June 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
This was my experience, exactly, only the hair on top of my head was really short, heavily-layered, almost a boy-cut. I guess it depends on how it was cut. :shrug:

Very much so. When cut well, the hair is layered so that it forces the hair on the top either to flip out or curl under. I had it flipping out when it dried naturally, so I always looked funky and "put together," even if I had to touch up a section or two with an iron.

hydrangea
June 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
I kept doing micro trims straight across until it basically looked really layered (top pieces were just a couple inches from bottom pieces). Sometimes I would wear it down or put the top half up in a ponytail. Whatever option you choose it will be a bit awkward.

TinyTim
June 1st, 2010, 04:07 PM
I just let it all grow but i am a boy and also wanted a ponytail so i tied it even when not all made it in

TawnyRoots
June 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
I grew out the mullet until I could cut to a longish bob (chin). The mullet stage was suprisingly short (HONESTLY!) and not many people noticed as I used pins to push my hair up so that it looked like a pixie.

Pumpkin
June 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
I decided just to let mine grow. I wore headbands alot! Just so my hair would not look like a mullet. I got through the growing mullet phase just fine. :)

spidermom
June 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Neither! I saw my stylist every 6-8 weeks and went from pixie to short layers to longer layers to no layers.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SHORT.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/LONGERSTILL.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/lhc607-1.jpg

PrincessTieflin
June 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
i kept trimming my neckline till the sides caught up.. Could not stand the thought of a mullet. Took that much longer about 8 months to grow to a bob... But it was what worked for me.