PDA

View Full Version : Visual guide for hairlength?

Siowiel
May 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Does something like that exist, for example as a drawing or as a gallery with photografies?

It did take me some time to discover that the lenght I thoguht to be waist is actually nearly tailbone... and now I am at waist and do not know how hip lenght looks!

Isilya
May 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Haha, found it: http://www.ida.net/users/northstr/hairlength.html

birdiefu
May 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM
That's a good visual reference (for the pictures I can see, some aren't loading), except I would say the waist example is well below waist and more in hip territory. Looks like her natural waist is a little above her elbows, and hip would be at the bottom of that band at the top of her jeans (you know, that section the tag on the left is sitting on). And to continue on with an example from that same picture, tailbone would be around the top of her back pockets.

rhosyn_du
May 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
The description of thigh length as the widest part of the thigh strikes me as odd. My thighs are widest at the top, so that would make thigh length on me right about the same length as classic.

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 04:21 AM
The description of thigh length as the widest part of the thigh strikes me as odd. My thighs are widest at the top, so that would make thigh length on me right about the same length as classic.

I was thinking this, too, and assumed that I'm just strangely built.

FlowerHair
May 11th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Here's a diagram:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/592/measurements9gnis8sn6.jpg

TammySue
May 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
FlowerHair, that's a great diagram. Thanks for posting it! :)

rhubarbarin
May 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by rhosyn_du

I was thinking this, too, and assumed that I'm just strangely built.

I think everyone's legs are widest right at the top, by at least a few inches.

I guess they are referring to the muscle in the back of the thigh that curves out in profile, making the leg look wider there..

swanns
May 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Why is classic called classic, by the way?

And thanks for the great diagram FlowerHair!

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM

It has to do with the golden ratio. On most bodies, the length of the hair in relation to the length of the body is equal to the golden ratio, which is approximately 1.618.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Hmmmm..... good question. I recall a reason being given when someone asked a long time ago but I don't remember.

Siowiel
May 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you very much, the pictures were very helpful.

I remember seeing a similar diagram way back on xxl-haar, is it the same? Ah, I miss that page...

getoffmyskittle
May 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
It has to do with the golden ratio. On most bodies, the length of the hair in relation to the length of the body is equal to the golden ratio, which is approximately 1.618.

Actually, my two golden ratio lengths are ~hiplength and ~fingertip length. :bigeyes: I don't think classic is a golden ratio length on very many people..? I know there was a big thread on the golden ratio a while back, though, and a lot of people were messing up because they were measuring LHC style, from the hairline back, rather than from the top of the head down.

florenonite
May 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Actually, my two golden ratio lengths are ~hiplength and ~fingertip length. :bigeyes: I don't think classic is a golden ratio length on very many people..? I know there was a big thread on the golden ratio a while back, though, and a lot of people were messing up because they were measuring LHC style, from the hairline back, rather than from the top of the head down.

Hmm, that makes sense. I think it was on that thread that I read that classic is called such due to the golden ratio, and that must have been what stuck with me.

Ms Monnie
May 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think classic might have been called that because it's the length a lot of women in classical paintings have?

FlowerHair
May 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much, the pictures were very helpful.

I remember seeing a similar diagram way back on xxl-haar, is it the same? Ah, I miss that page...

It's probably the same diagram, it's most likely been around the long hair boards a couple of times :D
I found it at LHCF, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere else before too...