PDA

View Full Version : For Those of Us with Thick Coarse Hair.....

HappyHair87
May 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Okay...so i finally...legally...made it to waist length...i am 27.5 inches and that makes me waist length and a half an inch!:D

So anyway....i know most of you all with really straight hair can do all these figure-8 and infinity buns fresh out the shower.....i have been trying for the longest time how to get that down....:mad:

I figure its bc my hair is too thick at the top and needs to grow some more so that i can do these buns...otherwise i have to blowdry and flat iron to get ALL my length just to do these kinds of styles:confused:

Roseate
May 28th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yep, that's the challenge of thick hair- the bigger around your hair is, the longer it has to be to go into one of those fancy twisted styles.

I was pretty disappointed when I figured that out, I love those styles, but I'll need a ton of length to do them. Those lucky "i" thickness people can do figure 8's right away, we have to wait! Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

HappyHair87
May 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, that's the challenge of thick hair- the bigger around your hair is, the longer it has to be to go into one of those fancy twisted styles.

I was pretty disappointed when I figured that out, I love those styles, but I'll need a ton of length to do them. Those lucky "i" thickness people can do figure 8's right away, we have to wait! Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Yeah!! Its so annoying!!:laugh:

Well at least i'm glad i can curl my hair in flexi rods...even when its dry and flat ironed....and it still curls up and stays until i wash it out!...or have the fron of my hair cornrowed and still have a TON of hair in the back to work with:p

The longest i'm growing my hair is Hip Length...although i have a friend on another board who DECLARES i grow to Classic Length:laugh:...she's so sweet tho....but anyway yeah...i wonder how long my hair has to be to do at least an infinity bun?

IndigoAsh
May 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I have issues because of my hair thickness. I can barely do the shell bun and my hair is hip length. I feel I need about another 6 inches for it to style correctly for a lot of these ideas.

restourceful
May 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
We all want what we don't have. What I wouldn't give for thick hair! *sigh*

Blueneko
May 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
So, I have been an LHCer for nearly 3 years and I just read this thread and realize that is why I can't do fancy buns! I thought I was a bun bonehead. :) I have not measured forever, but my best guess is I am around 27" and it's cinnabun or nothing for me.

But I think I might still be a bun bonehead.

halo_tightens
May 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I hear ya. I get so envious of others who can do awesome styles at my length that I won't be able to do for a long time!!

I wouldn't trade in my thick hair, though. It's harder to style, but it's fun when down! :)

HappyHair87
May 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
^^^You're not a bonehead blueneko!...i just figured this a few months ago...and i've been on the hair boards for over 2 years now!:laugh:

However...i CAN do the Lazy Wrap bun....but it has to be more up on my head otherwise it looks weird....bc as the hair towards my scalp dries...it expands....so i do this style better when my hair is completely straightened.

Roseate
May 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Oh, hey, have you seen this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37420)? Mwedzi did an awesome modified figure-8 on shorter hair, I haven't been able to do it but it might work better with your texture.

Juneii
May 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM
same here :( it took me FOREVER to just make a simple bun that wouldn't fall out after 5 minutes. I think I had to wait until I was about midback for my hair to stay :( I am so jealous of my friend who could make a bun with her just past shoulder length hair.

but jealous as I am, I do like my thick hair - if only I can do more hair styles!

UltraBella
May 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't trade my thick hair for all the bun making skills in the world !
There is only one bun I can do, and I don't even know what it is called, I "made it up" several years ago, but I am sure it already exists and has a name......
And hair sticks just don't seem to work on me, but that's the way it goes I guess......

MissManda
May 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I don't have coarse hair, but it's definitely thick. I can't do a nautilus bun or a decent figure 8 for the life of me. I am so jealous of the people who cam do those cute messy buns because mine just won't hold the style. I won't trade in my thickness in for anything. That, and I just prefer braids anyway. :D I can't wait for my hair to get long enough to do Eresh's fan bun. I am totally in love with that style.

Aliped
May 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have thick hair (I think) and I have only just been able to do an infinity bun at 29 inches (past BSL for me) So you're not far off!

HappyHair87
May 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanx Roseate for the Mwedzi bun!! I have to show my sister that one too...she's natural....i'm thinkin about going natural when i turn 30...just grow out this relaxer...but right now...my natural texture is WAY too much for me to deal with.:laugh:

Its funny because i don't relax it completely straight...it still has a petty nice amount of texture to it. So my sister says i'm "half-natural"...:laugh: :D

HappyHair87
May 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I love the thickness of my hair too....i'm sorry...but i like to flat iron my hair at least once a month....and then when this thick straightened mane blows in the wind i feel like Pocahontas or something....why is it always Pocohontas??

And i agree with MissManda...i like braids better too...but then...bc of my texture....when i do a wet braid...say a french braid or something like that...it shrinks up!!:mad:...:laugh:

Guess i can't win...for losing:rolleyes:

Capybara
May 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'm stil unable to do an infinity bun at my length ... :o Partially to do with not-so-good bunning skills, and partially to do with thick hair. Also, my hair is on the fine side of M, so it tends to have a lot of slip, which doesn't help either. I do like my hair, though :)

pinkbunny
May 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Well if your hair is too thick for fancy buns, do a half-up fancy bun, then just let the bottom half hang or english/french/dutch braid it - or another fancy bun!... I wish I could do stuff like that with my fine hair, now that I have length I have to keep it simple or it's not thick enough.

Oskimosa
May 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Well if your hair is too thick for fancy buns, do a half-up fancy bun, then just let the bottom half hang or english/french/dutch braid it - or another fancy bun!... I wish I could do stuff like that with my fine hair, now that I have length I have to keep it simple or it's not thick enough.

Exactly. I can do the figure 8 if I use a small portion of my hair, put it half up or to the side or something. You can get really creative with it! Braid the rest of your hair and pin them up or wrap the 8 with it... if you love updo's, just start breaking the hair up into smaller sections. Check my updo's album, I have a couple of "multiples" styles there that only suit our type of hair.

HappyHair87
May 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
OMG....Oskimosa...not only am i loving your hair...i LOVE redheads...i have a thing for guys with red hair and freckles!:laugh:....but your ferret in you avi is SO cute!!

But i will try to do the styles in half ups....i don't know why i never think to do that....see...i'm the bonehead!!:laugh:

Oskimosa
June 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
OMG....Oskimosa...not only am i loving your hair...i LOVE redheads...i have a thing for guys with red hair and freckles!:laugh:....but your ferret in you avi is SO cute!!

But i will try to do the styles in half ups....i don't know why i never think to do that....see...i'm the bonehead!!:laugh:

Lol thanks... It's ok, I had to see something like that in an avatar here before I even tried it! That's what's so great about the community; sharing all that info :flowers:

practikalmagik
June 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM
Oh god this feels so familiar to me. I'm now firmly at BSL and I can manage maybe one or two buns but I need a bunch of hairpins to stop it all falling out. Plaits are pretty much my go-to style as simple ponytails droop down from the weight of my hair. Wouldn't change it for the world though for that moment when you shake out a plait and it's like you're a mermaid or something with this mass of thick coarse (and wavy) hair!

I've also broken 2 wooden hairsticks, one claw clip and god knows how many hairpins so far this year. Thick coarse hair is dangerous!

Amelia
June 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Oh god this feels so familiar to me. I'm now firmly at BSL and I can manage maybe one or two buns but I need a bunch of hairpins to stop it all falling out. Plaits are pretty much my go-to style as simple ponytails droop down from the weight of my hair. Wouldn't change it for the world though for that moment when you shake out a plait and it's like you're a mermaid or something with this mass of thick coarse (and wavy) hair!

I've also broken 2 wooden hairsticks, one claw clip and god knows how many hairpins so far this year. Thick coarse hair is dangerous!

God how I understand you!! My hair 'eats' stuff too!! Bobby pins disappear, hair sticks have been broken etc..

I have been trying to do a figure eight for months now, but i *know* that i don't have enough length, i'm just stubborn as a mule :P I've also been trying a cinnamon bun, and i do have the length for this one, but it won't stay!! I've tried with bobby pins, with hair sticks, the sucker won't stay! My hair has a will of its own and the damn thing won't stay in place. So.. I gave up on the cinnamon bun, to be honest i don't like it that much anyway. It was just the first one that seemed easy enough to make and that i had the length for.

I recently found the Equilibrium bun, and this one (as from yesterday) I can do without bobby pins, just one stick! I'm still amazed the thing didn't come apart.

I compensate my rebellious hair with braids. if i braid it i can tame it better. So braids are my revenge ;)

Like some of you, I moan and complaint but in the end i love the indestructible capacity of my hair. Not to mention i find it cool to say that my hair has a personality :laugh:

Amelia
March 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Funny how the last post was mine.. and today i'm here to say that i broke a wooden brush on my hair.