PDA

View Full Version : Henna removed curls - Any way to get them back?

C_Bookworm
May 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have waist length hair. I chemically dyed it up until a year ago, then started hennaing it. My 2c/3a curls have loosened to the point that they are more like 1c/2a.

I love henna and don't want to get off it, even if it means my hair loses its curl. But is there any way to henna and keep curl? Washing methods, oilings, additives to henna, etc?

OperaTeacherMom
May 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I added Amla to my henna and it didn't loosen my curl at all! Definitely look into it!

C_Bookworm
May 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I like that idea. Does amla add any color?

Arctic_Mama
May 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Henna did the same thing to my curls, that was a big part of the reason I ditched it and haven't looked back. It did funky things to my texture, as well... It felt more course than pre-henna.

teela1978
May 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
my chemically dyed hair was much curlier than my undyed hair, could it be a combination of the henna and new, less damaged hair growing in?

OperaTeacherMom
May 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I like that idea. Does amla add any color?

It can add a slightly brown-er tint in light hair, but from your profile pic it looks like your hair is already dark brown (like mine), so it shouldn't affect the color at all.

C_Bookworm
May 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It can add a slightly brown-er tint in light hair, but from your profile pic it looks like your hair is already dark brown (like mine), so it shouldn't affect the color at all.

I can deal with that:D I'll definitely add some amla to my next mix.Thanks!

C_Bookworm
May 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM
my chemically dyed hair was much curlier than my undyed hair, could it be a combination of the henna and new, less damaged hair growing in?

I hadn't thought of it. That makes sense, the top 6 inches lay really flat, no curl at all.

OperaTeacherMom
May 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yup, some people's hair gets less curly as it gets properly moisturized and cared for. Mine does the opposite, it is MUCH less curly when it is chemically dyed. I am so happy that I found henna!

teela1978
May 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Yup, some people's hair gets less curly as it gets properly moisturized and cared for. Mine does the opposite, it is MUCH less curly when it is chemically dyed. I am so happy that I found henna!
Oh, when I properly cared for my hair that was dyed it got very curly. Big thick sausage curls curly. It was gorgeous. Almost enough to make me want to dye again :)

Only went straighter as it grew out :(

Pierre
May 28th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I suggest putting your hair up in a braid or bun before hennaing. I also add amla to my mix.