PDA

View Full Version : Straight Hair When Wet

lemonmelon
May 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
So...I have a minor confusion! I've been trying to type my hair, which I know is either 1a or 1b but it got me thinking about something.

When I hop out of the shower, immediately after, my hair appears to be wavy. Last night, I let my hair dry without combing at all and it dried slightly wavy. If I were to comb my hair before letting it air dry, it would dry almost stick straight. So does this make me a 1a or a 1b? Do you go by your wet combed hair when you type, or by completely uncombed hair?

Also, for straight haired people, when you leave the shower does your hair look stick straight or does it have a bit of wave?

-Mostly just curious :D

zenobia
May 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Hi lemonmelon, I just went through the same thing. I thought my hair was stick straight but when I let it air dry it has some slight waves. The lovely ladies and gents here typed it as a 1b/1c. So let it air dry wih no combing or brushing and see what you get. :)

growing2shine
May 28th, 2010, 06:56 AM
My hair is very straight. When I get out of the shower I don't do anything to my hair and it's still very straight. :)

florenonite
May 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM
If you've got waves when you airdry without combing, I'd say you're closer to the 2 range than a 1b. 1bs don't have any sort of visible waves, there's just a bit more body than 1as. To type your hair, airdry it without any sort of manipulation (including combing), and have a look at it when it's dry. If you're not sure, take a pic and post it here.

kristymarie87
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
What about if you towel dry it? My hair takes so long to air dry, even when i squeeze out the excess its dripping wet.

Curlsgirl
May 28th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Last night, I let my hair dry without combing at all and it dried slightly wavy.

Do this again and then post the picture for us when your hair is COMPLETELY dry. "Slightly wavy" means different things to different people. :)

Anje
May 28th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Also, don't forget to check the Visual hair typing guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html), which has pictures of the different types.

There's a lot of variation in what's identified as 1c or 2a. I think this is because there's a lot of variation for folks with that texture on any given day.

lemonmelon
May 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Will post a picture soon ;)

BelleBot
May 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm a 1a/1b and even if I don't comb my hair when wet it dries straight. It's not completely poker straight unless I comb or brush it, hence 1b as it occasionally flicks a little at the ends. But I never have any waves unless I braid/bun it. If you've got waves coming through then you're more likely to be 1c.

lemonmelon
May 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Here's an update on my version of "slighty wavy". There's not a ton but it's definitely not poker straight?

Anyone have some input on what type my hair looks like? 1b?
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/lemonmelon/wavymaybe.jpg

ASillyKitty
May 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Mine is similar. When I comb it wet it dries totally straight, but when I leave it alone it gets fairly wavy. I think I'm somewhere around 1c/2a. I think yours is at least 1c, there are definite s waves there. They might straighten out when it gets longer though, I know my hair is more wavy when it's short.

JenniferNoel
May 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Looks like a 1b/1c maybe, from my point of view. Like the above poster said, it may straighten out with length as it gets weighed down. :)
My hair is stick straight right out of the shower, and dries 2c.
Maybe it's a M/iii thing.

2peasinapod
May 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
That's almost exactly what my hair looked like at that length. Sometimes it's really hard to see waves until your hair has some more length, but right now you look like at least 1c, probably more 2a as it grows out. Happy growing! :flower:

Naamah
May 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
It looks about 1c to me. My hair got wavier as it got longer, the same may happen to your hair.

JenniferNoel
May 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
My hair got wavier as it got longer, the same may happen to your hair.

Yeah! Keep in mind, however, mine did just the opposite. Mine lied to me and told me it was 3a when I was at SL to collarbone, then started straightening out to a barely-2c texture at APL with the weight. It is still just barely 2c.
Exciting, isn't it? :D

melikai
May 28th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I would say 1c for now, and maybe 2a as it grows longer.

teela1978
May 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Its hard to say at that length, but I'd guess 2a myself.

ETA: I like the paint color in your room :)

MissManda
May 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hmm, I'd say it looks like 1c/2a. :)

teela1978
May 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
What about if you towel dry it? My hair takes so long to air dry, even when i squeeze out the excess its dripping wet.
Yeah. I've really only ever typed my hair on hot summer days when I didn't plan to leave the house. Technically you shouldn't even towel dry. I do think you get get a decent guess even with using a towel gently though.

MissManda
May 28th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I get straight out of the shower, I have some serious S-waves going on. I thought my hair was stick-straight until I switched to natural shampoo, which makes my hair fluffier and happier and after I joined LHC.

My hair type is just a guess... I still need to do an "official" hair typing. I have some loose S-waves at the temples, even when I brush/comb my hair out.

Barniie
May 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
well mine is a teensy bit wavier than your and im a 1c/2a so id say you are a 1c :)

florenonite
May 29th, 2010, 03:29 AM
It looks about 1c to me, and looks like it'll get wavier as it gets longer.

Yeah! Keep in mind, however, mine did just the opposite. Mine lied to me and told me it was 3a when I was at SL to collarbone, then started straightening out to a barely-2c texture at APL with the weight. It is still just barely 2c.
Exciting, isn't it? :D

Generally speaking, in my experience at least, curlier hair tends to get straighter as it gets longer because of the added weight, whereas straighter hair is more apt to get wavier as it gets longer because the waves are so loose that the hair just isn't long enough for proper waves yet.

lemonmelon
May 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone!

Exciting to find out I don't have straight hair after all! :laugh: