PDA

View Full Version : Diluting

LaurelSpring
May 10th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Hey, I have a question. When you dilute shampoos or conditioners do you use distilled water? I am wondering about growing things in the container.

florenonite
May 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I just dilute it in the shower in my hand. A bit of shampoo and a cupped handful of water and I mix it all together.

jojo
May 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
i pour half shampoo in an empty bottle and just dilute from tap, my conditioner i also dilute and have in a old AVG pump bottle, last ages

Xandergrammy
May 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I use regular water, but I only make enough to use that one time. I have a little squirt bottle that I use.

Stephanie
May 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
i pour half shampoo in an empty bottle and just dilute from tap, my conditioner i also dilute and have in a old AVG pump bottle, last ages
It has honestly never occurred to me to dilute my conditioner. I've been known to add additional oil to it, but since my hair no longer needs all the intense conditioning, this is a great idea! Thanks!

ETA: Oh, and to dilute shampoo, I usually just bring a large cup into the shower with me, pour a couple drops of shampoo in, fill with warm shower water and pour on my hair.

spidermom
May 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I have an empty shampoo bottle in the shower area. I put some warm water in there, then a small squeeze of shampoo, shake well, and squirt all over my scalp, including around the nape, while I hold my ends up with the other hand so no shampoo drips down on them. I don't dilute the conditioner at all but add a small amount, massage or comb through the ends, then squeeze the extra water and conditioner out of my hair in a motion like milking a cow. Most of the time, I don't rinse the conditioner out. My ends need all the moisture they can get!

embee
May 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I dilute both by dividing new containers and adding water. Often it's more dilute than 50/50. Oh, tap water.

When I'm not on a WO routine I will dilute the conditioner even more right before I use it. I keep a big old plastic tumbler in the shower and squirt some (already diluted) conditioner in there, add water, and mix it up well. I will first pour a bit over my head and then I'll take my ends and dip them into the tumbler and let them soak a bit. Eventually I'll pour the whole thing over and then rinse nicely.

blue_nant
May 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
halved or thirded, i find thirded has more suds and rinses easier. and i love how cheap it makes my shampooing.

when people tell me they presume that long hair is expensive to keep up, I just laugh

Dianyla
May 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I use regular water, but I only make enough to use that one time. I have a little squirt bottle that I use.
What she said! :)

I use about a 1:16 ratio shampoo:water.

justgreen
May 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I have a small bottle with a nozzle, I make up mine right before using because I hardly ever use the same shampoo twice. I rotate my favorites.

Cheery
May 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I just dilute it in the shower in my hand. A bit of shampoo and a cupped handful of water and I mix it all together.

This is exactly what I do. I find it rinses out much faster and my hair still gets just as clean.

tiny_teesha
May 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
i use an empty ketchup bottle. I squeeze in some shampoo, add about 7 X more water and then shake it and squeese it on my scalp while massageing it in with the other hand, then i rinse, squeeze my hair out and apply conditioner and rinse. Then ACV rinse.

teela1978
May 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have an empty shampoo bottle in the shower area. I put some warm water in there, then a small squeeze of shampoo, shake well, and squirt all over my scalp, including around the nape

That's pretty much what I do. I don't think I'd dilute and keep it in there. Aside from the potential growth of stuff, cold water on my warm head in the shower sounds bad. I think diluting a lot really helps get the soap to the scalp through my hair. I seem to miss spots if I try just using less. Dilution is key :)

jojo
May 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM
It has honestly never occurred to me to dilute my conditioner. I've been known to add additional oil to it, but since my hair no longer needs all the intense conditioning, this is a great idea! Thanks!

ETA: Oh, and to dilute shampoo, I usually just bring a large cup into the shower with me, pour a couple drops of shampoo in, fill with warm shower water and pour on my hair.

your welcome, it works just as well too!

Speedbump
May 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I have a little Rubbermaid container (http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd210003) that I took the internal straw out of and it works great. I put about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of shampoo in the bottom, and fill the rest up with hot tap water on a low pressure (to avoid too many suds). Then I shake it up to dilute. It stays pretty well mixed up, but I shake it before using anyway. It lasts for quite a while!