PDA

View Full Version : Summer hair/fashion advice

gossamer
May 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
So I came across this advice today on the website of a clothing store: "Keep it natural all the way in a simple but irresistible dress, faded citrus hues and sunkissed tangly hair. (If the sea’s too far, salt water spray will do the trick.)".

Ack! Tangled hair? Salt water spray?

Ignoring that advice at the awful end of the hair care spectrum, what do you do with your hair over the summer?

Balenciaga
May 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
At least when it dries you could shake it out over your chips?

gossamer
May 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Bahaha! Hilarious idea. You may be onto something.

Copasetic
May 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I am certain they don't literally mean "tangled" hair; just hair thats messy and not freshly brushed.

Right now, it is too hot for me to do anything with my hair except put it in a high bun. :(

pinkbunny
May 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I read in a magazine that loose messy lopsided braids are all the rave - it's definitely easy to create, but tricky to pull off (make it too messy and you just look like a slob lol)

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
last year: half up or down with a poof. this year: bun!

cocolover
May 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I am really enjoying all the messy styles this spring, as my hair looks like this on its own :) I love making a messy, low side bun. It is soft on the face, easy to do and really popular right now.

dfotw
May 28th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Buns all the way for me during summer (and pretty much the rest of the year, too). It's gets pretty hot where I live from May to September (except this year, when it's been rainy and cold :confused:), and I couldn't live with my hair down. A simple Cinnamon Bun or a Lazy Bun keeps my hair protected, the back of my neck fresh, and everything is less sweaty and icky.

I also wear scarves or a straw hat when I'm going out in the sun, to keep my hair protected from the light.

FrannyG
May 28th, 2010, 03:51 AM
French braided buns for going out, and milkmaid braids around the house for me. It's already been hot enough that I'm reminded just how necessary it is to keep hair off my neck in the summer. I'm another who likes to keep her hair covered from the sun if I'm out in it for more than a few minutes.

And no salt water for me. :p

GRU
May 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM
With as hydrophilic as my porous curly hair is already, the LAST thing I need to do is add saltwater to it!

But I do like the idea of using it as a wearable salt-shaker.... ;)

BattahZ
May 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
For the past few days I've been doing double buns, very low and right next to each other - after my trim my hair is JUST too short to do a nice stable bun, but the double buns hold great.

Amrita Singh is having a Memorial Day sale, so I stocked up on gorgeous earrings that look fab with a nice bun :)

HappyHair87
May 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My summer styles this year are either a huge floppy bun on top of my head with a head band or some sort of bun with a hair stick or fork...and maybe a braid added to it during the week...on the weekends i'm rocking braidouts (braid waves) or bantu knot waves or i blow dry and flat iron....but heat is used no more than 2x a month.:)

elina333
May 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Im sure they didnt mean tangled! The trend right now is messy hair, like a bohemian kind of style. Braids are über trendy this summer, and they're nice on your hair too! :D

Sara_1987
May 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I'm really into this year's summer fashion and already bought some super cute pieces: very light jeans and jeggings, tops and dresses with a flowery print and my favourite: antique pink/powdery pink. And then really cute golden sandals and of course flowy summer dresses.
I have also been spotting lots of cute gold and pink hair accesories and I'm going to be using lots of flowers and ribbons.

Like mentioned above when it comes to hairstyles I think by "tangled" they mean the messy bohemian style. I'm not that much into the messy style, but I do love the popularity of braids. I'm doing lots of braid headbands (perfect for my annoying bangs that I'm growing out!) and fishtail braids.
and large loose waves (created with sock curling).

I love summer so much! I just feel way better. In winter I feel ugly and dowdy because of all the layers and thick clothing and non-elegant shoes (boots just never look good to me).

Emerson
May 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I read in a magazine that loose messy lopsided braids are all the rave - it's definitely easy to create, but tricky to pull off (make it too messy and you just look like a slob lol)

LOL :) I love to wear my hair down, but I'm going to try more updos this summer...I don't think I can pull off the braids, but buns I can do ;) time to get some more hair accessories for sure.

Fiferstone
May 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have to keep it off the back of my neck in really hot weather, so I tend to go for braids or buns. I'm bunning it more these days because it's now getting into things I don't want it to get into. I wear it down at home when I'm not really doing anything (like, when I'm reading LHC :)). I also like putting it up damp or sopping wet in the summer. So long as there's a breeze of some sort I've got a built-in 'air conditioner.'

JenniferNoel
May 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Braids of all sorts work for me, just a simple sundress and a hasty braid always looks cute at the beach. :D

Meagan
May 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Beach waves

gypsychild
May 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I like braiding my hair when it's wet and making waves...which works about 40% of the time. Otherwise, it generally stays loose as I don't have much length yet.

Cheeks1206
May 29th, 2010, 11:29 PM
My hair actually likes salt to some extent. When I use products that contain a little salt (usually magnesium sulfate) my hair has a much nicer curl pattern than without it. With my hair liking it so much, I've personally never found it drying, but I know some people do. To each her own, I suppose.

Locksmith
May 30th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I usually end up braiding my hair if I'm going to be out in the sun, as I've yet to find a bun that works well with a sunhat. :( Combination of hair and suncream = ick! My fringe is really annoying for that...

Melisande
May 30th, 2010, 06:27 AM
My hair likes ocean salt, too.

I wear buns and braids all summer and all winter long ;-)

Elbereth
May 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Damp buns under a thin cotton scarf long enough to protect my neck= bliss and comfort on hot days :inlove:

Melisande
May 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Yessss - how could I forget the dripping wet bun on a hot day?

Dreamernz
May 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Braids and loose waves are cool :), depends how hot it is

superficial
May 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I like the look of beach hair.. but salt water spray? nah.

Masara
May 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I don't really change my styles in the summer. It's up in winter and it's up in summer. My hair annoys me around my face (true, even more so in summer because it sticks to my neck and feels hot) I suppose I'm more likely to do braids in summer because somehow they feel summery to me.

My hair tangles very fast without help from salt. I can't immagine trying to increase that.

Capybara
May 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I love twin braids in the summer, because I still get to wear it "down." As for the salt water spray - well, my hair does like sea water, but I can't imagine spraying it on intentionally!

I guess my hairstyle depends on what I'll be doing that day. If I'm going to be active, braids and buns are usually the best choice. I still like to wear it down in the summer though :)

Aurielle
May 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'll definately be wearing my hair up during the summer! It is too hot here to not do so. I'll probably stick with double braids unless they end up being too warm for summer.

I, too, like the way my hair curls (it goes from 2B/C to definate 2C with even more spirals!) after spending a day at the beach but I haven't been there in a few years so I can't recall whether or not it dries out my hair. This year I'll be going again so I may risk the dryness and try it then.

LaineRB
May 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've been into double, messy, fish tails with some of the strands pulled out to form 'loops' down the braid. I use lots of strands in the fish tail but braid them loosely so they can be pulled out for that messy-cute look. I've been getting lots of compliments and my bf loves them too.

stuntpeople
May 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Double braids, they've been great so far since I overheat easily. I get strange looks from other guys but I'd rather be comfortable :D