PDA

View Full Version : I'm just... OH I AM MAD. (rant)

Athena's Owl
May 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
And it's also really trivial but it's also fraught with politics and ARRGH but I just wanna complain!

I was on the bus yesterday to go to market, and I had my hair out and curly, because it was damp and sorta rainy and I wanted to see how my hair reacts to that. (Answer: not too bad.)

anyway, a (white) man on the bus smiled at me and said, "you have very pretty hair! You must spend a lot of time on it!" and I thanked him and said that I don't begrudge the time I take on my hair because I'm quite proud of it.

And then I hear, said to her seatmate: "Proud of my weave." and then snickering.

and I just -- ARRGH!

It's not a weave! What the hell, it's curly and it's long and I was wearing it completely unbound in the WIND AND RAIN. no, it's not even a top quality 100% human hair weave, but it IS 100% human hair and it's MINE. I GREW IT. It isn't stuck to me with glue or sewn in or however it's bloody done. It's not a wig - not even a lace front hand hooked human hair wig. How can you not know REAL HAIR when you see it?

...Oh yeah, because my hair being real hair on a black woman is impossible. SILLY ME! HOW COULD I FORGET!

So mad all out of proportion over such a tiny thing. but AUGH!

Maplecat
May 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Wow! That comment was really out of line. I hope you are able to focus on the compliment and ignore the stupid remark.

spidermom
May 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Some people shouldn't be allowed to walk among us.

Naamah
May 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Some people make me so mad. Your hair is beautiful and does not look fake at all. Whoever said that was probably jealous of your beautiful curls.

Elleyena
May 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I hate it when people just assume things and then voice them out loud. Your curls are gorgeous girl, just focus on the compliment.

Lexy
May 27th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Some people stink. But hey, you have beautiful hair and you didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars and you didn't have to sit in a salon chair for hours. I bet they're jealous.

ItalianFlower
May 27th, 2010, 05:10 PM
This upsets me because #1) black hair is AMAZING to begin with and 2) yours is particularly gorgeous. No one needs to be rude about it...

That being said, any black person that I know in real life with long hair does have a weave, so I can understand where the girls might get the idea. Doesn't justify the rudeness of course, but we DO need some more representation of natural hair! :) Of course, you're doing a great job, showing how BEAUTIFUL black hair can be!

saskia_madding
May 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
That is so frustrating and rage making.

Whether your hair is gorgeous or not (I vote for gorgeous, by the way!), the thing that bugs me so much is the racial stereotyping AND the value judgment that goes with it. Even if it were true that all women of your race wear weaves (which it ISN'T), why is the speaker automatically using that as an insult?

Because there is only one standard of beauty of any value in pop culture - the white standard, where women (and men) are supposed to spend hours a day and tons of products trying to look as "natural" as possible. Invisible make up this, barely there blush that. Blah blah, woof woof. So by hinting that black women only wear weaves, what they are really saying is that they are fake, and not "real" people of value. That makes it okay to dehumanize them and ******ize them.

No, that isn't the exact words that the commenter used, but that is the subtext, the cultural syntax that they were appealing to.

And it's pure racism.

Nae
May 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
You know, I have always admired your siggy picture but have never went to your page and really looked at your hair. So I just popped in for a quick peek and....... It is unbelievably gorgeous!!! It was a very rude comment and I am mightily tempted to slap some people around for you but I can almost understand someone thinking it couldn't be real because people in real life so rarely have hair as fantastic as yours! They were in the presence of some great hair and didn't even have the brains to realize it!!!! Idiots.

Don't let them get you down. The joke is really on them, they were dumb enough to think it was a weave. To assume something like that is just pathetic. Sad little narrow people and their sad little narrow lives! That is no weave!!! That is LHC hair!!!! You be proud of what you have accomplished with all that curly goodness!:grouphug:

Capybara
May 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
You have amazing hair! Some people are so rude.

MissManda
May 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
That was so rude! I think your curls are stunning! They must be blind if they thought your hair was a weave. Just be happy with the compliment and with all of the love and care that you have put into growing your hair. :)

rhosyn_du
May 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
How completely infuriating. Your hair is stunning and obviously real to anyone not making messed up racist assumptions. What a jerk.

frodolaughs
May 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Your hair is beautiful and beautifully real. Some people are just ridiculous. (I've had people insist on knowing what dye I use). You have my dream hair, by the way, the hair I wanted when I was six years old.

justgreen
May 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, with board straight hair and I've been accused of having a weave. How stupid.

marikamt
May 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Sheesh. What a jerk.
I second what everyone else said........

Your hair is absolutely beautiful.

RavennaNight
May 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Some people are really ignorant. Your hair is gorgeous!

missfortune9335
May 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
what is wrong with some people I'll never know. Even if it had been a weave or a wig or what have you, so what? what is funny about that? The fact that's it's your own natural hair is the icing on the cake that makes it extra upsetting! That being said, you have beautiful hair and they are just a couple of petty small minded people who are not worth spending much time or emotion on. I'm sorry you had that experiance.

neon-dream
May 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
That is not fair. Some people just can't handle jealousy!! Your hair is stunning, and it was nice of that man to let you know :) Ignore the girls. They're not worth your time.

UltraBella
May 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ugh ! Some people are so rude !
I do know how you feel though. At my Uncle's funeral my Aunt Francis told all my cousins that I have hair extensions and she doesn't understand it because I am not black. What ?!?! This woman has known me my entire life and I have had super thick hair since I was three and long hair since 7th grade !
Completely stupid :(

IndigoAsh
May 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
so I just took a peek at your album and your hair is perfect... I mean, grossly perfect. The individual who made the comment can rot. Just take the 'insult' as a compliment. She obviously is being a poor sport cause she can't get a compliment.

Lamb
May 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'll just go with spidermom on this one.
:nono:
I'm sorry this happened to you. :flowers:

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
You must be so angry/frustrated. What a remark. I've always admired your natural curls. It is sad that not everyone realizes the potential of a hair type like yours to be grown long and beautiful. And I agree with Naahmah- Jealous.

julliams
May 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Is it possible that the woman who said she was "proud of my weave" was actually sarcastically talking about her own hair?

Kind of like if someone said to someone else "gee you've lost weight you must be so proud" and another person snickered "yes and I'm proud of the weight I've gained"?? Something like that?? Just a thought.

I took a peek at your photos and honestly I don't think anyone could think your hair was anything but totally natural. I'm guessing this comment was that particular lady making a sarcastic comment about her own hair.

cindy58
May 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I just took a peek in your album, I think your hair is gorgeous! (and absolutely natural looking).

Where I live, the nasty economy seems to have freed people to leave any trace of civility or manners behind and say just about any rotten thing that they think they can get away with.

halo_tightens
May 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm just the sort of person who would've shoved my head about two inches from her nasty face and tousled my hair around to show her that it was NOT a weave. I get angry maybe a little too easily at crap like that... Seriously, I think that's what would have happened it it were me, for better or for worse.

You've put a lot of time and care into your hair; a weave can be had by anyone with the money. There might not be a difference to some people, but there certainly is to me. And when someone makes me MAD, I'm not always a very good Christian.

I might have been able to stop myself from outright attacking her, verbally or physically. However, neither of us would have left that bus until she knew and admitted that it was my natural hair, grown out of my own scalp.

*Shrugs* I can be a b**** like that.

Sorry you had to deal with such a moron. I know how it can just screw up your whole day. :grouphug:

Athena's Owl
May 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Is it possible that the woman who said she was "proud of my weave" was actually sarcastically talking about her own hair?

There is a possibility that she was, as she *did* have the braid in nylon hair extensions you can buy from the drugstore or walmart or wherever. Her friend did too.

But what I was *hearing* was a put-down for pretending that my hair was my own to someone who was too ignorant about Black hair to know anybetter. You're *supposed* to say "Thank you, but it's a wig/weave/extensions." But I said that I was proud of my hair, which couldn't possibly be real. And I'm pretty sure that was what was meant - she was catting on me for lying by implication.

julliams
May 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ah, ok I understand. Yes I can see how that would make me boil.

There are always hundreds of "perfect comebacks" that you think of in the hours afterwards but at the end of the day:

1. You received a compliment from a complete stranger - she didn't.
2. You have a gorgeous natural head of hear - she doesn't.
3. Her comment just makes her look ignorant and jealous.
4. You held your head up high and didn't retaliate (spelling???)
You win hands down!!!

Loreley
May 28th, 2010, 03:17 AM
That was really rude! Don't care about it, your hair gorgeous! :)

Alun
May 28th, 2010, 03:27 AM
That was a very rude comment, saying you had a weave. There are idiots everywhere, I suppose.

FrannyG
May 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM
There are so many unbelievably rude and ignorant people around who don't give a second thought to being cruel. I'll never understand it.

Just remember that it was a complete stranger, and that person means nothing to you.

Your hair is truly beautiful, and you have worked long and hard to achieve your long, gorgeous curls. Just keep on being proud of your hair and your efforts and don't let a comment made by a complete moron get you down. :blossom:

virgo75
May 28th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've had the same remarks before.

At this point I take it as a compliment that someone thinks my own hair is so amazingly gorgeous that I would pay good money to put someone else's hair on my head that looks like my own. :lol:

Just remember:

http://icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/haters5.jpg

Keep strutting with your beautiful, long, curly hair. ;)

Pixna
May 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Some people are simply filled with envy (and utterly poor social skills) and cannot believe that there are others with natural beauty among us. Take her incredibly rude comment with a grain of salt and know that if she didn't think your hair was so stunning (and it is!!), she wouldn't have said anything at all.

Ignore the idjits (stupid people with very small minds).

alabaster
May 28th, 2010, 06:32 AM
some people are just so rude.... ignore the comment and try and focus on the compliment.....

SmileShine
May 28th, 2010, 06:48 AM
How awful! I just looked at your album, and your hair is so lovely. :)

IcarusBride
May 28th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Wow that's terrible!!! Obviously they were in shock of such long, healthy and beautiful hair as yours and couldn't believe that it was real. I hate racists and ignorant people. Why do they need to make negative comments about a perfect stranger, intentionally loud enough for them to hear and feel badly??? Some people are seriously sick.

florenonite
May 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Much as I think the envy card is overused in these situations, I'm gonna pull it here. It is the sort of comment someone envious of your hair would make; she doesn't want to admit her own supposed failing at not having hair like yours, so tries to convince herself it's fake or somehow flawed. I know I've done it when someone else has a given physical attribute I want and can't have (though I keep these thoughts to myself, and would never dream of saying them within earshot of the person to whom they apply). I'm not proud of it, but I don't think it's all that uncommon, either. It's a self-esteem booster, and says more about the person saying or thinking it than the person to whom they are referring.

That doesn't mean it's not hurtful, though. You worked hard for your hair (which is gorgeous, by the way), and it hurts to have someone negate those efforts by implying you've 'cheated'. There's also the underlying racial implications, because beauty ideals tend to be those which apply to women of European descent, and many black women cannot achieve the 'acceptable' hairstyles naturally and so resort to weaves. IMO there's nothing wrong with weaves (so why should they even criticise them?), there's only an issue in the fact that many black women feel the need to wear them to conform with white beauty standards. That's beside the point, though.

Try not to let it bother you that much; you've got beautiful hair and you know that it's the result of your own hard work.

SHELIAANN1969
May 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
It sounds to me like the girl that said *proud of my weave* has a weave (or did in the past) and was just being snarky. She sounds young and stupid, I wouldn't ler her comment get to you.

It sounds like the man was a true gentleman, I would not allow his wonderful comment to be overshadowed by her snark-fest.

Your hair is gorgeous, I wish I had such beautiful curls. Don't let their sh!ttyness get to you.

fairytalegirl
May 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
So sorry this happened to you. Just remember, people criticize out of their own insecurity. I agree with the rest, don't let this insignificant, mean-spirited comment overshadow that gentleman's kind and true compliment.

Anje
May 28th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm going to come down a little differently from a lot of folks.

Yes, it's rude. But on the other hand, it's entirely possible that she thought your hair looked too nice to possibly be real.

I open my big mouth way too much, but I would definitely have told her that no, yours is home-grown and yes, you are proud of it.

kristymarie87
May 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I dont think she was being racist at all. She wasn't talking about all black women, just these to rude women who happened to be black. Amazing hair btw! Im so jealous! :D

Debra83
May 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Your hair is AMAZING - just went and looked in your album. I'm awestruck.

GRU
May 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm just the sort of person who would've shoved my head about two inches from her nasty face and tousled my hair around to show her that it was NOT a weave. I get angry maybe a little too easily at crap like that... Seriously, I think that's what would have happened it it were me, for better or for worse.

You've put a lot of time and care into your hair; a weave can be had by anyone with the money. There might not be a difference to some people, but there certainly is to me. And when someone makes me MAD, I'm not always a very good Christian.

I might have been able to stop myself from outright attacking her, verbally or physically. However, neither of us would have left that bus until she knew and admitted that it was my natural hair, grown out of my own scalp.

*Shrugs* I can be a b**** like that.

Sorry you had to deal with such a moron. I know how it can just screw up your whole day. :grouphug:

halo_tightens, I think we're twins or something... your attitude *completely* matches mine, right down to the "I can be a b**** like that" part!

So I'll just add "Ditto what halo_tightens said" and save y'all from my long messy rant.

goodenough
May 28th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I don't think your post is political at all. Anyone who would say such a thing is awful and rude. People are so stupid. Remember they were probably jealous. I don't ask people questions about age, fertility choices, or whether they wear a wig. I have a friend who does (she's elderly), and I would never ever bring it up.

I am tired of people asking if I color my hair or if I'm planning on having more children. What's wrong with people!?

2peasinapod
May 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
ITA with everyone who says they were jealous. Your hair looks AMAZING and not even remotely fake. I'm sorry those girls were so rude to you. :(

Bethie
May 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
You hair looks A-Mazing and I vote for she was just jealous.. I am sorry you had to deal with that.

Firegarnet
May 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I agree-your hair is gorgeous. Some people are just toxic. :(

Coffeebug
May 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cheap nasty comments like that only make the person who is saying it look bad.

ArienEllariel
May 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Ugh that's so annoying. :( I have a friend who's biracial (half white and half black) and has really nice long hair. Everyone thinks that she's chemically straightened her hair and put in extentions or is wearing a wig, etc. because she has nice hair. She looks very much like she isn't biracial aside from the hair. When she was in beauty school, her black classmates refused to work on her hair because it was like "white girls' hair". I.e. they were envious of her hair and avoided her because of it. All her white classmates avoided her as well because she looked "black" and she had really pretty hair. It was so stupid. I felt so bad for her. People should stop being so judgemental and exclusive.. it just bugs me so much. >:(

Lunnafindel
May 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
wow, guys! chill.
Not to be naive or anything, but maybe they were just jealous, not racist? Your hair is fantastic, and sometimes it's hard to believe hair that great actually exists. I saw a woman the other day with TB length pale-blond, slightly wavy hair and instead of going into fits of envy (it's not fair! she looks like a princess! why can't my hair do that?) I automatically assumed it was fake. I'm not racist against blondes (since I am one...), I'm just jealous and don't want to admit it, so I tell myself it can't be real.
That's how we deal, and with more than hair - how many times do you hear that super-rich people have crappy lives? It may be true to some degree, but what's more true is that it makes us normal people feel better about what we have.
And then again, it might have been racist and rude. I might be giving them too much credit. But it could be much more innocent and childish than you're all reacting against.

farewell_nancy
May 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I didn't read the whole thing so I don't know if anyone else brought this up, but...He thought your hair was nice, too nice to be real. That's a complement even if he didn't know it. Adam Carolla mentioned getting a complement like that and he thought it was the best sort of complement since it's intended to be a slight but it ultimately says that they think something about you is too good to be true when you know that it is. (In Adam's case someone "complemented" him on the photoshop job on an untouched photo of him shirtless).

So the jokes on him, not you.

May
May 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I would just assume that girl is a catty, jealous, know-it-all :P and take it as a compliment...girls are just like that sometimes. I'm sure she's not an evil person...just terribly rude!

May
May 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM
wow, guys! chill.
Not to be naive or anything, but maybe they were just jealous, not racist? Your hair is fantastic, and sometimes it's hard to believe hair that great actually exists. I saw a woman the other day with TB length pale-blond, slightly wavy hair and instead of going into fits of envy (it's not fair! she looks like a princess! why can't my hair do that?) I automatically assumed it was fake. I'm not racist against blondes (since I am one...), I'm just jealous and don't want to admit it, so I tell myself it can't be real.
That's how we deal, and with more than hair - how many times do you hear that super-rich people have crappy lives? It may be true to some degree, but what's more true is that it makes us normal people feel better about what we have.
And then again, it might have been racist and rude. I might be giving them too much credit. But it could be much more innocent and childish than you're all reacting against.

Yeah ITA. Girls can be catty and want to look like they know it all...I don't think they were *evil* racists either.

camirra555
May 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
That's so rude. My hair isn't even as long as yours and people still say things to me like "Omgsh is that your hair?"

OperaTeacherMom
May 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Yup I would go with jealous too, they are obviously set in that mindset of "_________ hair type can't be grown long naturally" and since you don't fit their mold, yours must not be real! Your hair is real and gorgeous and they are just ignorant.

thriftesfai
May 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Well, jealousy is a sickness! Pay no attention and continue on with your goals. Weave? Pffft, real and proud of it! They can suck on that!

KBG
May 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Your hair totally rocks! Ignorant people are always going to spew some sort of insanity... I'm going with a jealousy-w/ a-side-of-stereotype-assessment.

When my hair color is natural, I'm sometimes accused of dyeing it black. I've even had relatives tell me that "No one's hair is that black."(I'm thinking or I say "Have you not known me my entire life??"

It's not even as dark as my mom & brother's!... more like an soft-black. It's brownish now in places ( from a baking soda experiment gone awry) but growing out black w/ a bit of grey. Of course these comments come from brown-haired people.

That woman was beyond rude and & her statement reflects on her own limited mindset & envy, IMO.

It would've been much wiser for her to ask you for advice!

Linnykinz
May 29th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry for their ignorance hun..people like this really have no place to speak. Your hair is beautiful, and I'm sure they were just mad jealous ;) I know I am. Funny though, being white nobody ever suspected I had a weave..even though it totally didn't match my texture. Really goes to show you the assumptions people will make, it's horrible.

Keep your head up!! <3

HotRag
May 29th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Some people take every chance to be mean to others.

Sunsailing
May 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
You have every right to be mad.

I agree with some of the above comments. Those girls must have also thought your hair was beautiful. But that doesn't excuse their rudeness.

I had someone ask me if I took testosterone blockers. I was surprised that anyone would ask that, so I asked them why they wanted to know? Their response was that men usually can't grow hair my length.
The more I thought about it, the more angry I became. Does it look like I have less testosterone? I am very hairy everywhere on my body....due to the testerone.
Did this person ever think that I might have good genetics for hair and that I take good care of my hair?

Those girls must have thought that it was impossible for someone to have such beautiful, real, natural hair at your length. Even though they did not mean it as a compliment, in a round-about way it really is a compliment.

CrisDee
May 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
...He thought your hair was nice, too nice to be real... (In Adam's case someone "complemented" him on the photoshop job on an untouched photo of him shirtless). So the jokes on him, not you.

That's how I've always taken that kind of snarkiness - with a surprised look, slightly raised eyebrow and a bit of a condecending smile.

But I do sort of understand how people could think it just had to be fake. In our modern culture, doesn't matter of you're black, white or sky blue pink, the proliferation of chemicals and heat styling have made it nearly impossible to grow hair like yours. It never seems to occur to most people that you don't have to use those things, that those things virtually preclude having decent hair, and that there are those of us who don't buy into the use of those things, and therefore can have hair like yours. (Which, by the way, is just drop dead gorgeous!!)

Bucatini
May 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It's all jealousy-- the beauty of your hair is superhuman.

Laylah
May 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
It was totally wrong and uncalled of for her to say that...but it surprises (and saddens) me that so many people are quick are say "they're jealous". I've seen it on a lot of other threads too.

DragonLady
May 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Yikes. I just read this thread. :(

Hugs to you. No one needs a bully like that in their lives, even for the duration of a bus trip. :(

Congratulations on having hair so beautiful it looks like it cost hundreds of dollars.

ericthegreat
May 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rude people will really find any excuse to tear down another human being. The best vengeance Athena is simply to stay a happy person and NOT let any of them get to you and ruin your day and make you feel unhappy. Be proud of your REAL HAIR that you dedidated your hard earned time and effort in growing and maintaining it!

angelthadiva
May 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
OP: I'm wondering if the seatmates were not talking about YOU, but talking about themselves. That's what I'm reading into it. I could be off base, you were there I was not. Unfortunately it is quite common for women regardless of their ethnicity to cut down on other women.

I, personally think it's stupid and should embrace sisterhood more than we as a society do. It does not take anything away from me to acknowlege another woman; it also doesn't mean I'm trying to get in her pants either. If I see a lady who is put together, I'll tell her she's got it goin' on! It has never failed to make her day, and has not made me less of a woman in doing so.

Regardless, I'm sorry that you were hurt in the unfortunate bus situation...Many regardless of ethnicity don't realized you can have beautiful natural hair without chemicals, flat irons. If they were directing their comment to you; perhaps they thought it looked too good to be natural :shrug: so in a way that was a compliment--Take it as such; since your hair is the bomb-diggity!! :)

trillcat
May 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Comments like that are why the "What Stupid Comments..." thread was born!
Pure hating on you! Jealousy the green ugly monster lurkes everywhere!
I am also on the other end of the hair type/ color from you. Going
back a few years, well OK a bunch of years, lol. No one would believe my hair was really (natural) blonde, really long, and really straight. I heard all sorts of nastyness from little B's that couldn't deal with the fact they had to go chemical and hot irons and fake bits to get what my hair was without that.
Enjoy your hair! Smile knowing that they are soooooooo jealous of your hair! :)

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure how anyone could think your hair is a weave. A lot of white girls in my town have them(still fairly short hair, but they over process their hair like crazy.), and well, they generally look really plasticy, even the human hair ones. Probably since they overprocess the extensions as well. I've never actually seen curly extensions, only flat ironed or braided(or falls with dreads, but those aren't exactly normal fashion).I could see how someone might think your hair is a weave or extensions if it was flat ironed, since you do have long hair and a lot of people (of all races) struggle to get their hair long. Your hair is amazingly shiny and frizz free/amazing looking, so it's possible IMO, that they thought it had to be fake since well, most people that I've seen, don't have hair as lovely as yours! I don't think they were being racist at all, though they might have honestly been surprised at how amazing your hair looks!

rchorr
May 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Ok, that's just rude. I had my own comment. My sister's mother-in-law looked at my long, curly, red hair and told me that "you're too old for hair that long." HUH?!? I have to say that I wasn't feeling particularly well that day, and did NOT take the high road. I replied "Well, I may be too old for this hairstyle, but I'm not old enough for yours." My sister raised an eyebrow and turned away so her mother-in-law couldn't see her smile.

Looking back on it, I was just as rude as she was, but I have to say, I don't feel badly about it. Rude people need to know that they're being rude. Sometimes, turning their words back on them is the only way to wake them up!

RCHORR'

Beatnik Guy
May 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I replied "Well, I may be too old for this hairstyle, but I'm not old enough for yours."

:rollin:

Athena's Owl
May 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I replied "Well, I may be too old for this hairstyle, but I'm not old enough for yours."
:spitting:
Oh, SNAP! she got told!

KBG
May 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

adiapalic
May 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You have amazing hair. Sorry someone had to say something so ridiculous :flower:

Shermie Girl
May 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Golly, your hair is gorgeous. Seriously :thud: worthy. (Why haven't I checked out your album before now? :o)

I really wish that people would learn to have some tact and keep their silly mouths shut. Whether your hair is "real" or a weave is no one else's business and for them to make snide comments in your hearing was inexcusably rude. To assume, based on your skin tone that your hair is a weave is not only rude, it is, IMO racist, as well.

Hug the compliment close and enjoy it. Forget about the girls on the bus. Their nasty ways is their downfall. Not your fault. :flower:

GlassEyes
May 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure how anyone could think your hair is a weave. A lot of white girls in my town have them(still fairly short hair, but they over process their hair like crazy.), and well, they generally look really plasticy, even the human hair ones. Probably since they overprocess the extensions as well. I've never actually seen curly extensions, only flat ironed or braided(or falls with dreads, but those aren't exactly normal fashion).I could see how someone might think your hair is a weave or extensions if it was flat ironed, since you do have long hair and a lot of people (of all races) struggle to get their hair long. Your hair is amazingly shiny and frizz free/amazing looking, so it's possible IMO, that they thought it had to be fake since well, most people that I've seen, don't have hair as lovely as yours! I don't think they were being racist at all, though they might have honestly been surprised at how amazing your hair looks!

Corkscrew weaves are really popular around here, actually.

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Huh then. I guess I need to get into Boston more often from the suburbs! xD

GlassEyes
May 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Huh then. I guess I need to get into Boston more often from the suburbs! xD
I don't live in Boston, but I don't doubt they're pretty popular there too.

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Ah, NVM, I thought you lived in MA for a while! Sorry about the confusion! xD

GlassEyes
May 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Ah, NVM, I thought you lived in MA for a while! Sorry about the confusion! xD
I live in MA, just not in Boston. XD;

Fractalsofhair
May 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
xD Lol, ok then! Confusion solved there.

Meagan
May 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Did u let them know that it's ur real hair?

palaeoqueen
May 31st, 2010, 06:12 AM
I can't view your album only your profile pic (because I'm new I guess) but your hair is beautiful and obviously natural.

Can I just ask what is a weave? Is it the same as hair extensions? Thanks :)

PhillyGirl1978@
May 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM
And it's also really trivial but it's also fraught with politics and ARRGH but I just wanna complain!

I was on the bus yesterday to go to market, and I had my hair out and curly, because it was damp and sorta rainy and I wanted to see how my hair reacts to that. (Answer: not too bad.)

anyway, a (white) man on the bus smiled at me and said, "you have very pretty hair! You must spend a lot of time on it!" and I thanked him and said that I don't begrudge the time I take on my hair because I'm quite proud of it.

And then I hear, said to her seatmate: "Proud of my weave." and then snickering.

and I just -- ARRGH!

It's not a weave! What the hell, it's curly and it's long and I was wearing it completely unbound in the WIND AND RAIN. no, it's not even a top quality 100% human hair weave, but it IS 100% human hair and it's MINE. I GREW IT. It isn't stuck to me with glue or sewn in or however it's bloody done. It's not a wig - not even a lace front hand hooked human hair wig. How can you not know REAL HAIR when you see it?

...Oh yeah, because my hair being real hair on a black woman is impossible. SILLY ME! HOW COULD I FORGET!

So mad all out of proportion over such a tiny thing. but AUGH!

Wow....you have more restraint then me. I think I would have said...."it's all mine....thank you very much!!" I hate when people assume because it's long and curly, that it's a weave. I had a dude at a party come over and do the "weave-check" on me...put his hand right on my head!!!lol

rapunzhell13
May 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Wow....you have more restraint then me. I think I would have said...."it's all mine....thank you very much!!" I hate when people assume because it's long and curly, that it's a weave. I had a dude at a party come over and do the "weave-check" on me...put his hand right on my head!!!lol

Wow, he really violated your personal space there! I would have given him a piece of my mind after that, for sure. Even as a hairdresser I was trained to always ask for permission before touching a client's hair. It's a very personal gesture, after all.

Fractalsofhair
May 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
palaeoqueen-A weave is basically the same idea as extensions, but the hair is generally sewn onto a bit of fabric(a "Track"), and then the hair is sewn into your actual hair. It's often a bit less expensive than regular extensions, and easier to do yourself, so I've heard of it having a "tackier" reputation than extensions, but in all honesty, extensions aren't much different, except maybe with the cost. I've seen weaves both for the color, and for the length, rather as extensions are often done to add thickness, and I've never heard of a weave being used for that purpose.(However, I don't generally discuss hair with random people! Also, I'm fairly sure I only notice bad looking weaves. xD) They can cause baldness over time, just like extensions!

palaeoqueen
May 31st, 2010, 11:33 AM
palaeoqueen-A weave is basically the same idea as extensions, but the hair is generally sewn onto a bit of fabric(a "Track"), and then the hair is sewn into your actual hair. It's often a bit less expensive than regular extensions, and easier to do yourself, so I've heard of it having a "tackier" reputation than extensions, but in all honesty, extensions aren't much different, except maybe with the cost. I've seen weaves both for the color, and for the length, rather as extensions are often done to add thickness, and I've never heard of a weave being used for that purpose.(However, I don't generally discuss hair with random people! Also, I'm fairly sure I only notice bad looking weaves. xD) They can cause baldness over time, just like extensions!

Thanks for the explanation :)

cellardoor
June 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
I would be livid if someone had the audacity to say something like that within earshot of me! The ignorance of some people never fails to amaze me.

Your hair is absolutely stunning! Who really cares what some girl on a bus thinks anyways lol