PDA

View Full Version : Today I found 30 LONG spits in my hair!!!

pinklemonade
May 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Doing my S&D today, I found not only many white dots in the middle of my hair that broke off instantly :(, I found about 30 splits, and most of them were about 6/7/8 inches long!!! How would you react if this happend to you? I finally started to accept the fact that some types of hair will always be prone to splits, but splits so far up???

I'm actually really happy about how my hair has grown recently (put new pictures in my album!) but that's why this came to me as a shock today. I didn't know there were so many long splits lurking about, and who knows how many more there are! I cannot cut 8 inches off after how far I've come. I guess I'll just continue S&D, but might end up with some really see through hair. In fact, I'm not too pleased with how my ends are looking....Anyway, just wanted to share this not so happy news. I'd also be really interested in knowing if any of you have found splits so far up?

frizzalot
May 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I don't think you should cut 8 inches off all in one go. Would you consider trimming an inch every 3 months or so while continuing with s&d?

30 isn't alot considering you have ~100,000 hairs on your head :)

pinklemonade
May 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Aw thanks frizzalot! I actually found more than 30 but the other splits were more like 3 or 4 inches up. The 30 that I found were all so scarily higher up.....I'll consider trimming :)

GRU
May 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
*phew*

From the title I was afraid that this was going to be about some bum's unpleasant behavior on public transportation! (spits in hair)

:D

Firegarnet
May 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I find splits higher up. That's why I don't trim any more. The splits are not localized in the last inch of hair for me.

So I S&D. A lot. As in almost daily lately (I find it relaxing). And I start looking as high up as I can see. Most of mine are in the last 12 inches, but not all. (I did go a few years without S&D periodically)

:grouphug:

If I did a big cut every time I found a split higher up I would be stuck around shoulder length. That's just my hair.:rolleyes:

pinklemonade
May 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
*phew*

From the title I was afraid that this was going to be about some bum's unpleasant behavior on public transportation! (spits in hair)

LOL :p I didn't even notice that- Typo!!!

pinklemonade
May 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I find splits higher up. That's why I don't trim any more. The splits are not localized in the last inch of hair for me.

So I S&D. A lot. As in almost daily lately (I find it relaxing). And I start looking as high up as I can see. Most of mine are in the last 12 inches, but not all. (I did go a few years without S&D periodically)

:grouphug:

If I did a big cut every time I found a split higher up I would be stuck around shoulder length. That's just my hair.:rolleyes:

Thank you for that firegarnet! :o Relieved to know others also have splits so high up. I would also be at shoulder length if I had to cut my hair to get rid of all those splits.

Sammich
May 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't worry. Your hair is beautiful and I think it's coming along nicely. ;) I saw your recent added pic and it looks way silkier than the previous pictures, so you must be doing something right. :D
Your hair cut looks similar to how mine was cut. :) Extremely choppily layered. ;) I think it's normal to be having a few splits because of our underlayer being less protected by the canopy, no worries. Just S&D, S&D. :D Or if you're really paranoid like a previous poster said, just trim! Your hair will grow luckily. :)

*phew*

ROFL! Thank you for making me laugh a ton GRU! :D The image... of the OP just gasping at every 'spit' in their hair made me laugh really hard. :p

jera
May 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
*phew*

Heehee ! I didn't catch the typo. :spitting:

Capybara
May 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I didn't catch it either :)

I wouldn't be too concerned - I get splits like this all the time :o While it's upsetting, I think it will get better with trimming/time.

Trimming sounds like a good idea. To tell the truth, I love how your hair looks! I want to get long layers when I reach my goal :) I think they're so pretty :crush:

Meagan
May 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
My hair is prone to split ends...that's why i do little trims every other month so that they dont continue to split up the hair shaft.

Dont worry it's just hair..you'll live.

jane53
May 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
As people in my part of the country would say about your splits, pinklemonade, "Shoot. That ain't no thang."

GRU
May 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Glad everyone got a chuckle out of it!

I think the reason that typo stuck out to me is b/c I had just been reading the thread about the worst thing anyone's ever done to your hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46713), and several were about gum put in hair, and one actually WAS about someone spitting in her hair on a bus! <insert little barfing emoticon here!>

clairenewcastle
May 27th, 2010, 04:12 PM
*phew*

Me too. :D

Curbs sense of shocked outrage.....

spidermom
May 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I've found traveling splits, too, as much as 4 or 5 inches up the shaft from the bottom. It's a small percentage of all the hairs on my head, so I try not to stress over it. I do S&D occasionally and get regular trims (well, I did until the budget became so tight). That seems to keep most of my hair in good condition.

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Well my hair's not long enough for me to SEE splits that far up but I'm sure they are there. As for your own, your hair is beautiful and I would never have known about the splits! gorgeous.

melikai
May 28th, 2010, 03:25 AM
How long had it been since you'd S&D'ed? If the long splits appeared in a short amount of time, I'd look at some possible mechanical damage culprits. My BF gets long splits, and it's from his hair rubbing on the back of the computer chair.

FrannyG
May 28th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I just want to echo everyone hear who has said that it's not abnormal to find splits high up in the hair.

It would be very helpful if you filled out the details of your hair type and length, so that we could get a better idea of exactly where your hair is at.

Like many others, I do suggest some regular very small trims so that you can still gain length, but at the same time remove any pre-LHC damage that you may have. I wouldn't worry about a thing. :blossom:

farewell_nancy
May 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Doing my S&D today, I found not only many white dots in the middle of my hair that broke off instantly :(, I found about 30 splits, and most of them were about 6/7/8 inches long!!! How would you react if this happend to you? I finally started to accept the fact that some types of hair will always be prone to splits, but splits so far up???

It sounded like you meant the splits travelled 6-8 inches up the hair shaft, which sounded absolutely terrible to me. I'm not even sure how you could find splits like that since I don't check the whole length of my strands for damage, I'm not sure how you could.

pinklemonade
May 31st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Sammich, aww thank you, your hair is beautiful too :crush:Yes we definitely have a similar cut (but wish my layers were as smooth as yours!). Will def. continu S&D! :)

Capybara, thank you for your reassuring comment, I love your hair as well!:heartbeat :)Maybe splits aren't as Evil as I'm making them!

Meagan, thanks you're very right, it's just hair. But I still obsess over it lol. Is it really true that splits travel all the way up? I mean, I've found them very high up but I haven't found them all the way up to my scalp or anything....Yet:blueeek:.

Jane53, thank you for that it made me laugh! Splits aren't the end of the world after all....there are more serious issues.

Spidermom, thank you I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)Will def. continue S& D when I can. Other than that I'm not gona go crazy!

Xohbother, thank you for your lovely compliment!!:):)

Melikai, I s&d very often. I'm growing out a perm and I used to blow fry and straighten my hair...:rolleyes:

FrannyG, thank you for your encouraging words, I feel better:flowers:

farewell_nancy, yes the splits I find sometimes are very high up. I find them by holding my hair up against sunlight (they're hiding underneath all the hair so this is the only way I can spot them).

chopandchange
May 31st, 2010, 11:13 AM
My advice is, just don't look at your hair too much or too closely! Don't do S&D if it's going to get you stressed out. It's not worth it, and will only lead to worry and obsession and possibly to unnecessary trims.

I found a split like that the other day, too! They're horrifying! It made me worry that my hair was really unhealthy, but it's about standing back and looking at your hair overall. (I mean in the mirror - I know you can't really "stand back" from your own hair! LOL!)

30 is not too many, as someone has pointed out (I didn't know we had on average of 100,000 hairs! I've learnt something today)!

pinklemonade
May 31st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Thank you for that chopandchange ! What you said is so true and inspirational! :)