PDA

View Full Version : Attempted to "type" my hair...help please...

ptnicole
May 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I finally did a couple clarifying washes last night to get rid of the It's a 10 products I finished (I can't stand to throw stuff away...have to use it up). I let my hair dry without touching it. It felt icky....I'm not sure I could have put a comb through it.

When it was dry, I was pleasantly surprised that finger combing it and using my widetooth comb was pretty easy...a few little tangles in the ends, but not bad. I had a tiny, much needed, micro trim a week ago as a start to my growing process (I am super lucky to have a supportive hairdresser who has tailbone beautiful hair).

I think I am wavier than I thought. I haven't felt my hair this "fluffy" in a long long time...it feels sooooo good. This must be the cone-free feeling that everyone is talking about.

I did not feel a need to re-wet and condish...I think that is a good thing. I did oil the ends this morning though since they felt a little dry. My scalp was great too...not a bit of oiliness around the hairline that I always have with cones after 1 day.

What is the best way to keep my hair feeling this good? CO, CWC, clarify once a week or so? I'm sure it is now a trial and error process until I figure what works for me. I really want to enhance the waves...I made some of Kimberly's frizz spray last night and will try it tomorrow. Any more ideas are welcome. My biggest challenge will be keeping the highlighted hair strong...oil and protective styles?

Overall this is a "thank you for all the awesome info" and I can't wait to post a pic of 1 month growth in a few weeks!:) sorry for bad pic...will do better next time!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4645514470_87614ff42b_m.jpg

spidermom
May 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
From this photo, I'd type you at 1B. I oil the length the day before I plan to wash my hair, then I CWC with diluted shampoo. This preserves the soft, silky feeling. I do notice that the longer I go without washing it, the more rough and grabby the ends become. I think this is because of dust and lint.

ptnicole
May 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
That makes sense. I also notice the longer I go it does get funky feeling on the ends...I actually thought it would be the opposite. I am constantly surprised at what I learn on this forum and my own hair "discoveries". So cool!

Thank you!

Siava
May 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Looks like 1B to me as well. :)

ChrissieM
May 27th, 2010, 12:51 PM
1b certainly. Looks like you have some nice volume there. I wouldn't clarify once a week, it might be too harsh. We have pretty similar hairtype. I CWC mostly, and I don't use a clarifying shampoo. I find that I can get very straight hair if I comb it straight while drying, and I can enhance the waves I have by either scrunching while drying or putting it in a bun while it is slightly damp and letting it dry the rest of the way.

ptnicole
May 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
thank you ChrissieM. I'll take your advice on everything you said. I can't wait to try Kimberly's frizz recipe spray and scrunching tomorrow. If I get good waves that are worthy of a pic...I'll post it. :)

halo_tightens
May 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm going to say 1b as well! :)

Anje
May 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I was going to say 1b, but when I look at the larger pic in your profile, I'd say it looks more like 1c (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum19.html) to me. You've got some nice, loose waves happening, which puts you in the 1c-2a kinda-wavy-but-not-really spectrum, which has a lot of variability.

I would guess F and ii, but you're better able to determine that.

I find my hair does well with protein-free, silicone-free CO washing (Suave Naturals work best for me) and occasional clarifying when the hair starts to feel weird. Too much silicone or shampoo (the two tend to go together) makes mine dry out. More moisture will likely enhance your waves a bit, and could make them clump together a little to further emphasize them.

Athena's Owl
May 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
The photo in your post looks like 1b to me, but your profile pic is wavier.

Maybe keep an eye on it, and keep trying the light on products/no manipulation thing for a while longer?

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Texting my vote: 1B!