PDA

View Full Version : Cut Grow Cycle

XcaliburGirl
May 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Anyone else tend to have a cut grow cycle on purpose?

I don't mean growing and then damaging the hair and having to start over, or chopping and considering it a mistake. I mean you grow it long, then one day you chop and happily start growing again.

I've always thought that maintaining takes too much work. I hate getting trims so I cut a little shorter than I like it and then let it grow for a few years until it's a little longer than I like it.

I did a very big chop last year which is out of the norm for me, and I plan to grow to terminal or ankle just to see what it's like, but I think I'll probably end up back in my old cycle between APL and Classic.

ohiofritty
May 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
This is pretty much me. I'd grow and grow and grow, then get sick of it and CHOP (a bob about up to my hair line) and then start growing all over again. Although I have to admit, there was probably some laziness involved in the growing portion. I just really don't enjoy the whole getting-my-hair-cut process.

Also! when it was 'long' I'm talking just below BSL :laugh:

This time I'm growing it long for real!

Loreley
May 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'd like to grow my hair knee-length, just to know how it feels and then cut it back to mid-thigh length. :)

ChrissieM
May 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I was like that for years...I would grow to BSL, then would decide I wanted a haircut and cut to APL. So my hair was always "long" but never got any longer. I've broken out of that cycle for good, hopefully.

gypsychild
May 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
That's what I used to do all the time. It would just be 6 months plus between haircuts and sometimes my hair got pretty long. It's wasn't an enjoyment of growing out my hair as much as I couldn't afford to/didn't have time to get a nice haircut.

spidermom
May 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I think it was more that I'd grow my hair for a couple of years, get frustrated because "I've been growing my hair for YEARS, and it's not long yet." Then I'd get it cut short to spite ... well, I don't know who or what I was spiting exactly.

In my mid-40s, I realized that a couple of years does not result in long hair. So I acquired some patience, and I've been growing for about 10 years now (with lots of trims, some as much as 4-5 inches, in order to maintain non-snarly, thick-ish ends).

Animae
May 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I've been thinking about doing something like that and getting a serious cut. I'm between BSL and Waist, so I was thinking about cutting to should length to get rid of all the broken and split ends. But then I think about how long its taken me to get this far.

alabaster
May 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I've been on the extreme end of the scale. I have grown my hair out from a pixi cut (1inch all over) to shoulder length more than once and then cut it all over again. I have no idea why i keep doing it because i hate growing it out. The worst and most awkward phases are when you go from pixi to shoulder so i manage to make it past the part where most people throw in the towel and then i undo all of my hard work. I am currently at shoulder right now and i am making a promise to myself that i wont do that again.

LoveMyMutt
May 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Totally! I get bored easily, so I've always alternated between growing my hair long (well, by non-LHC standards, lol -- usually BSL) and then cutting it really short.

Part of the reason is I like change, and part of it is that I didn't treat my hair too nicely so it usually started looking like a haystack when it got long. We'll see how I do this time - I really want to make it to waist length just to see if I can. I don't know if I'll keep it long, though. I'm sort of unpredictable like that.

whiteisle
May 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Totally me. Totally stuck in the cycle. Just a bit over a month ago I chopped to about jaw length. I was almost APL (like an inch away) and it was taking forever to get there. I got fed up, was bored, and thought I needed a change so out came the phone to call the hairdresser. I'm hoping though this time I'll have the patience to grow further and it helps that I've changed my goal from waist to BSL. A much easier accomplishment I believe. Once I hit that I'll re-evaluate things. :)

Roseate
May 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I think I'm going to be on this cycle. I've done it once; short to hip, then back to chin. Now I'm growing again, and I'll probably cut again in the future.

I like my hair at most lengths except between shoulder and APL. That year of growing is a real PITA, and I wish there was some way to just skip past that part!

whiteisle
May 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think I'm going to be on this cycle. I've done it once; short to hip, then back to chin. Now I'm growing again, and I'll probably cut again in the future.

I like my hair at most lengths except between shoulder and APL. That year of growing is a real PITA, and I wish there was some way to just skip past that part!

I think that describes it pretty acurately. :D

going gray
May 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I've been on the extreme end of the scale. I have grown my hair out from a pixi cut (1inch all over) to shoulder length more than once and then cut it all over again. I have no idea why i keep doing it because i hate growing it out. The worst and most awkward phases are when you go from pixi to shoulder so i manage to make it past the part where most people throw in the towel and then i undo all of my hard work. I am currently at shoulder right now and i am making a promise to myself that i wont do that again.

Oh this is exactly my MO. Finally decided it's got to end, & this is the year. Except for micro trims to keep my hair looking good & healthy. No more extremes for me, going for BSL, I'm tall, so it will take time & a lot of patience.

beachlover
May 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I seem to always do this. I let my hair grow out every few years then I end up cutting it short but then regret it and grow it back out again.

luckyduck
May 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I have done that so many times! Now that I have found the hair care routines that I lacked, here on LHC, I think I can keep on growing in and enjoying it more this time. I have never tracked my hair growth rate before. People tell me my hair grows fast, now I get to keep track of it and see just how fast it really grows.

Linnykinz
May 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I keep doing this, not exactly on purpose. I will get sick of my hair and cut it myself, very badly, then go get it fixed professionally and it will end up a lot short. Then I will realize ow bad I look with short hair, and promise myself to grow it out and never cut it again. A few months later...

I'm actually getting down about my hair right now, and it's only SL. It never gets to even APL before I randomly take my blues out on my hair. :/

alimc
March 10th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting this thread. But this is me right now! I spent the last few years growing out a jaw length cut....I got to an awesome near waist length. Then the 'voices' started nagging me to cut. I ignored the pull of the scissors for months then stupidly gave in (after looking at gorgeous pixie cuts). What an idiot. I'm now back to growing, with huge regrets..... Will I EVER learn.... *rolls eyes*

lapushka
March 10th, 2016, 05:38 AM
I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting this thread. But this is me right now! I spent the last few years growing out a jaw length cut....I got to an awesome near waist length. Then the 'voices' started nagging me to cut. I ignored the pull of the scissors for months then stupidly gave in (after looking at gorgeous pixie cuts). What an idiot. I'm now back to growing, with huge regrets..... Will I EVER learn.... *rolls eyes*

When I get the "pull" for a short cut, I know it's time to trim a few inches. That usually solves it all. Maybe next time, keep that in mind. :flower:

SparrowWings
March 10th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Anyone else tend to have a cut grow cycle on purpose?

... cycle between APL and Classic.
Totally me. Though I prefer BSL to FTL+, which is generally a 3-5 year cycle. By the time it's grown that much, I've gotten bored of all the snarls and additional time spent on everything to do with hair, plus it's hot in the summer, and it's looking pretty ragged at the ends. So once I'm at that point and summer rolls around and I have some free time, it's time for another chop.

Yup, same here! Though I actually don't even like the APL to BSL part. Once it's BSL, it's perfect. Long enough to put up easily, short enough that it doesn't even get tangled. But if the hair dressers don't quite hit the mark, I definitely know it, whether it's too short OR too long.

I have never tracked my hair growth rate before. People tell me my hair grows fast, now I get to keep track of it and see just how fast it really grows.
This is another thing I can agree with! I'm already halfway through my cycle, but it'll still be interesting to see how it progresses from here.

alimc
March 10th, 2016, 08:39 AM
When I get the "pull" for a short cut, I know it's time to trim a few inches. That usually solves it all. Maybe next time, keep that in mind. :flower:

Absolutely! It's so frustrating to be back here AGAIN! I obviously only have a 4 year memory...
Ah well, here I am back admiring all you ladies' gorgeous locks :o

alimc
March 10th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Once it's BSL, it's perfect. Long enough to put up easily, short enough that it doesn't even get tangled..

Yup! I reckon I should have stuck at BSL for a while. Then I may not have felt the need to chop. Maybe. :rolleyes:

Ethelpea
March 10th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I have given into the itch to cut too. So.many.times. Most of the time I was pregnant or otherwise hormonal or just plain bored. Ugh. I have, on occasion, squashed the desire to chop by simply having bangs cut - it looks and feels like a new cut to me without the inevitable tears (plus, I like bangs). I have instructed my husband and older daughters that I am not to make a hair appointment - unless it is for bangs in which case I will be accompanied to the salon by an older daughter or my husband.

alimc
March 10th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I have given into the itch to cut too. So.many.times. Most of the time I was pregnant or otherwise hormonal or just plain bored.

Yes. This is the same for me. Pregnant, hormonal or bored... Ah well. Older and wiser...... :p

MlleMC
March 10th, 2016, 01:38 PM

I've been doing it all my life. Last time, I went to have my ends cut (I was around APL I think), and I ended up with a chin length cut. I've succeeded in keeping it long since though, I'm currently somewhere between tailbone and classic. It helps that every length I reach is entirely new to me. But some days I still dream of a long pixie...

alimc
March 11th, 2016, 04:13 AM
It's always good to know I'm not the only dafty when it comes to hair.... :toast:
Thanks for your support ladies. Here's to getting to waist this time...! Hopefully! ;)

Daydreamer.
March 11th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I used to go through this cycle a lot in the past. It was due to laziness and boredom.

Persiangirl01
March 11th, 2016, 11:27 PM
Hey ladies! I have a few questions for those of you who cut your hair short and it is now waist or beyond: Did your hair hit a stall stage/false terminal stage and if so how long were you stuck there? And how long did it take you to grow your hair out from the short length to the length you are now?

I have kept my hair at shoulder to APL for years and I have recently started growing it out. Thank you!

spirals
March 11th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I was like that for years...I would grow to BSL, then would decide I wanted a haircut and cut to APL. So my hair was always "long" but never got any longer. I've broken out of that cycle for good, hopefully.

This was me from college through my 30s. I'm out of the cycle now. If I have a bad hair day I just put it up. I'm not tempted to chop at all. We'll see how that goes as my fairytaling continues. It's just started at waist.

SparrowWings
March 12th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Hey ladies! I have a few questions for those of you who cut your hair short and it is now waist or beyond: Did your hair hit a stall stage/false terminal stage and if so how long were you stuck there? And how long did it take you to grow your hair out from the short length to the length you are now?

I have kept my hair at shoulder to APL for years and I have recently started growing it out. Thank you!
Most definitely. My pattern seems to be:
* Cut hair to around BSL, blunt ends
* Wait a month or so (it grows a small amount in that time, but sloooowly, noticeable only because the ends aren't quite so blunt anymore)
* Fly down to around or just above waist
* Wait several months while it grows really slowly again to HL or BCL or so (I think I'm reaching the end of this phase, right now)
* Grow a bit faster until around Classic
* Slow down again on the way to FTL, if I don't get impatient and tired of dealing with the combing first and cut it again

I've never really paid much attention to my growth rate, but I suspect it averages out to a pretty standard speed. Overall, it's about a 4 year cycle from BSL to FTL, give or take a year and a few inches. I and everyone else definitely notice that fast stretch on the way to waist, though. I swear sometimes it feels like it's grown half an inch in a week during that phase.

browneyedsusan
March 13th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I used to do this. For 4 or 5 years, I'd get a haircut to short pixie in the spring, then grow it out the rest of the year. Usually, by the next spring it was down around SL, and I'd cut it back again. I'm a wierdo attention-whore in some respects, and really liked the "shock value" from friends after my annual haircut. :)

andrea1982
March 13th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I know a couple people who grow their hair out to donate it, cut/ donate, etc.

MlleMC
March 13th, 2016, 10:30 PM

From what I can see on pictures, my hair grew pretty consistently, even though I was often under the impression that it had slowed down.

It took me 5 years to go from chin length to nearly classic (and I cut 3 or 4 inches last fall).

browneyedsusan
March 14th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I've never hit a false terminal, because I found TLHC when I started growing. I know others that have, though. DS20 says his girlfriend wants to know how I grow my hair long, she's stuck around BSL. A few girls at work are also stalled around BSL. My hair was in good shape when I started growing, and I learned how keep it nice from the forum. I make 1/2" of hair a month, and trim sometimes to keep the hemline thick.

diddiedaisy
March 14th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Hmmm, it seems a common thing to stall at bsl, I wonder why as it can't all be down to breakage can it?