PDA

View Full Version : Hair thinning?

Nenwing
May 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I've always had fine hair, but plenty of it. I have been noticing though that when I have my hair parted, in the very front I can kind of see the scalp "into" the hair, or through the hair when it is poofed up a bit. When I pull it down with my fingers though I cannot. I have been growing my hair out from a short cut (which had bangs), and can't remember if it was like this before or not. Is it normal to be able to see say an inch or so "into" the hair at the very front top (I do have a rather weak widows peak too)? I just am worried I am like balding or something. I haven't noticed any major hair loss or anything. Maybe its just cause the hair is more fine? Its light brown in color.

jera
May 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I've always had fine hair, but plenty of it. I have been noticing though that when I have my hair parted, in the very front I can kind of see the scalp "into" the hair, or through the hair when it is poofed up a bit. When I pull it down with my fingers though I cannot. I have been growing my hair out from a short cut (which had bangs), and can't remember if it was like this before or not. Is it normal to be able to see say an inch or so "into" the hair at the very front top (I do have a rather weak widows peak too)? I just am worried I am like balding or something. I haven't noticed any major hair loss or anything. Maybe its just cause the hair is more fine? Its light brown in color.

I'm not a dermatologist or anything, but it sounds like you've just got fine hair. If you were losing your hair you'd see shed hair all over the place and you say you haven't noticed any excessive hair loss. :)

FrannyG
May 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I also have fine hair and what you describe sounds normal to me. Just keep an eye on it and ensure that you don't notice it getting thinner. You might want to take a photo of what it looks like right now, for your private use and comparison. If it does get any thinner, do see a doctor. However, I think you have nothing to worry about.

mellie89
May 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Have you gone through any hormonal changes recently? When I went off birth control, the hair at my temples got REALLY thin. It's filling in now. Just a thought.

Castor oil is supposed to be good for filling in your hairline, so you could always give that a try.

Nenwing
May 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the replies! Helps me feel better. I just had a freak out moment thinking "Omgosh I'm thinning/balding!"

Thats a good idea to take a pic. Maybe its also the lighting in the bathroom?

I definately am not losing lots of hair. When I wash, maybe like 10 hairs or so I'd guess, or less.

Must be just a fine haired thing.

MsBubbles
May 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have had a couple of moments like that over the past few years, but it happens mostly when my hair is greasy (2nd day), plus in certain light those hairs are lighter than the rest so it's hard to see them, but they are there. It creates the illusion on me of showing more scalp than I really am. I have a slight widow's peak but it never gets any more pronounced. I don't have a good method for monitoring it though, other than just looking, but then it depends what mirror you're looking in to!

GRU
May 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid levels checked out, just to be safe. (Says the hypothyroid gal.)

jera
May 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Castor oil is supposed to be good for filling in your hairline, so you could always give that a try.

Castor oil is good. Emu oil is too. And an Amla or Cassia obovata treatment can add fullness to your hair as well. :)