PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye and CO washing

allnaturalboy
May 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldn't find it searching. I'm going to be dying my hair soon and was wondering if I could CO wash the dye out?
Or if I need to use shampoo?

I've never dyed my hair since I started CO washing so I have no idea if it affects it in any way.

Dream0331
May 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
The hair dye I normally use just tells you to massage a little warm water on it in the shower, then rinse it until the water runs clear, then put the conditioner on hair and wash it out after 2 minutes. Nothing about using shampoo. Btw my dye has always been the permantent type so I don`t know if semi-perm is the same way or not if that is what you are using.

Ash
May 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have never shampooed the dye out. I have always rinsed very thoroughly with water and then used conditioner. I used to use the conditioner that came in the box but now I use my regular one instead. Oh, and before using the conditioner I use a diluted vinegar rinse to help bring my hair back to the proper pH. Some of the dyes I have used come with shampoo but it is unneeded. There may be colored water for several washes after using the dye but that really depends on what type of dye it is.

dfotw
May 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I've never shampooed any of the tens of dyes of all types that I've used. Rinse very well, several times, with water, and then use the conditioner that comes with the dye (or your own, if you prefer or are on a cone-free regime).

In fact, my dye lasts longer and is shinier when I do CO than when I wash with shampoo (both the permanent and the semi-), so go for it!

:)

kristymarie87
May 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Should be fine, but dont condition the hair the day you are dying it as the conditionre acts as a barrier.

ravenreed
May 27th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I CO with my demi-permanent dye and it works well. I rarely use shampoo and the dye lasts much longer.

alabaster
May 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Co-washing should be fine. I have done it many times. If you find your scalp is still a bit stained after you co wash you could do a brown sugar scrub to help loosen the stained skin....

BelleBot
May 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM
It's advisable to wash your hair with just shampoo no conditioner before using the dye to help it stick better, but to rinse it out just conditioner is fine. I've never used shampoo to wash out hair dye, it's not needed, just lots of conditioner. :)