PDA

View Full Version : If you scrunch/plop...

Firefly
May 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
...what do you do for a next day touch-up? I've recently been doing this with good results, but I find the next day it just looks frizzy. I tried spritzing which didn't work well, and I really don't want to have to wet my hair every day. What does everyone else do?

renarok
May 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I have used this method with little success. I have had the same results as you; nice day one hair and it looks not so great on day two. I will follow this thread with interest.

rhosyn_du
May 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I rub a couple drops of camellia oil between my hands and gently rake it through the length of my hair, then lightly smooth the last bits over my canopy. If I feel like I need more clumping, I follow by scrunching with wet hands. Misting gives me surface frizz like nobody's business, but I don't run into the same trouble dampening my hair with my hands.

kristymarie87
May 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I can never get it to scrunch in the first place. It ends up feeling hard :(

Quixii
May 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
If I scrunch or plop with some gel or conditioner, then my curls usually last until at least day two. :shrug:

Sherri
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have used Kimberly's defrizz spray. I have to spritz or dampen to make it look less frizzy. Mainly just the ends.

spidermom
May 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mine doesn't last either. Day 1: down. Day 2: up or braided.

GRU
May 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Do you pineapple or plop at night, or just leave your hair loose?

julliams
May 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I find that I'm quite curly on day 1, Day 2 I'm wavy - there is a little frizz but a little oil usually helps with that, Day 3 it's almost straight and I normally have it up in a bun at that stage. Perhaps you can try to appreciate each stage for what it is. If you love curls, maybe try focusing on Day 2 hair - not trying to make it like Day 1, but rather explore the best way it can be as Day 2 hair. Hope this makes sense. Actually I like my Day 2 hair better as it seems to be a little flatter and the waves are bigger. I think my frizz halo is biggest on Day 1 now that I think about it.

Danelliia
May 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I usually don't last past day 2. My curls turn more wavy on the second day and if I need to I just comb a bit with my fingers and sometimes add a bit of oil too.

Amraann
May 26th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I get about 3 days.
BUT I do add oil to the ends or spritz with water. ( if I am going out)
Sometimes I am still getting to know my hair despite years of it!
I never knew my hair had this great wave/ curl thing going on.
I spent years treating it with chems and blow frying. I was always told by my hairdresser mother and grandmother that I had straight hair.
Go figure?
Of course it was since I dried it and combed it straight all of the time.

You do not have to soak it wet the next day. Just a spritz or a handful or two of water on the ends.
Maybe that will work for you?

inty
May 27th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I don't scrunch or plop at all... Embracing all my different textures as the days go, similar to what julliams mentioned...

day 1 looks like my avatar
day 2 looks very curly/wavy with some spirals underneath
day 3 looks less wavy
day 4 usually in a bun, I just want to give myself a break and not worry about replacing and guarding it when it's down :)
day 5 - bun
day 6 - bun or wash...

I can sometimes rake my wet/oiled hands through it but end up not liking the result anyway, and up it goes.

When I'm on the beach vacation it's a different story :) It gets unevitably wet and curly every day :)

Katze
May 27th, 2010, 03:45 AM
leave-in mixed with hair gel or mousse. :D

At the moment I am struggling with growing out my postpartum shed. I just cut about 4 inches off so I am back to BSL (but a solid BSL, not just the straggly ends!) and using 'cones, so I have mostly given up on waves.

But I find that 'twirling' my ends helps my old spiral waves come back, and mousse or gel mixed with leave-in (I use Fox's) not only helps keep the waves, but smooths down all my frizz and new growth.

(I used to want to go all natural, but am happy with my 'coned, styled hair - I feel prettier and it is helping me feel more confident)

Chamomile betty
May 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Some day's I'll re-wet my hair completely and other day's I'll re-mist.
On the day's I re-mist I'll put some olive oil on my length and put it up in a messy pony on top of my head. Re-mist and re-scrunch the next morning.

Chamomile betty
May 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
(I used to want to go all natural, but am happy with my 'coned, styled hair - I feel prettier and it is helping me feel more confident)

That's wonderful.
There is nothing wrong with using cones. My hair is easier to handle when I use some.

GlassEyes
May 27th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Wash and plop again.

I've really given up on it lasting more than a day. Some people have success dampening their hair at night and plopping overnight, and I've done it...maybe twice with good results. Too much effort, so I gave up.

LoversLullaby
May 27th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I spritz my hair with my mister (condish and water) thoroughly, add a tiny bit of gel to it, and plop for 5 minutes. Works for me!

Firefly
May 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Wow, thanks so much everyone! Your feedback is really helpful and much appreciated. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. :D I really like the idea of just going with it... having it super wavy on day 1, sorta wavy on day 2, etc etc. But I will also experiment with re-saturating vs. misting for days I want that day 1 look but don't have time for a complete wet-down. Today I misted with some gel/water and I was able to get most of the waves back but the canopy... ugh, complete frizz!

Also, I thought of a follow up question-- do you re-comb the next day? Typically I only comb in the shower when my hair is wet and heavily conditioned. I don't relish the thought of trying to get a comb through it in the scrunched-state. :brains:

GRU--I haven't tried plopping. Normally I apply gel, turn my head upside down and scrunch the ends, flip back over and scrunch along the top.

Amraann
May 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I do not brush or comb it when it is curly.
It just makes it frizz and I fear causes damage.

kristymarie87
May 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
so if i applied mousse/gel and scrunched....would that stay while it air drys, i find the waves go flat (ive only attempted it once).

Also if i use mousse or spray gel the waves feel crispy which i dont like!

I have 1b hair so it has a kink but no real curls or waves that i can work with.

Am i fighting a losing battle?

hairg33k
May 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
On the first day that I scrunch my hair it looks great - not too much frizz and pretty curly/wavy. On the second day what I usually do is get it a little damp and add some AVG to it and simply scrunch it again. The second day my hair is usually a lot frizzier but it still scrunches pretty well and looks pretty good down as a tousled/messy look :)

GRU
May 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Combing while dry will give you *F*R*I*Z*Z* or just pull out the waves entirely (or both!).

Try pineappling and/or plopping at bedtime, if you can stand going to bed with something on your head.

Naters
May 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
for me i only wash my hair once a week..so each day my hair looks a little different. The first day it is of course the curliest and fullest, by the second day i wear it in a low ponytail, and the rest of the week its in a ponytail where you can see the curls or in a loose bun. They have a lot of products out now that are are called curl reactivators. They work wonders! I spray a little bit into my hair and im good to go for the day, theres no need to re-wash my hair or get it wet again.

OperaTeacherMom
May 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Misting usually works pretty well for me, but for the most part I've discovered that sleeping on a satin pillowcase keeps me from getting too frizzy at night.

dainaleeo2
May 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I can never get it to scrunch in the first place. It ends up feeling hard :(

This is how mine ends up too!
Plopping is something that i'm new to. I mean i scrunched, so i suppose it's essentially the same thing :p

Mine always gets crunchy feeling too, since i have fine hair. usually for me on the second day is when it feels softer, since after i sleep & toss around everything seems to soften. but it doesn't look it's best either.
I use sea salt spray most times to get it back to working order. but, how do you guys actually do the plopping? sorry, just had to know haha.

zenobia
May 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM
This is how mine ends up too!
Plopping is something that i'm new to. I mean i scrunched, so i suppose it's essentially the same thing :p

Mine always gets crunchy feeling too, since i have fine hair. usually for me on the second day is when it feels softer, since after i sleep & toss around everything seems to soften. but it doesn't look it's best either.
I use sea salt spray most times to get it back to working order. but, how do you guys actually do the plopping? sorry, just had to know haha.

Scrunching and plopping are different. Scrunching is when you use your hands to scrunch up the hair and form waves or curls. Plopping is when you turn your head upside down, lay your hair on a large t-shirt or flour sack towel, wrap up the ends, and let the hair stay wrapped up that way for a while in a turban thingy. If you search YouTube for plopping and hair, you will see some tutorials. Hope that helps. :)

GRU
May 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
For those whose hair gets "hard", you can also "Scrunch Out The Crunch" (aka SOTC).

After your hair is COMPLETELY dry, you can scrunch it one more time with dry hands. This will break up the 'hardness' of your styling product, without pulling apart your curls/waves and making them frizz.