PDA

View Full Version : Hair not acting like hair (anymore)

x0h_bother
May 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I know some people have commented on this whole hair not moving or feeling like normal hair but rather a dry tangly mess of roughness, but I can't find one just for this issue.
I've tried:
poo
no poo
protein
moisture
cones
no cones
clarifying
ACV
oils-which helped a bit but the next day back to same ole

There's no breakage (yay) but hair does fall out a lot but I consider that a separate issue. Even my roots don't feel like "me" anymore- the nice oily sweaty feeling. And it's summer. It's just not the same. *pouts*
I'm thinking of just not washing my hair for a week and letting the sebum do it's job.
Advice??

julliams
May 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Go with your gut feeling. I think you have become more in tune with your hair and perhaps your perception of your hair has changed.

Before you thought about it much - shampoo cleaned it, conditioner with silicone would have made it feel smoother and you probably looked at products and what they claimed being the reason for your hair feeling one way or another.

Maybe you need a blank canvas. Perhaps leaving it for a week would be a good idea and let you take the focus off of it for a little while. Think about what makes sense to you and what you like and start with a very basic simple routine.

Night_Kitten
May 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I'd go with not washing for longer periods than usually (I only wash once a week for several years now, if I wash more frequently my hair gets dry and breaks more).

Hope you figure out what's causing this and your hair gets back to itself soon :)

kristymarie87
May 26th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I would leave it as long as possible (i have to wash everyday so 2 days would be max!) then use the clarifying technique to see the extent of damage, what the hair feels like and figure out whats wrong. That way you can come up with a new routine based on what you have learned and it might fix the problem. I'm new here but i think the technique was in an article...you may already know this so im sorry if i've wasted your time lol.

My hair feels greasy/oily at the roots and dry at the ends so i still have to do this clarifying thing myslef....im way to sunburnt to have a long shower atm!

x0h_bother
May 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Update: Yayy my hair acted like hair today!! I did a protein treatment which I hadn't done in a while, maybe 3 weeks? (But I did Keraphix conditioner last week which is protein.) Who knows if the protein treatment was it. Obviously I can't do one ALL the time, but I do have damage and so maybe the cuticles weren't lying flat or something.

KristyMarie and Night_kittenI'm also going to do both not washing my hair and keeping it up this weekend. (sorry coworkers!) I think it will really help too. :)
Julliams I will try not to worry and to leave it alone. Sort of the watched pot concept!
Thanks everyone for your imput.

Anje
May 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmm... "dry tangly mass of roughness" sounds like a description of when I've got protein buildup (solution seems to be clarifying followed by several successive days of moisture treatments) or a few days after I used something with silicones in it (I don't think my hair likes them!).

I think a protein treatment would be the last thing I'd expect to fix it. But your hair probably likes different things than mine does.

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Anje I thought so too, but I have been moisturizing the hell out of my hair for almost 2 months straight. I think my hair must be "humected" out especially now that it's the summer? It was a risk to use protein but it worked.
I found it odd that in an LHC article to test for overload (I can't find it???) my symptoms were indicative of overconditionering and not protein overload. But I thought it couldn't be because my hair felt dry.

GlassEyes
May 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I say this too often, but going off your sig...are you sure you're a 1c/2a? That looks like a 2a that's been combed down from something else.

Maybe try giving it more moisture than you have been, and leaving some in, or something?

It could also be a glycerin problem. It's summer now, but different places have different weather. If it's a dry heat where you live, glycerin will pull the moisture out of your hair leaving it feeling brittle, and if you're in a moist, damp kind of heat, glycerin can help. It's a common ingredient in many conditioners, cone and no cone.

x0h_bother
May 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I say this too often, but going off your sig...are you sure you're a 1c/2a? That looks like a 2a that's been combed down from something else.

Maybe try giving it more moisture than you have been, and leaving some in, or something?

It could also be a glycerin problem. It's summer now, but different places have different weather. If it's a dry heat where you live, glycerin will pull the moisture out of your hair leaving it feeling brittle, and if you're in a moist, damp kind of heat, glycerin can help. It's a common ingredient in many conditioners, cone and no cone.
As for my hair type, it's tricky. What you see in the sigg is my hair dried natural after being half up (2a). So ignore the straighter top in a sense because this half up style is the only way I can let my hair air dry without touching it and raking through my waves. So if I raked out the waves I would be at 1c.
I was unaware of glycerin issues. My moisture products have a lot of glycerin. I'm in the northeast USA, so I'm not sure, but I think the conditioner with the most glyerin softens my hair.

Found the article! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

If your hair seems "wadded" wirey, fragile and the ends seem transparent, and the strands themselves seem rough, you likely need protein. Try a protein pack and then moisture afterward to finish.