PDA

View Full Version : I Got Berated This Morning...

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
....for not caring about the environment. For being insensitive and selfish and a mean-spirited person.

Apparently a local hairdresser here is leading the charge for people to donate their hair to the oil-spill clean-up effort (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/whidbey/swr/news/94628529.html).

And I'm a bad, bad person because I have long hair and want to keep it.

JenniferNoel
May 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I understand where she is coming from with that, but I don't think it's right to push her opinions on others like that.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to keep your hair, it's a part of you, I wouldn't want to cut a beloved part of me off either... *sigh*
She was just being kinda mean. :(

EvaSimone
May 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Latest I'd heard BP wasn't even going to use the hair they had. So it's good you didn't believe any of the crap they tried to tell you. :D

I will try to find the article I read where they weren't going to use the hair.

SimplyViki
May 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Here's (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/24/gulf-oil-spill-cleanup-no_n_587801.html) one.

khan
May 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hummm....sounds as though self righteousness will rear it's ugly head any way it can.
I think it's great that the hair dressers are recycling hair they woulda tossed into a useful way. (I would never have thought of that.) Guess you could collect your hair from brushing or combing & donate that. If that doesn't appease others. TOO BAD.
Have these civic 'others' shaved themselves bald??

Nastasia
May 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Oy, that's ridiculous. I'm sorry that happened to you, Islandgrrl. Some people were clearly raised in a barn.

I'm all in support of donating hair to Matter of Trust, but does this person realize that you can donate the loose hair off your hairbrush, or pet hair, or tiny hair clippings? Instead of being obnoxious, she could just get people to collect and bring in their shed hair!

Bethie
May 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Latest I'd heard BP wasn't even going to use the hair they had. So it's good you didn't believe any of the crap they tried to tell you. :D

Here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127041062&ft=1&f=1025) it is.

And that was very rude of that person, I hate when people get all fired up about a cause and then complains when you don't follow what they are doing because "it is the right thing." I'm sorry that you had to listen to that.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
IF she really wants to save the environment, she should first stop using all those varied chemicals (peroxide, ammonia, PDD, sulfates, cones...)

But no. They won't because it would prevent them from earning money. This is yet another plot to get more long-haired people to visit salons. I'm not buying it really, i'm SO not buying it.

moominhapa
May 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
That's terrible! I care very deeply about the environment, but there are many ways to do a world of good without donating hair, and I think it's awful to judge someone for how they do or do not choose to help a cause. And I feel like someone who thinks that telling someone else to cut off her hair will help the environment doesn't really have a clear idea about how to best use their energy to protect the environment in the first place. I mean, really? You're going to save the earth by making other people feel bad? Come on.

What a jerk. I hope you didn't take what they said to heart. Obviously your hair is none of their business, and nothing you do or don't do with it makes you selfish or mean spirited. :blossom:

Coffeebug
May 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hmmm... a local hairdresser campaigning for people to cut their hair to help the environment... Haircuts that will no doubt need professional upkeep and styling every 6 weeks... At least we can be sure there was no self-interest involved there at all :roll:

Sarahmoon
May 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hmmm... a local hairdresser campaigning for people to cut their hair to help the environment... Haircuts that will no doubt need professional upkeep and styling every 6 weeks... At least we can be sure there was no self-interest involved there at all :roll:

Hahaha that's exactly what I was thinking! I guess the OP would considered to be even meaner if she decided to cut her hair herself and not help the local economy by letting this poor, thoughtful hairdresser do it :laugh:

Seriously now, ignore that woman. The cause of the oil spill is to blame, not you.

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Oh, guys, I gotta clarify!

It wasn't the hairdresser who said something to me!!!! It was someone I know that I ran into at the grocery store!!!

I'm sure the hairdresser is a very nice person!

Sarahmoon
May 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oooh oops! :oops: Sorry hairdresser!

ccaswick
May 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I also heard on the news this morning that BP is NOT accepting or using hair -- it's a rumor -- so keep your hair, after all YOU didn't spill oil or cause the leak.

Stephichan
May 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ugh, it really bothers me when people try to dictate how others "must" behave and how they "must" live. It's nice to believe in a cause and to bring awareness to it, but it's something else entirely when you guilt-trip, berate, and demand that others take action the same way you do.

Night_Kitten
May 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
That woman has absolutely no right to tell you something like that! If she cares so much about the issue, she can go in and shave her own head, bud she doesn't do that, does she? She wants YOU to cut YOUR hair so that SHE can feel better with herself! I say NO WAY to that!
You have beautiful hair that makes YOU happy, and by all means you should keep it :)

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
It is interesting to note that BP isn't going to use the hair....

Caldonia Sun
May 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM
IF she really wants to save the environment, she should first stop using all those varied chemicals (peroxide, ammonia, PDD, sulfates, cones...)

But no. They won't because it would prevent them from earning money. This is yet another plot to get more long-haired people to visit salons. I'm not buying it really, i'm SO not buying it.

Right said, DreamsinPink!

Jessica Trapp
May 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Oh, guys, I gotta clarify!

It wasn't the hairdresser who said something to me!!!! It was someone I know that I ran into at the grocery store!!!

Maybe you could have started picking through her shopping cart and making comments about how she should donate to the hungry, stop buying non-organic food, not buy meat, go on a fast, bring her own canvas bags, donate her car, donate blood, sell off her house, donate her jewelry, shave her head, etc... :eyebrows:

Carolyn
May 25th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Good heavens! I wonder if long haired people will ever stop getting crap for keeping their hair long :rolleyes: I doubt I would have said anything that could be posted here :gabigrin:

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe you could have started picking through her shopping cart and making comments about how she should donate to the hungry, stop buying non-organic food, not buy meat, go on a fast, bring her own canvas bags, donate her car, donate blood, sell off her house, donate her jewelry, shave her head, etc... :eyebrows:

Brilliant.

My actual not so brilliant response:

"Mmmm, interesting. It was good to see you. I have to get to work."

I'm such a doofus.

hendrix.co
May 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Pfff she can suck my big toe! I'll cut off my hair when she gives all her money to the poor.

misspriss
May 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
If I thought it would help, I could save the hair I get out of my drain catcher all the time. It would be a much larger volume of hair than I would ever let a hairdresser trim off, and I obviously don't need those hairs anymore :P

But I hear BP isn't going to use it...

spidermom
May 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Oh for heaven sake! BP makes millions in dollars in profit every day and has been trying to establish a cap on the damages they have to pay, which is the true evil, and somebody thinks they're contributing to the cleanup efforts by harrassing one individual about her hair. That's so misguided it's almost laughable.

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Pfff she can suck my big toe! I'll cut off my hair when she gives all her money to the poor.

I just spit iced tea everywere. You made me laugh! Thank you!

Islandgrrl
May 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Oh for heaven sake! BP makes millions in dollars in profit every day and has been trying to establish a cap on the damages they have to pay, which is the true evil, and somebody thinks they're contributing to the cleanup efforts by harrassing one individual about her hair. That's so misguided it's almost laughable.

You are my hero, Spidermom. :)

Arctic_Mama
May 25th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm not for demonizing BP in this, and I'm not for demonizing longhairs either. Your friends needs to mind her own business and get her facts straight, maybe emailing her one of the link about this not being the appropriate type of oil or spill pattern to use hair mats would be helpful?

Athena's Owl
May 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
....for not caring about the environment. For being insensitive and selfish and a mean-spirited person.

Apparently a local hairdresser here is leading the charge for people to donate their hair to the oil-spill clean-up effort (http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/whidbey/swr/news/94628529.html).

And I'm a bad, bad person because I have long hair and want to keep it.

this is ridiculous. They haven't even bothered to stop the pipeline leak that is spewing oil into the water yet!

jeanniet
May 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Ask her if she's decided to stop driving a car, or using products packaged in plastic, or products that aren't produced locally. That would make a real difference.

Don't let people guilt you into anything. Just say, "I do my part, and I don't try to make other people feel bad about what they do" and walk away. :mad:

jera
May 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I totally agree and further suspect that since she's a hairdresser perhaps her motives were not entirely honorable? :rolleyes: After all who makes the money and/or gets the publicity from a hair donate-athon? :p She's so transparent.

SHELIAANN1969
May 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't it be better just to donate a buck or 2 to the people who are suffering from this devastation?

I saw a commercial for KFC, it said for every bucket of chicken they will donate 50 cents to Susan B Komen for cancer, I thought to myself, *If everyone who saw that commercial simply donated 50 cents or 1$ or even $2, instead of buying the chicken, there would be a much bigger donation ratio.

Crazy, simply crazy.

I would have told the *friend* that she was freaking insane to think that I was going to attempt to bail out BP with my hair, damn dumbasses.

FrannyG
May 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I wish I could say that I can't believe that a friend would talk to you in that fashion, but I'm old enough to not only believe it, but to have experienced it enough times.

I'll never understand why others see fit to judge us, without even being properly educated on a subject.

I'm sorry that you were put in that position. It would be easy to tell you to just shrug it off, but I do know that it does sting. :grouphug:

At least if anyone else mentions this to you, you'll be able to give them the facts. :blossom:

MsBubbles
May 25th, 2010, 04:24 PM
That's one of the most preposterously inappropriate things I've heard in a long time. It's also laughable - but I'm sorry this person felt like they had to bring your morning down. Who needs that.

EdG
May 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The idea of using hair to clean up something as massive as the gulf oil spill is just silly. :silly:

I'm doing my part by not buying gasoline from BP or anyone else. At my current rate of driving, I can make a tank of gas last three months. :)
Ed