PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a trim

Jean Stuart
May 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I have been thinking about getting a trim. My ends are desperatly split anf thin. I need to let my shorter broken hairs cach up to the rest of it I think that might help. My question is should I do it gradualy 1/2 inch at a time about every 6 months or be more aggressive and cut 2 inches right off the bat? And how long do you think it will take to grow back?

jane53
May 25th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I trim my hair every 6-8 weeks and I get 1-3 inches off each time.

I'd suggest you go for 1-2 inches. It'll make it seem thicker.

But it depends on your length. 1-2 inches may make a big difference and you might prefer the gradual approach. I can get 2-3 inches off, and no one notices because of the length I'm working with.

myotislucifugus
May 25th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I played that game with myself for months... In the end, I just cut off 2.5". And you know what? I didn't even miss it. The hair I cut was so icky and damaged, I barely noticed. Your hair is probably long enough that you'd feel the same way.

That said, it's your hair, and even losing a little bit can be traumatic.

But, it is summer, (although you live in FL) so you may see faster growth... I'd say it would grow back in about 4-5 months if you cut 2 inches.

Best of luck!:cheese:

UltraBella
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
It really depends on how fast you hair grows. I get at least an inch of growth per month, so it would take me two months to grow it back, some people take much longer.
Either way, if your ends are that thin and if you have split ends, I would go for the bigger trim to make sure the damaged areas are taken care of. It will feel so much better !

Liss
May 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm struggling with the same thoughts with my hair at the moment because I always wanted health over length. But at the same time I'm so desperate to get to waist!

I made a decision from the good advice in the threads here and have chosen to do only half inch trims every three months until I reach waist, then maintain the hemline until it is really healthy again before going onto a longer goal.

JenniferNoel
May 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I personally don't believe you'll regret a 1 or 2 inch trim. It will really help your hemline, and make the growing out process much easier to look at and deal with. I did a good three inch trim several months back and it wasn't as painful as I originally thought it would be, it was really worth it.
If you don't feel comfortable with it, start slower with the half inch per six to eight week routine and see how it feels.
Good luck!

Jean Stuart
May 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
thanks Guys that is great advise and realy hepled me make up my mind.

spidermom
May 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I agree with the majority - take off the 2 inches and enjoy!

Jean Stuart
October 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
after much procatination I finally cut 4" off