PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to do this style?

Natalia
May 25th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Well if it even is a style i guess...? I am thinking about taking a ballroom class soon and its one of those "dress up" ones ya know guys in jackets girls in dresses and i was trying to think of a hairstyle that would fit. I dont want to be wearing my hair down because of damage and it would deffinatly be in the way of hold positions but having my hair all up and back looks too harsh. What i was thinking of is kind of like an upside down frensh twist, so instead of twisting up it would twist down and let the extra hair hang below it like a pony. I think it would be pretty and practical since it could be dressed up semi formal and hide a bit of my length. So anyone know how to do this? By the time i knew what a french twist was my hair was too long to do it, same with gibson though im still trying to make that one work :p. So i am pretty cluless any type of instruction would be very much appreciated as im kind of a dummy at this :o.

Thanks,
Natalia

frizzinator
May 25th, 2010, 04:31 AM
You probably know how to make a french braid and stop it at the base of your scalp; well, if you make something like a rope braid instead of a french braid, then I think you will achieve this look. The braid is just a series of over and under passes, so you are just making a twist against your scalp, held together with a pony elastic at the base of the scalp, which can be covered with a piece of the tail, or a bow, etc...

FrannyG
May 25th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Actually, with your length you could make a regular French Twist, twisting up, and then when you fold the excess twist down, don't try to tuck the very ends in, leave them hanging out the bottom. I don't know if I explained that correctly, but maybe you can picture what I'm saying. I don't think you'd need to do an upside down twist for this.

Night_Kitten
May 25th, 2010, 06:05 AM
You could put the hair in a high ponytail with a small band, then slide the band backwards away from your head for 4''-5'', and then twisting it twards the head so that the stretched hair is gathered around in layers (like in an oblong ball of thread), while the loose hair is hanging from the middle of the twist. then just pin the twist to the back of the head.

I hope my explanation makes some sense, I'm so lousy at describing things...

Natalia
May 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
You probably know how to make a french braid and stop it at the base of your scalp; well, if you make something like a rope braid instead of a french braid, then I think you will achieve this look. The braid is just a series of over and under passes, so you are just making a twist against your scalp, held together with a pony elastic at the base of the scalp, which can be covered with a piece of the tail, or a bow, etc...

Lol im actually lousy at french braids, cant do anythingmore than a three strands with my joints the way they are :(. Interesting idea about the rope braid i will give it a try but my hair is so thin i tend to end up with large patches of scalp showing :o. Worth a shot though :)

Actually, with your length you could make a regular French Twist, twisting up, and then when you fold the excess twist down, don't try to tuck the very ends in, leave them hanging out the bottom. I don't know if I explained that correctly, but maybe you can picture what I'm saying. I don't think you'd need to do an upside down twist for this.

Maybe i need to work on my twists more but when ive tried twists i can ususally see right through it since my hair is so thin. I figured if i wasnt trying to shove so much hair in there you wouldnt be able to see through it? I will head over to You Tube and see if i can get a handle on this, occasionally long hair isnt as easy as short lol. I envy people who can do gibsons in under a minute...

You could put the hair in a high ponytail with a small band, then slide the band backwards away from your head for 4''-5'', and then twisting it twards the head so that the stretched hair is gathered around in layers (like in an oblong ball of thread), while the loose hair is hanging from the middle of the twist. then just pin the twist to the back of the head.

I hope my explanation makes some sense, I'm so lousy at describing things...

Yeah im still trying to wrap my head around that..... do you mean like a topsy tail? If so im looking for something that takes up alot mor length so the end of the tail is above BSL, but topsy tails are cute :).

countryhopper
May 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
If you look at the hairstyle section of the articles at the top of the page, there are many styles with great instructions to choose from.

one I really like is the summer flower bun. I think it would use up your length, plus make your hair look more abundant.

Ramona_Fosca
May 26th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Here's two ideas to achieve this style:

Quick and easy:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4160&pictureid=62635

Sorry for the messy hair - of course you can do this more neatly, with a dressier hair toy...

Instructions to be found on the ficcare website (http://www.ficcare.com/videos.aspx) (it's the french twist, just leave out the last step - tugging in the ends -)

And then there's this one:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4160&pictureid=72955

Start as if for a french braid, i.e. gather some of your hair at the crown. Twist in one direction, say, to the right. Now add a little hair from the right side, make sure you add it under the twisted part. Take some hair from the left, this time crossing it over the twist and adding it then. Twist again, now including the bits of hair you have just added. Continue until you reach the nape. Tie with an elastic. You can add stability by addding pins of your choice horizontally into the twist.

My, it is hard explaning such things in a foreign language... It's really easy.

Sarahmoon
May 26th, 2010, 06:59 AM
The only thing I'd recommend, when you decide on a style, spin a few times very fast just to test how secure it is. You can build up quite some speed with ballroom dancing (even if you're not very advanced yet) and it's very annoying to have to stop your partner and redo your hair all the time or have hair toys flying around the ballroom ;)

Good luck and have fun.

GRU
May 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
The only thing I'd recommend, when you decide on a style, spin a few times very fast just to test how secure it is. You can build up quite some speed with ballroom dancing (even if you're not very advanced yet) and it's very annoying to have to stop your partner and redo your hair all the time or have hair toys flying around the ballroom ;)

Good luck and have fun.

Did anyone else get a mental picture of this being a scene in the next Angelina Jolie action movie?

She's being attacked by bad guys, so she goes into a huge spin and hairsticks go flying out and stab the bad guys with pinpoint accuracy!

(maybe we ought to try to sell this idea to Hollywood!)

fairytalegirl
May 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I have no ideas but I'm glad I read this thread for the last comments. I'm am giggling. he he

frizzinator
May 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think Ramona Fosca's gorgeous photos and instructions are exactly the two styles that FrannyG and I were trying to describe. Those are truly beautiful photos!

frizzinator
May 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Ramona Fosca, I'm trying to reproduce your french twist, and have some questions:

Are you using only the one stick to secure it?

If so, then are both anchor points going through the roll, or is it only anchored at the insertion point, and then is the exit point of the stick leveraged against your scalp instead of actually piercing through the tight roll underneath?

You see, if I anchor both points through the tight roll underneath, then my stick looks more vertical than yours, because the roll underneath is kind of skinny, but if I try to leverage against the scalp when exiting, then most of the time it's not really secure.

countryhopper
May 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ramona Fosca, both of those styles are easy and GORGEOUS!! :thud:

i was able to do the second one on the first try. My "tail" isn't long enough yet to make the first one as nice as yours.

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Natalia
May 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Here's two ideas to achieve this style:

Quick and easy:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4160&pictureid=62635

Sorry for the messy hair - of course you can do this more neatly, with a dressier hair toy...

Instructions to be found on the ficcare website (http://www.ficcare.com/videos.aspx) (it's the french twist, just leave out the last step - tugging in the ends -)

And then there's this one:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4160&pictureid=72955

Start as if for a french braid, i.e. gather some of your hair at the crown. Twist in one direction, say, to the right. Now add a little hair from the right side, make sure you add it under the twisted part. Take some hair from the left, this time crossing it over the twist and adding it then. Twist again, now including the bits of hair you have just added. Continue until you reach the nape. Tie with an elastic. You can add stability by addding pins of your choice horizontally into the twist.

My, it is hard explaning such things in a foreign language... It's really easy.

Yay! Yes that first one is exactly what i was thinking of and that second one os pretty too i will have to see if it takes up enough length though. Thank you so much for the instructions and pics they make it alot easier to follow :). And youve done a wonderful job of explaining :D.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh yeah im lucky none of my styles for two step, salsa, and swing havent had some casualties yet :p. I would say my spinning proficiancy is due to my early years of dance (ballet, jazz, ect...) but i was lucky even back then. Only one in my ballet class who could do eight spins without touching :D. Who knew that would come in handy 10 years later lol. Im lucky to have my dad as a dance partner we always give my hair a double-single-tripple test run (me under, me over, both over, me tripple spin). before leaving the house.

Did anyone else get a mental picture of this being a scene in the next Angelina Jolie action movie?

She's being attacked by bad guys, so she goes into a huge spin and hairsticks go flying out and stab the bad guys with pinpoint accuracy!

(maybe we ought to try to sell this idea to Hollywood!)

Hahahahaha not much of a Jolie fan but i can see that :) make some bank on it while ya can!

Ramona_Fosca
May 28th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Are you using only the one stick to secure it?

Yes!

If so, then are both anchor points going through the roll, or is it only anchored at the insertion point,

The latter.

I grab a little hair from the roll, turn the stick 180 degree, than scrap along the scalp, underneath the roll.

You see, if I anchor both points through the tight roll underneath, then my stick looks more vertical than yours, because the roll underneath is kind of skinny, but if I try to leverage against the scalp when exiting, then most of the time it's not really secure.

I hear you! Maybe you could try a bolder hairstick? It is not by accident that I used the Timberstone Turning stick for this...

Good luck:)

frizzinator
May 28th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Thank You Ramona Fosca! That is extremely useful information!

frizzinator
May 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I've been practicing that french twist with a tail. I have a couple of thick sticks, but they are not working. I think it's because their diameters change (the sides are not straight). But I also tried a thin stick with straight sides, and when it works, the leverage is too uncomfortable against the scalp, however, two thin Ketylos placed parallel to each other works very well. I've been enabled ....I need one of those fat Timberstone Turning sticks!

I'm wearing this style today and securing it with a french twist comb which is working very well. I'm happy about this because for about a year, when the tail is tucked into my french twist, the french twist comb has not been holding.

IndigoAsh
May 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to mention about the Gibson right quick since you mentioned that. I have hip length hair and it's one of my favorite styles! I have photos in my profile. I have pretty thick coarse hair though, but I think it could be achieved the same with thinner/finer hair. Basically I start it upside down and twist about half way up the length and let it coil on the top of my head as I stand upright. It helps it keep a poof around the sides. I don't ever hairspray it, but you could use like a mousse or something if you needed to help with volume. I also would discourage hair straightening with this style if you do so.

I pin it twice on the top underside of the bun(which I keep somewhat loose so it's a perfect circle) and I pin it once on each side and on the bottom once. I use the huge pins from Sally's, though I'm sure you can find those at most any hairdressing shop. I have a lot of hair so those pins are necessary to counter the weight and then I finish it off with a hair fork for extra security/prettyness. I hope you find something!

Natalia
May 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I just wanted to mention about the Gibson right quick since you mentioned that. I have hip length hair and it's one of my favorite styles! I have photos in my profile. I have pretty thick coarse hair though, but I think it could be achieved the same with thinner/finer hair. Basically I start it upside down and twist about half way up the length and let it coil on the top of my head as I stand upright. It helps it keep a poof around the sides. I don't ever hairspray it, but you could use like a mousse or something if you needed to help with volume. I also would discourage hair straightening with this style if you do so.

I pin it twice on the top underside of the bun(which I keep somewhat loose so it's a perfect circle) and I pin it once on each side and on the bottom once. I use the huge pins from Sally's, though I'm sure you can find those at most any hairdressing shop. I have a lot of hair so those pins are necessary to counter the weight and then I finish it off with a hair fork for extra security/prettyness. I hope you find something!

Hey IndigoAsh :). I think we are speaking of different gibsons ;) i was talking about the tuck that goes at the nape of your neck. The pics of your gibson are great though! Nice and casual not too tight but not what i was thinking of.

countryhopper
May 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Well, I just have to report that the second picture ( french twist with a pony tail) is now my new favorite style!! I love it!! Does it have a name? Because, if it doesn't, I'd lik to name it the french twist ponytail. How does that sound? :D

I can't think of a good name for the first one, though. Or maybe it already has a name! If so, what is it called? We can't keep calling them picture #1 and picture #2! :D

frizzinator
May 29th, 2010, 06:44 AM
The other one is called a Back Twist.