PDA

View Full Version : Textbook Script Hair Compliment Scenario

Saldana
May 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Wow....today I got a stereotypical hair compliment! By stereotypical, I mean that all three of the standard statements I've seen posted by others were said....read on.....

Me: (standing in the restroom at work, combing my hair, getting ready to put it back up)

Her: (50-something, bleached blonde hair, longish pixie-type cut. She eyes me surreptiously in the mirror as I comb)

Her: Wow. Your hair is really long.

Me:...........yes.....yes it is.

*pause*

Her: (softly and a bit selfconsciously)..it's really pretty.

Me: Thank you! *smile*

*pause* (she messes with her hair some)

Her: .......you know, I never could get my hair to grow any longer than midback. It just never would. But I really love long hair. But I guess I'm too old now, it won't grow long.

Me: (refraining from launching into an LHC tutorial).....

Her: but I really like it.

She gets really selfconscious, mumbles something about Friday, and leaves the restroom. I finish tying up my hair, and leave the restroom with a bemused smile on my face.

DaveDecker
May 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Change

"Me: (refraining from launching into an LHC tutorial)....."

to

"Me: You can do it! No time like the present to start..."

And see where the conversation goes from there. :)

buttons
May 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I agree with DaveDecker, you should've given her the "you're never too old/young/fat/skinny/short/tall" talk. Maybe, since she's a coworker, you could bring up the talk with her again? If she really loves long hair and doesn't understand that she isn't too old, that is.

Congrats on the compliment!

SarieQ
May 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Congrats on the compliment. Ya, I'd of gone into the whole "you're never too old" speach too. It's sad that people believe that.

Phalaenopsis
May 10th, 2008, 03:45 AM
That was so sweet of her, and I'm also feeling a bit sad for her. She could do it if she wanted too. Maybe give her a LHC referral?

Saldana
May 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I seldom cross paths with that particular co-worker (I don't even actually know her name), but if it comes up again, I'll consider giving her some gentle encouragement, and see if it opens the door for a conversation....:)