PDA

View Full Version : vatika almond oil

lastnite
May 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Has anyone tried the Vatika almond oil (http://www.dabur.com/Products-Personal%20Care-Vatika%20Almond%20Hair%20Oil)? I've been searching for the ingredients list but haven't had any luck finding it...does anyone know if it contains mineral oil? It looks like it would be a good to add with the coconut oil.

sarahbrownie
May 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I've just recently started to research some Indian hair products and Ayurvedic hair treatments. I was really interested about almond oil because I heard that it's good for dry hair. I know Vatika has a great following for their coconut oil, however, Vatika has reformulated their oils and "enriched" it with questionable ingredients. :( Most of their oils now contain Vegetable Oil and Paraffinum Liquidium, which is Mineral Oil, and is listed as the first two ingredients. Scary thing was I found that for this product, almond oil was 5th on the list! I opted out and ended up buy the coconut oil in the original formula instead.

Some people have problems with that Mineral Oil is a petroleum-based product, it coats the hair and doesn't allow for absorption. The belief is that it feels soft for a while, but as the coat wears off, they have to use more and buy more bottles. While some people love it and don't mind paraffins at all. You just might have a problem washing it out. :D

lastnite
May 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
oh no, really? I hope they didn't change the coconut oil one, it's been my favorite. I haven't seen the one in the new bottle, but I just figured it was updated packaging.

sarahbrownie
May 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
There are two versions for the coconut, the Enriched Coconut Oil in the dark green bottle that's a bit more modern looking, and the original formula without the Mineral and Vegetable Oil which is in the little bottle with a dome cap. I don't know if they discontinued the original version, but it's still available online and at some specialty stores.

ChloeDharma
May 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The ingredients for this oil are....

Ingredients: Paraffinum Liquidum, Canola Oil, Palm Oil, Olea Eurpoaea (Olive) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Til) Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Parfum, Vitamin E Acetate, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary )Oil, Tert Butyl Hydro Quinone, CI 12010, CI 12740.

If you want the benefits of sweet almond oil i'd just get the pure stuff and use that, it's really cheap. Also note the almond oil in the vatika comes AFTER a cone!