PDA

View Full Version : Umm...shiny scalp?

Dreams_in_Pink
May 24th, 2010, 12:22 PM
...My scalp only shines when i care for it.

And now i did a google search and saw how shiny scalp is actually a condition in which you lose hair!

My happiness immediately turned into sadness upon reading that :( Today all i did was scrubbing my scalp with a conditioner & sugar mix and then using diluted shampoo to rinse it all out! It's been shiny before, right after scalp oilings, which are supposed to be good for scalp.

I'm not shedding more than usual, what's going on??

SimplyViki
May 24th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I've never heard of that. Are you sure the sites you saw weren't talking about how a balding guy's scalp tends to look shiny? I don't think there's anything wrong with your scalp.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Search "shiny scalp" on google and you'll see what i mean :S On second page, though, i saw a link to a thread in LHC archives about rosemary rinse making scalp look shiny AND healthy :D Still, that's the only positive word about shiny scalps...But i'm feeling much better now thanks to archives :D

SimplyViki
May 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I did that, and looking at the majority of the links, they seem to be talking about what I said - balding guys' scalps, and the tendency of the scalp to look shiny when there's no hair on it. :shrug: I don't think there's a disorder called "shiny scalp".

hmmm
May 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Haha, that's so crazy. My scalp is always shiny when it's clean and not upset in any way (it does get upset quite a lot). I never notice more shedding when it's like that.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
phew! :D thanks both of you!

teela1978
May 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I have noticed that some balding men do have unnaturally shiny scalps. And I suppose that there could be a 'shiny scalp syndrome'... but I have a feeling its very different from just a shiny happy scalp. Unless your scalp is so shiny that it makes you hair look dull you're probably doing okay :)

Gypsy
May 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM
How are you seeing your scalp?
How is it getting enough light to reflect enough to see it shine?:confused:

Dreams_in_Pink
May 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
How are you seeing your scalp?
How is it getting enough light to reflect enough to see it shine?:confused:

I see my scalp through my parting :) I part my hair at random places to be able to see the scalp there.

And yeah, when i part, scalp is revealed so it receives light :D

Gypsy
May 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I see my scalp through my parting :) I part my hair at random places to be able to see the scalp there.

And yeah, when i part, scalp is revealed so it receives light :D

Ah.
Well, at least if it's shiny, that means it's nice and smooth- mine is very dry and also flakes a lot so it sure won't shine unless I put a LOT of oil on it! (which I do if I'm wearing a style with the part in a prominent spot, like the center or off center)

SimplyViki
May 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I think if your scalp is not giving you unpleasant symptoms, it's pretty safe to say it's healthy. :) Things I'd want to take care of (not necessarily that any of them will make you lose your hair or anything, though, OK? :p) would be things like itching, pimples/bumps on the scalp, flaking, redness, etc. If your scalp is smooth and shiny I'd say it's healthy and happy.

McFearless
May 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure google was reffering to a symptom of a certain illness/condition. I doubt it has anything to do with your shiny scalp haha. Don't worry:)

Domino
May 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Actually I've discussed something similar with my friends a few days ago. I was saying how my nose is always shinier after washing my face, not because of oil or anything bad but because it's just the way it is. I was with a group of friends, 6 ladies to be exact and they all said that they noticed the same thing. Same goes for our scalps and lower legs :D After some research I learned that the skin can be naturally shiny and sebum alone can make it look more matte. That's the case with my nose :pumpkin: HTH!

beez1717
May 25th, 2010, 01:45 AM
If your scalp is shiny and it's clean and your hair isn't falling out then you must be doing something right. But if your scalp isn't shiny and yet it is clean and your hair isn't falling out then you must still be doing something right, right?

LOL

Dars
May 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I think you're fine. But I do want to say hairless, shiny skin on lower limbs is not a healthy sign (poor blood supply).