PDA

View Full Version : Hubby wants to cut his hair

Joette
May 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
He just told me yesterday that he wants to cut it back to shoulder length from mid-back. Boo, hiss! And to make matter worse, he then threatened to cut his lovely beard back to a matching length. Do you all think I should subject him to the 2 week rule? I'm the one that would be wielding the scissors, so I have the powah!

spidermom
May 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
It could be worse. My DH recently cut his hair to about 1/4-1/2 inch. I hate it so much!

Guys will usually do what they wanna do; can't fight it.

XcaliburGirl
May 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I loved my husband's goatee, but he decided it was easier to be clean-shaven than to have to trim and shave. I begged and pleaded, just a little, but it's his face. I don't mind the new look; I just preferred the old.

You may want to suggest the 2-week rule, but I know with me, I generally will mull over that sort of change for a while before I even mention it to my husband. Depends on whether you think he's the type to cut on a whim and regret it.

rockstarmommy
May 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
wertyuiosdfghjk

Tap Dancer
May 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Do you all think I should subject him to the 2 week rule? I'm the one that would be wielding the scissors, so I have the powah!
No. I don't think it will go over well for you to tell him he has to wait if he wants his hair cut.

GoddesJourney
May 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mine just shaved his from flip length. My solution? I took pictures on a good hair day and put them on my computer. He had been talking about it for awhile and that's just the way it is. To be fair, he has to shave it off in a few months for the Army anyway. It's summer now and he's running a lot, so he doesn't like it in his eyes. He's still very attractive, but I will miss his hair. I made him promise me awhile ago that he will grow it back out to shoulder length whenever he gets out, just because I like it. He agreed. I don't know if he'll keep that promise, but at least I still have pictures.

Juneii
May 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Well I wouldn't like it very much if DBF tried to talk me into cutting my hair short so I figure it's the same as you trying to talk your DH into keeping his hair long? It's his own hair no matter your own preference :) plus I think men tend to mope less about a bad haircut then women

Loreley
May 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well, it's his hair... At least he doesn't want to cut it to very short.

CaliforniaAnne
May 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
It is his choice, but I know I'd be pretty sad if my guy cut his lovely curly hair or his very nice, Shakespearean goatee....

FrannyG
May 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Oh Joette, I feel your pain. Yet just as we here at LHC don't succumb to outside pressure, we ought not to put pressure on anyone to keep their hair short or long.

I do think it's a good idea to ask him if he's given it enough thought, and you could suggest the 2-week rule, but ultimately, his hair, his decision.

Oskimosa
May 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM
It's a fine line. We do all sorts of things for the benefits of our spouses that we might not do if it weren't for their opinions on the matter; from daily food choices to big matters like children. For example, I went red because my husband liked that color best on me. I love it, but could do any other color too. I have a natural desire to knock his socks off if I don't have a strong preference against whatever he likes. He doesn't tell me how to dress, but you can bet I wear things he compliments me on more often :)

That's so harmless; what is wrong with letting your spouse know if you find something attractive?? Honestly sometimes we can go overboard on the whole "I'm not here to decorate your world" thing.

Let him know how you feel and how attracted you are to his hair the way it is. He might change his mind. If he really hates it, of course you'll "let" him change it. Same way with my hubby. I'd love him to let it grow down to mid-back, but he wants to cut it from APL to chin since he's graduated and is job hunting. I know he hates it long. He hears from me all the time how gorgeous his hair is, and he knows I'll not "STOP" him from cutting it. It's all about communication. Nothing wrong with that at all. Let him know how you feel!

Joette
May 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for commiserating and offering advice everyone. Of course I won't prevent him from cutting it if that's his Final Answer (tm). I'll be sad, but he's the one who has to deal with his hair, no matter what the length, and has to be happy with how it looks. I'm pretty shocked that he wants to trim the beard back too, though. He's got a lovely mid-chest length natural beard that could win contests if he entered them. I guess I'll have to take pictures for my desktop. And maybe cut his hair with my eyes closed. :)

Jessica Trapp
May 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
My first thought was "well... it's *his* hair..." but then if I'm reeeeeeeeeeally reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally honest, I know that I would freak out if my husband wanted to shave off his mustache. It's mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

Go hide the scissors. :D

jes

ETA Years ago my husband cut his hair really short. I was sad about it, but liked his new look. I guess after 20something years I'm okay with it. :)

Katurday
May 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'd do the female guilt trip and tell him how much I adore his hair the way it is....and how if he cut it, I'd cry...

But I'm evil like that. :stirpot:
If his hair doesn't put him in pain, danger or other stuff, I don't see the big deal in letting it please you. If it gets in his way, there are a ton of manly hairstyles to stop that (one being the sexy pony).

Fiferstone
May 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I completely second the idea of taking some good pictures on a good hair day before the big chop. That way you get to keep images of what it looked like, and he gets to do what he wants with his hair. My DH has "bsl" (bottom of shoulderblade-length), salt and pepper, wavy fairytale-ends hair. He keeps it long because he doesn't want to wear wigs reenacting, and the long hair looks good on him.

The only thing he now misses about not having his beard/moustache is that he didn't have to shave.every.day when he had the facial hair. He now keeps his face clean-shaven again for the reenacting (no moustaches/beards on british soldiers in the 18th century). The itchy Yassir Arafat stage when you're growing out the facial hair can be really annoying, or so I'm told.

pinkbunny
May 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I cried when I had to cut my DH's hair. Not that it was super-long, but he was so sure he was going to get a job he applied for, he had me cut it to above-collar before even getting an interview! I pulled it all into a little ponytail and saved it. I still have it. He didn't get the job, either.

Another time he just got aggravated with being hot & sweaty so he buzzed himself (didn't warn me, either!). I was so upset and VERY turned off for the longest time. I don't think he'll go that extreme again... Thankfully, he's back to his scruffy shaggy old self - for now. lol