PDA

View Full Version : SLS or SLS free?

Lemur_Catta
May 24th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I have been using two kind of shampoo in the last month: Herbal Essences something, the one in the pink bottle for colored hair, with SLS and cones (but not a lot of cones, I think) and baby shampoo, SLS free.

HE makes my hair feel squeaky clean, which I know is not a good thing, but it also makes my hair CLEAN for 2-3 days, so I can wash on Friday and have good hair on Monday. It also makes my growing "bangs" a bit frizzy, and my scalp hair seems less shiny.

Baby shampoo, on the other hand, makes my hair clean (in a good way, not squeaky clean) and shiny...for 1 day. That means that, if I wash on Friday, I have horrible hair on Monday, I mean, it's so greasy that updos can't really cover it.
I wash my hair often anyway, because of exercise, but SLS free (or low-SLS, I have tried both) is not really helping me. Maybe it will be useful in the summer when I wash my hair everyday.
I have tried SLS-free for months at a time, so it's not a transition period, it's just that my scalp is greasy, my skin is very oily too, I just have to live with it :P
Better nutrition seems to help my facial skin (less oily) but not my scalp.
I also use a coney leave in and sometimes a coney conditioner, because my ends are really damaged and I need to protect them...

My question is, is SLS shampoo so damaging, if I only use it on my scalp, when the length is covered in conditioner? Hair grows, so the same sections of hair are subjected to shampoo only for some months, then they grow and it is their turn to be conditioned only. I use shampoo occasionally on my length, to remove buildup from cones.
Is SLS-free shampoo worth the unclean hair feeling?

pinklemonade
May 24th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I know exactly what you mean Lemur_Catta, I was going to in fact make a thread about this. I have tried going non-sls for about....five months (I kept thinking, my hair will get used to it..) but my hair looked dirty all the time! So what I did was alternate between sls and non-sls but now I've stopped using non-sls completely; I really don't like how sticky my hair looks- I might as well not wash it! I guess everyone's hair reacts differently but I need a good sls shampoo to make my oily hair clean.
So basically what I do is leave conditioner on my ends, and just shampoo the top, like you said, I don't think this is damaging at all. I dilute my shampoo too, it seems less abrasive, you could try that too.

Charlotte:)
May 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think that SLS shampoo is fine if you only use it a few times a week. Having to wash your hair more often with non-SLS shampoo seems more damaging than the occasional use of an SLS shampoo.

BelleBot
May 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
If you find SLS free stuff doesn't work for you, then stick with using SLS products. The reason people don't use them is because they find their scalp and hair is much better without, but if that's not the case with you, then carry on using them. If you're worried about damage then coat your length in conditioner first, then just shampoo your scalp.

There's a lot of negativity towards SLS on here and quite a bit is hype I think. I very rarely use SLS as I use conditioner only to wash my hair, but to clarify or if it gets horribly dirty I'll use SLS shampoos. In moderation I see no problem with them.
:)

anniemae
May 26th, 2010, 05:10 PM
My question is, is SLS shampoo so damaging, if I only use it on my scalp, when the length is covered in conditioner? Hair grows, so the same sections of hair are subjected to shampoo only for some months, then they grow and it is their turn to be conditioned only. I use shampoo occasionally on my length, to remove buildup from cones.
Is SLS-free shampoo worth the unclean hair feeling?

I think what you're saying makes sense. I agree with the other posters, and also I think you can alternate shampoos if you want during the week.

Also, here is a list of some milder surfactants (less drying than regular sulfates):

Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Coco Betaine
Cocoamphoacetate
Cocoamphodipropionate
Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate or Cocoamphodipropionate
Lauroamphoacetate
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
Here is a good article to read about sulfates and silicones:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/product%20ingredients.htm

Longlocks3
May 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
My problem with SLS/ALS is that it actually hurt my scalp. I had horrible allergic reactions. Now, not everyone has this problem so I say if it works for you; go for it.

Foxknot
May 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
If your hair isn't liking SLS-free shampoos, then stick with the SLS. ^^ I, myself, can't use any SLS because my scalp gets itchy and kinda inflamed. When that started happening, I had the same problem as you...my transition over to my current herbal shampoos left my hair kinda greasy(I still have some problems with oil on my hairline, too). >>

But, I've found that castile soap(specifically Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap. ♥) actually really helps me with the oils on my scalp. I don't know if it is something that would work for you, but it's an option. ^^

GRU
May 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
One thing to keep in mind -- cones require SLS to remove them. That's why so many CO-wash folks don't use conditioners or styling products with cones. If you're not using something to wash away the cones, they will build up on your hair, so you *need* to use SLS to prevent buildup.

teela1978
May 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
If the SLS shampoo works best for you, use it. I use ALS every other day... sometimes less, sometimes more. There's nothing wrong with using sulfates, unless you're one of the few people who have allergic reactions (flaking scalp, excessive shedding and such).

I don't find that it damages my hair, the opposite actually as a lot more extra manipulation is often required for other washing methods which can lead to mechanical damage. Other people find the opposite. It sounds like SLS is fine on your hair.

Lykaios
May 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I just got rid of my SLS shampoo and got an Earth Elementals (http://www.puralternatives.ca/proddetail.asp?prod=EE022) shampoo bar (which is made locally). I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! My hair is noticably more shiny (even the DB noticed!!) and smooth. This is a keeper for sure, and I love the smell.