PDA

View Full Version : I "hate" my hair when it's been washed

LithiaBlack
May 24th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I think I might need to add something to my haircare routine or change it to make my hair easier to style after it's washed.
This is my current routine:

I wash and CO once a week with a swedish shampoo and CO called "Änglamark Sensibel". They are made to fit sensitive scalps and hair and contains no silicones or perfume. The shampoo do contain a bit of SLS but I need it to keep my hair clean (hard water problems).
I CO my lengths before I wash my scalp and when it's all rinsed out I CO again from ears down. If I only wash and CO the traditional way my lengths get's to dry.

Before every wash I oil my scalp and then use a BB brush to spread it thorugh my lenghts.
The oil contains ecologic sesame oil 65 %, amla extract 15 %, ecologic almond oil 15 %, shikakai extract 5 %.

I once a month I first henna my roots over night and then do a full head application of katam (also left over night). After coloring I use a deep treatment, Garnier Respons with pearl and cherry blossom (this one is also without silicones).

The reason to my "hate" is that my hair is impossible to style the day after the washing. It feels insanely smooth and slippery and too soft somehow. (Wich should be impossible since I have close to Coarse iii 1B hair). To put it in an updo without out securing it with an elastic is impossible. It's OK in the winter then I just wear it in a 3 strand braid down the back but now during the warm months I really need to keep it in updos because I get very warm and sweaty at the back of my neck otherwise.

I use snag free elastics and sticks but I'm a bit worried of the elastics being bad for my hair?

/L

GoddesJourney
May 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Hmmm. It's an interesting thing that we use the word "coarse" to refer to thick individual strands. Some thick hair is quite coarse, with the connotation of also being somehow hard or rough. However, some people have very thick individual strands that are also smooth and flexible. It sounds like your hair regime and overall hair texture (relatively straight) would likely give you the second one. I understand what you mean. The hair from some areas on my head is exactly like yours. I find it too slippery to make stay in any updo and I don't use any cones either. So it's healthy, and that's okay.

Here's what I would suggest. Make silk scrunchies. I made some mini scrunchies out of some silk I had laying around. It may sound like scrunchies, silk, and smooth hair is just a recipe for disaster. However, mini scrunchies hold better than the big ones, and when you make them yourself, you can use really strong elastic and make it the right size for your circumference. Also, they will be guaranteed not to break, because you reinforced them yourself. The silk is just there to not be damaging. It doesn't matter if it's slippery because the elastic will be very tight. Yes, I find that regular hair elastics are damaging. It's not that they snag, they just are rough/abrasive. That's why I made my own. I love them a lot.

Night_Kitten
May 24th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Maybe you can do a braided bun on the first day? That way the hair is in a braid and held better than just in a bun... And they look really nice too :)

lemonmelon
May 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
What about claw clips? Gentler then elastics!

LithiaBlack
May 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Great suggestions every one :)

lemonmelon >>
What's a claw clip?

/L

spidermom
May 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Maybe finger a little gel through it to give extra "grab". I like to use gel after washing because it defines my curls instead of each individual hair curling off in its own direction, giving me lots and lots of "frizz".

Tressie
May 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I second what Night Kitten said! My hair stays in an updo better when I braid it and then do a bun, whether I use sticks or a ficcare. I do use an elastic (no metal) for a pony first, and I suppose it does a certain amount of damage, but I have to have it for a semi-secure do!

It sounds like you have a very healthy routine and lovely hair! Congratulations! (o:

lemonmelon
May 24th, 2010, 09:12 AM
These thingies:
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/lemonmelon/clawclip.jpg

Also called butterfly clips!

LithiaBlack
May 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
spidermom>>
*goes though stash of beauty supplies*
I have a jar of LUSH's styling gel King of the mods (http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/cheveux/gels-coiffants/le-roi-des-hedos).
Quantitative Ingredients

Water (Aqua),
Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis),
PVP,
Grapefruit Oil (Citrus grandis),
Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Crosspolymer,
Propylene Glycol,
Lime (Citrus Aurantifolia),
Camella Oil (Camella japonita),
Glycerine,
*Citral,
*Geraniol,
*Limonene,
*Linalool,
Perfume,
Methylparaben.Is anything in there bad for the hair?

/L