PDA

View Full Version : S & D Questionnaire

Oskimosa
May 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen a thread like this, but since S&D is only three words, it doesn't come up with searches, so I apologize if this has been done already :o

I have some questions about S&Ding since I'm a total newbie to it, and there are too many to poll. I thought it'd be fun to see all the responses :) So, here we go:

1. How often do you S&D?

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis?

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less?

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage?

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers?

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair?

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles?

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding?

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore?

10. What kind of scissors do you use?

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I don't want to overdo it :) Thanks to anyone who responds, I look forward to reading your answers! :D

Cleopatra18
May 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
1. How often do you S&D?probably once aweek after washing,but might do it more on a random basis.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis?umm it might be like 2-3 hours per session,which will be around 12 hours per month (wow..)

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less?kind of,but not a drastic improvement :S

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage?80% of the splits are atleast 5 inches long..:(:( it makes me feel horrible

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers?i trim off everything thats not normal,except tapers which i remove part of it but not all.There's really no point in keeping any damage.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair?enhancing and to reduce brekage,since my splits are pretty "deep",and i still need the trim no matter what i do.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles?maybe but i never thought about it.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding?no but im pretty sure my see through ends are the result of frequent S&D.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore?lol yeah im at this point now:Di just dont have that kind of time to spare anymore,and i cant find my scissors so it's my excuse for the time being:p

10. What kind of scissors do you use? ehm hair scissors(do they have a special name?xD)

Jessica Trapp
May 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
1. How often do you S&D? I don't have a specific time. Mostly I just fit it in here and there.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? I don't know.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Yes, it has. My hair is lot healthier now than it was in my pre-LHC days

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Half to one inch or so. More if needed.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I prune out all damage.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? both.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? yes. I know I need to s&d with my ends get velcro-like

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? no. I think s&ding is one of the things that has allowed my hair to get longer. (It used to break off.)

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? In the beginning I occasionally did because it seemed like as soon as I did it that a new crop of splits would spring up overnight. I enjoy doing it though. This may sound weird, but I find it relaxing and somewhat meditative--an act of self care. I take scissors on long car trips and snip splits as we travel (my husband drives) or I'll snip them in the backyard or while I'm sitting at the computer. I have several pair of scissors and keep them by my desk, in the car and in the bathroom.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I got them at Sally's. They are sharp and high quality about 5 inches I think. I can't remember the brand. I don't do anything with them but snip hair.

Hope this helps. :flower:
jes

IcarusBride
May 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
When I first started, I did it every few days. Now I only do it once every other week, or when I notice a split in the mean time.

About 20 minutes every other week. I S&D right before applying cassia, which I do bi-weekly.

YES absolutely, especially after starting the cassia/catnip regimen.

My splits are all nearly microscopic at the very ends of the shaft. I trim about 1/2cm total.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers?
Splits and White Dots only.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair?
Both! I still need to trim, but a lot less than before S&D! Previously, I've spend my whole life growing from BSL to waist and then having to chop back to BSL to get rid of really damaged ends. Now I'm creaping up on waist again and my hair's in much better condition! I think I'll be able to do (2) 1/2inch trims this summer and still be solidly waist-length at the end!

I never had a very big problem with tangles, my hair is very thin/fine.

No, I don't feel I have. My ends are all at different lengths, the last few inches of my braid have a lot of poke-outs (what do you call this?) but I've definitely saved length compared to what I'd have to do if I didn't S&D.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore?
I only do it now to keep 'on top' of things, but I don't feel I really have many splits any more!

This may shock some people, but I use a pair I got at the dollar store. They are very sharp and have never been used for anything other than S&D. I replace them every few months.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've only been S & Ding about a month or so, just FYI.

1. How often do you S&D?
Just about daily when I first started because there were quite a few splits. I still check daily or so, but there isn't much to D.

The first month, I'd say a few hours. So far this month, a lot of looking but not much snipping.

Absolutely. *Huge* difference in the number of splits between when I started and now.

1/8-1/4"

I do splits, serious bends (where there's obvious damage at the vertex of the bend), white dots, but not tapers unless the damage is plain to see.
I do it mostly to enhance condition, but also to avoid trimming.

Yes, definitely. Some of this is probably also attributable to changes such as a sleep cap, gentler handling, etc. I had a serious tangling/split/roughness problem with the hair in back, and while it's not entirely gone, it's about 90% improved.

No, at least not that I can tell.

Not yet, but I'm just about at the point where I'll probably just do a quick check once a week or so.

Gingher embroidery scissors. Small and sharp!

Jenn of Pence
May 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
1. How often do you S&D? I keep the scissors in my purse, so if I see one I can get to it right then. Otherwise, I "graze" for a few minutes a couple of times a week.

I've only been doing it regularly for about 6 weeks, so just an estimate, maybe 3-4 hours total?

Since I haven't been doing it that long, I'm not sure can can answer just yet, but I imagine it probably will.

No more than 1/2 inch usually.

I D splits and white dots. Some bends and tapers at my discretion, just depends.

Six weeks isn't quite long enough to determine that yet, but I'm very hopeful that it will save length; I guess that's my reason for giving it a try :)

Haven't noticed yet; my hair doesn't tangle too badly anyway.

Not as yet.

Not yet; only been doing it six weeks so I'll need some more time to determine.

I think the brand is "Lacrosse," they are about 3 inch trimming shears.

ravenreed
May 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
1. How often do you S&D?

About twice a month, or if I notice a lot of split ends or bent hairs, more often.

Probably 2 hours maximum these days. But I also trim any splits that I notice while I am doing other things.

Absolutely. I have far fewer splits than I did before I started my S&D's.

If I catch them early enough, no more than half an inch. If they have traveled up the hair shaft, obviously I have to cut more.

Anything that might cause a tangle later goes. I would rather sacrifice one bent hair or white dot than to trim ten later because of a snarl that damages more hairs. My hair is tangle prone so I am pretty aggressive about it.

Yes.It used to be that I trimmed because of terrible splits, now I just to it to keep my layers looking nice.

Yep.

I think I gained length because of it.

Not yet. If I ever go short again, or suddenly change hair textures to one that does not split, then I will give it up.

I bought some hair cutting scissors at Sally's beauty supply. I have been known to use my extremely sharp sewing scissors from time to time.
[/quote]

sibiryachka
May 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
1. How often do you S&D? 2-3 times a week

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? 15 minutes to an hour

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Yes, thus the sessions are getting longer!

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? About 1/2 inch

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Tapers I leave alone unless they're very severe; everything else comes off.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I started it to enhance overall condition, then decided to use it to avoid trimming. It's working so far!

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Definitely yes.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? I haven't lost any existing length to it, but I think it is one of the reasons I"m not really gaining length yet.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? I'm nowhere near that milestone!

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I have one pair of Scunci hair scissors and one pair of Westcott embroidery scissors.

eyesofsummer
May 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
It varies. At least once per week. I keep my scissors on my bedside table to remind me.

Again, it varies a lot. Sometimes I'll S&D for an hour each day, sometimes I won't do anything. I'd say around 4 hours per month as an average.

I've noticed that I find less splits when my hair is more moisturized, and since joining LHC it has gotten way more moisture. I've noticed that I see more splits when I've gone without washing my hair for a while (weird, huh?)

A couple of millimeters.

I also cut white dots and knots. Tapers and bends aren't as noticeable on curly hair, I think, so I don't cut those most of the time.

I just do it to help the condition.

I'd like to think so, but fewer tangles can also be due to all sorts of LHC-inspired revisions to my hair care.

Probably, but as a curly I can't really tell my length anyway.

No. I think it's kind of fun :o

Standard hair scissors that I bought at CVS.

rach
May 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
Probably every two months. Sometimes i need it more or less depending on the condition or if i rushed it:justy:

over an hour to do it well but how often depends on if it truly needs it.

i do it more i think when the seasonal conditions change.

couple miller meters

they all get destroyed and evan the kinks tangle up

both

instantly after it makes such a big deference which makes it really worthwhile

still able to achieve getting 0.5inches so no worries

no it does more good than not.

convex scissors (45 degee angle scissors)
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/scissors.jpg
which i got inspired from this post - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=222999&postcount=3

and this is my method - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146

Hana
May 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
1. How often do you S&D? About once a week.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? Only been doing it for about a month! But about an hour each time.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? In large chunks, yes. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist, every now and again I'll spy JUST ONE HAIR, then I'll lose it later and it's drives me nuts.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? About an inch.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I trim off all damage.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? The second one.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? In some places where there were lots of splits, yes, but I think it's virtually impossible to get every single split.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Not to my knowledge.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Not hit that point, and I doubt I ever will!

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I bought some specifically for the job, never to be used on anything else. £5 drugstore scissors, they do the job perfectly. Just need a little sharpening.

Tap Dancer
May 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
I do a quick scan of my hair in the mirror each morning and remove any damage I see. I do a more thorough search 2 or 3 times a month.

About 30 minutes each time when I'm doing a thorough search. I'm prone to headaches if I go for too long. Eyestrain, you know. :(

Not really. Maybe that will change if I do S&Ds more often. As my hair grows longer, I'll probably do it once or twice a week.

I only get splits at the ends, so I snip the hair just above the damage.

I remove any damage I see.

I do it to enhance the overall condition. I want my hair to be as healthy as possible.

No.

No.

No. It's not the most fun way to spend my time, but it does help to keep my hair healthy. That makes it worth my time.

I use some sharp scissors we keep in the bathroom. Tonight I ordered a pair of Arius Eickert shears. I'll be using them from now on! :)

Kaijah
May 23rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
1. How often do you S&D? Right now, I probably only set aside for a "session" once a week. I do have a few random sets of little hair scissors around the house, so I snip if I just happen to see one poking out a braid or something.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? Not sure. Probably around 2 hours?

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Definitely. I still spend time looking (out of compulsion) but there's less snipping.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Not much at all. Probably 1/8th an inch or something minuscule. Why snip healthy bits? :P

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I trim off anything that looks unhealthy.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I think so. I haven't really cut in more than a year and it's not getting extra ratty/tangly like it used to before this gentler LHC-style treatment.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Yep! Though I've never had super tangly hair.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? I don't think so. All my layers are still gaining length even with a significant amount of S&D.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? I haven't reached that point yet, but I still have previously-heat-straightened hair I haven't chopped.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? Those cheapy, 7-8 dollar hair scissors you can get at places like Walgreens, Target, Walmart, etc. in the hair stuff aisle.

Oskimosa
May 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
I'm loving these responses! Keep 'em coming :)

Arctic_Mama
May 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
1. How often do you S&D? Very infrequently, I do it when I notice a split or every few months, but never for more than a few minutes, as I have very few splits (amazingly!)

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? As I said, probably less than two minutes a month.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? I am dealing with old color and heat damage, so the hair will become continually more delicate with time. I have noticed no difference in the frequency of the splits but I anticipate getting more with time, not less.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? I have had a few on the tips of the hair, maybe an 1/8 of an inch or less in length, and a few tree-branch style ones that split for several inches into several pieces!

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Unless the bend looks broken I don't snip it, as washing my hair will often fix some kinks. I don't really get white dots, so I cant comment. I definitely do NOT trim my taper, I hair fairytale ends due to growing out layers and with my hair I need length more than bluntness, especially since I wear it up every day. One inch off makes the difference between being able to bun my hair creatively or being back to a cinnabun :(

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I definitely do it just for overall condition, I wouldn't trim regardless but it is nice not to NEED to trim it. I I'll cut off all my damaged ends in time, but not until my hair is much, much longer, so S&D is a great tool for keeping my hair healthy looking and not garnering me comments about how 'ratty' long hair can look!

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? No difference, really, my ends are a bit Velcro as a rule. The biggest difference in my tangling is a silk pillowcase and daily bunning :)

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Not at all, but I have probably snipped less than 20 hairs on my head in the past two years :lol:

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Nope, but as I mentioned I don't have a huge need for it so it's hard to burn out when I do it so infrequently.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I use a nice pair of Kissaki shears I got on eBay. They're expensive, but I cut the family hair and my own hair so it was worth it to get a real quality pair. I think they were about 70 USD.

aksown
May 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
1. How often do you S&D? Whenever I think to do it or I start to notice an inordinate amount of splits.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? Anywhere from 12 to .5, depending on how I've been wearing it lately

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Absolutely!! When I started, a year ago, I could spend three or four hours continuously snipping away but now I have to hunt for three or four splits.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? 1/8" or so.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I trim splits, taper and white dots, after I pull them apart, cause I'm weird that way :p I don't worry about bends cause washing straightens them right out.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? Both

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Not really. It's more about doing the right updo than whether or not I have a few splits

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? No, it's saved me from having to trim massive amounts of damage. I have fine hair and it splits very easily. My ends are thinner than they would be without the S&D but I'm fine with that.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? NOPE!!!!

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I use Goody scissors that I bought for $10 at Fred Meyer. They are used for may hair only!

GoddesJourney
May 24th, 2010, 01:06 AM
1. How often do you S&D?
About once a month.

I think it takes me about an hour, maybe a little more. The first time I did this, it took me about three.

A little less. The main thing is that I'm slowly trimming off severe damage. That is the part of my hair that gets splits. Otherwise, my hair gets only a reasonable amount of splits that I'm not too worried about. Once the damage is gone, I will probably not S&D or at least not very often.

Just a little above it. My hair splits pretty high up. I think I S&D about the last six to eight inches off my hair. Honestly, I can't really see the rest but there appears to be no damage.

Tapers are just natural ends. I trim off splits (some pretty wild ones), white dots, and the bends that don't look like they'll recover. I'm not too careful about trimming off a little extra or a couple of neighboring hairs. It's all getting cut off eventually.

Both. Instead of trimming for the last few months, I've just S&Ded. I do it when my hair starts to tangle, which is also apparently when it breaks off a lot when I brush or comb. My hair doesn't naturally tangle much at my thickness (coarseness) unless it's really windy, so that's usually a good indication that my hair looks like plant roots.

After S&D, it combs/brushes through comparatively smoothly.

No, I lose length to it breaking off continually... and trimming. S&D saves me from both of those.

Nope, it's pretty new to me. When this damage is gone, I will probably not bother. A few splits are not the end of the world.

My mother in law bought me a pair for $10-$15 in Brazil after she saw me eying them (really nice lady). They're steel hair scissors. I love them and use them only to trim my hair and for S&D.

julliams
May 24th, 2010, 02:38 AM
1. How often do you S&D?
Whenever I think of it - most likely several times a month

I would spend about an hour a month if I were to guess.
3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? A trim took care of it for me and I have had to S & D much less since then but it has only been 2 months

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Just a little above it

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I trim only splits and bends. I don't have white dots and I have been told that tapers are new hair that has never been cut so I leave them.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I think I do it because I am a perfectionist and the light is good on my laptop monitor.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Only since my trim.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? I don't believe I've done it enough for that.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? I'm feeling a little like that now. Sometimes I see a split and I can't be bothered to get up and get the scissors so I let it go.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I bought some $10 haircutting scissors from Coles and I'm hoping they are good.

Anlbe
May 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=Oskimosa;1101535]I haven't seen a thread like this, but since S&D is only three words, it doesn't come up with searches, so I apologize if this has been done already :o

I have some questions about S&Ding since I'm a total newbie to it, and there are too many to poll. I thought it'd be fun to see all the responses :) So, here we go:

1. How often do you S&D? At least twice a week, upto every day. Each time I do 100 Ds which takes about two or three minutes

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? Upto an hour

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? No, I highlight my hair so the split ends never end.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Wherever I find them

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Trim all damamge

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I'm lazy, I still only trim twice a year

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Yes

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? No, I've gained length because there is a lot less damamge

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Nope

10. What kind of scissors do you use? Scunci hair scissors, they're a couple of inches long and come with a solid sheath which means they travel well

elina333
May 24th, 2010, 11:24 AM
1. How often do you S&D?

Couple of times a week

3-4 hours

Yes!

Somewhere between right above it half an inch above it

All damage, especially the white dots!

I havent had a trim since January 5th -10 so it has def helped saving my length! :D

No not really

I dont think so

No :)

Tweezerman

Siava
May 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
1. How often do you S&D? Whenever I remember to so that can range to several times a week to once a month to once every few months.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? If I do it with frequency, usually about 30 minutes before my eyes start to cross.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? No.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Not very far, just a teeny bit above the damage.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I trim off white dots and bends, but leave the tapers.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I just do it to enhance the overall condition.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Yes.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Hmm, not that I've noticed.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? I go through phases which is why I'm so wishy washy about S&D.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I don't recall the brand. It was a $10 pair I picked up at Sally's Beauty.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
1. How often do you S&D? Just started it :D

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? N/A

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? N/A

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? As little as possible.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Everything that looks bad.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? Definitely save length!! Why sacrifice healthy ends?!

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Nope

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Not yet, but i think i will.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Yes, many times.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? Small metal scissors made for, i think, eyebrows.

CaliforniaAnne
May 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Oops...pardon me, but what is S&D?

spidermom
May 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I only S&D when I'm stuck sitting, like as a passenger during a car trip or with an ice bag on my ankle after twisting it. So there's no schedule to it at all. I might do it twice in one week and then not again for six weeks.

I really don't know whether it does any good. I think it does because sometimes I find some doozies where the split ends on my split ends are split or splits that have already traveled 2 or more inches up the shaft. I also snip out knots. When I come across what looks like white dots, I run my fingers down the hairs first. Sometimes it's just dust. If it's not, I pull gently on either side of the dot, and if it pops apart, I trim about 1/4 inch above it.

I don't think it decreases tangling. It's more something to do than anything.

Oskimosa
May 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Oops...pardon me, but what is S&D?

S&D is short for "Search and Destroy," a term we use to describe hunting down damage and trimming it off on a hair-by-hair basis. There are techniques to shorten the "searching" end of it, and there are certain guidelines to doing it right such as using very sharp scissors and whatnot. This thread should be very helpful to acquainting you as to what method may work for you :)

CaliforniaAnne
May 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks a bunch! :D

Deborah
May 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
1. Never.

2-10. N/A

Laylah
May 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
Not very often, and not usually intentionally. If I'm bored and see a split or feel a single-strand knot, I'll cut it off.

It's quite variable- there's no schedule. I do S&D when I detect damage.

I used to be crazy about S&D because the splits kept coming back, but I don't care too much now so I just leave it alone.

As far as the knot/split is...and usually half cm above the actual damage.

I do splits and single strand knots.

I neither trim nor S&D often, so I'm no help with that question.

No, but single strand knots do cause tangles so I assume I'm preventing a few by cutting them off.

no.

Yes... it's not worth doing regularly for me, as I see no real difference, but if I feel a knot while doing a braid I'll cut it off.

I know it bad lol, but I use regular kitchen scissors! eek. But for doing trims I use hair scissors.

Oskimosa
May 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I guess I should fill out my own questionnaire :P

1. How often do you S&D?
Varies. Sometimes daily for a few minutes, then I might skip a week. Really just when I'm bored sitting someplace and I notice them.

It's decreasing, but i'd say anywhere from 3-8 hours all together. I can't sit doing it very long without it hurting my eyes. Maybe it just feels longer since I'm sitting so focused.

Too early to say. I've noticed I spend more time S'ing and less time D'ing than before, so as I've hoped I've gotten a hold on them. From here on out I hope it's just maintenance.

Depends... sometimes it shines like there is damage to the cuticle, but I can't tell if that's being too picky. Otherwise I'll just go up a few millimeters.

I'm not to picky on the bends or tapers... but as I find fewer and fewer splits I often find myself clipping tapers out of boredom/perfectionism.

As my hair gets longer, I've found it tangling more than it ever used to. My ends are often crunchy no matter what I do. I was hoping that S&Ding would eliminate some of the crunchies and tangling. It's made me want to trim less because the condition is better, although not perfect; so I guess it's a combo effect.

I can't really tell. Maybe? There is still heat damage to my ends, aside from splits, so I don't think I will get rid of my tangles until those are gone. If ever.

Overall, no; but yesterday I was noticing as I brushed my hair that the last couple of inches of my hair are actually see-though now. I have lost alot of thickness due to heavy S&Ding, which I did not anticipate whatsoever.

I'm in the process of deciding that. I'm leaning toward it being a waste of time since I still have tangles and have lost thickness, although the overall condition of my ends feels better. If it just weren't so addictive, I would drop the scissors completely and stop bothering with it at least for a good while.

An $18 pair that I got from Sally's, Jilbere brand. I have not noticed any new splits after self-trimming with them, so I'm guessing they are plenty sharp. They are serrated and help keep my thick hair from slipping out or "pushing back" when I cut.

Katrina
May 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
1. How often do you S&D? Once a month or so. Sometimes more often if I feel like doing it. I used to S&D every other week, but I have been very lazy with it lately.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? 2 hours, maybe.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? No, not really.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? I try to trim as little as possible.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Splits and bends. I don't have white dots and tapers don't bother me.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I try cut tangling, so I do it mostly to enchance the overall condition of my hair.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Yes.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? No.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? No.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I bought mine from a hairsalon.

HintOfMint
May 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
About 3 times a week, just before bedtime
No more than 3 hours total, although it used to be more, when I had more splits and had just gotten my hair scissors.
Yes, absolutely. Although that could also be due to more gentle detangling practices, and wearing my hair up more often.
About a centimeter.
Yes, in fact, sharp bends and white dots are the most common type of damage in my hair.
It helps me stave off overall trims at the salon, so yes, it saves length.
No. Friction is the main cause of my tangles, and I can easily end up with a mini dread on the bottom layer of my hair just from wearing it down for one day.
Overall length, no. However, the layer that grows from the nape of my neck is shorter because I had a great deal of damage there. Since the damage was limited to that layer, I just decided to S&D/trim that part, which made it significantly shorter. However, now that I am more consistent in S&D, it prevents a lot of damage from traveling up, so I'm not losing length anymore.
Around every six months, I find that, even though there is no visible damage, my ends start to feel off, no matter how often I S&D. That's when I head in for a salon trim. Even though my hairdresser always comments that my ends look really good and a trim isn't really necessary, my hair feels so much better after the trim.
Conair hair scissors I bought from Target.

Snowflakey
May 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
- Once a month.

- I do one session per month, and each session takes around 3-4 hours.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less?kind of,but not a drastic improvement :S

- I only snip off the white dots and splits, which are usually no bigger than half a cm.

- I trim off bends, small tangles, white dots, and splits.

- Yes. Ever since I started S&D two years ago, I haven't been to a salon for trimming, which helps me keep my length longer (stylists always seem to trim too much).

- Yes. My hair seems softer and more manageable after too.

- No.

- There was a point when I thought that, because my S&D sessions seem to be needing more and more time (in the beginning, it only took 1 hour). But I'm starting to like my fairytale ends, so I feel it's more worth it now.

- Hair cutting scissors, Goody brand.

eezepeeze
May 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I haven't seen a thread like this, but since S&D is only three words, it doesn't come up with searches, so I apologize if this has been done already :o

1. How often do you S&D?

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I don't want to overdo it :) Thanks to anyone who responds, I look forward to reading your answers! :D

1. whenever I feel like my ends are starting to look too dry and frazzled. No set time.

2. no more than half an hour a month

3. Maybe somewhat, although I haven't been doing it for very long

4. an inch or less

5. I trim off any damage I see, from splits, to thinning ends, to tiny knots, to bends/curves

6. I still do dusting trims every couple of months to keep my hemline even. I S&D to keep my hair healthier.

7. I don't have many tangles except at the nape of my neck. BRAIDING at night has been the most beneficial regarding tangles.

8. No

9. Not yet. I hate dry ends, so I keep up with it pretty well.

10. I use kids' sized scissors that I keep in my nightstand for hair-related/makeup related things. They're not especially sharp or exactly for hair, but they get the job done.

bigeyedgirl829
May 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
1. How often do you S&D?

I used to be addicted to it so every day when I could fit it in. But now I do it maybe every 2 weeks. It ends up taking an hour or two though because my addiction comes back :eyebrows:

To be completely honest it can range from 4-16 hours!

Immediately after yes. After washing it and checking again... no!

It can go up a lot like 5-6 inches!!

All damaged pieces

Sometimes though I haven't seen much of an improvement of my split ends!

Immediately after yes! In a couple days no!

No.

Sometimes because my split ends are sooo terrible!! But I hate when the sunshine hits my hair and I see the splits... so for my own benefit I continue!

I use hair trimming scissors that they have in the cosmetic dept. I'm thinking about upgrading to the actual professional trimmers! But they can be pricey!

EtherealOde
May 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
1. How often do you S&D? A couple times a week.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? 2-4 hours tops.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Yes

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? Just above, same as a dusting trim.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? Only splits so far, because I generally don't see much other damage aside from tapers and thaose don't bother me.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? a) probably, since I am only trimming the damage instead of my entire head of hair. b) yes

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? yes

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Not that I can tell

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Yes, because it gave me bad headaches and eyestrain. Then I got a 10x magnification mirror and all that went away, and any damage is much easier to spot.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? A small pair of good trimming scissors I bought at Sally's, they were expensive but worth it. I only use them on my hair, and keep them clean, oiled, and dry.

mora
September 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry for reviving such an old thread. I'm sure it's not of interest to the OP any more but I found it interesting since I've been wondering for a while if other people S&D their tapers...

1. How often do you S&D? Sometimes daily and sometimes not for more than a month

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? This varies because of the inconsistent frequency as noted above and because each session can last from a few minutes to over an hour

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? Yes, if I'm doing it semi-regularly. It's increased since I started adding tapers, though.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? probably 1/2 - 1" above the split/damage but the split/damage itself is rarely near the hemline and can be as much as a foot above the hemline.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I started with just splits and white dots (the white dots were more common than actual splits) but have added sharp bends and tapers. Once I started doing sharp bends and tapers, the white dots and splits decreases (because sometimes they were on tapers!)

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I do it for the condition. It also helps identify things that may be causing mechanical damage when I find a lot in one area.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? Not really when it was just splits and white dots. Very much so since doing tapers.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? It doesn't seem like it. I may have lost some thickness but it probably would've been lost due to breakage anyways.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? Often

10. What kind of scissors do you use? For the last few years, a pair like these (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Ergo-Grip-Series-Shears-5/SBS-345580,default,pd.html) from Sally but I used a pair from the drug store for a short while before they became dull.

Zesty
September 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
Irregularly, but there's rarely a week that goes by that I don't snip at least a few splits.

Maybe an hour total? I don't pay attention most of the time because I do it while I'm also reading or surfing the internet or something like that.

It's harder to find splits as time goes on, but no, I haven't really noticed that.

Very little. Usually maybe an eighth of an inch behind the split or white dot. If the end looks white still, I snip a little bit more, because that probably means I didn't get all the damage.

I probably trim more white dots than splits, honestly, and if the bend or crimp is bad enough I'll snip it. I don't look for tapers. I snip a tiny one strand knot every once in a while.

I do it because I'm OCD and can't stand to leave my splits alone. Also, most of them are on the medium-length hairs, so trimming wouldn't help much.

No, not really. Tangles for me depend on the dryness of my hair as well as the presence or absence of cones.

No, my hair looks exactly the same, mostly because the splits aren't on my hemline.

For me it's not really that kind of a thing. :p I don't go "Should I S&D? Is it worth it?"; I go "I see a split. BRING ME MY SCISSORS!" and then I sit there for a while looking for more. I've always just had the habit of examining my ends very closely when it's down, and that feeds into S&D nicely.

Some sort of Tweezerman scissors. $20 on Amazon. I forgot the specific name.

sun-kissed
September 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
This is great, thanks for reviving, mora!

1. How often do you S&D? About twice a month; whenever I have time.

2. How much time do you spend on S&D on a monthly basis? Maybe two hours, sometimes more, sometimes less. But I think I need to start doing it more often.

3. Have you noticed with time that you need to S&D less? No, I have very damaged hair and so nearly every other hair is split.

4. How far up the hair shaft do you trim from a split/damage? I just snip the split off, maybe anm 1/8" up the shaft.

5. Do you "D" only the splits, or do you trim off other damage like bends, white dots, and tapers? I snip off all damage, because dots and bends become splits. If the taper is not damaged, I leave it.

6. Has S&Ding helped you save length from extensive trimming or do you just do it to enhance the overall condition of your hair? I do it because I am trying to baby my hair from BSL to waist without cutting off five inches of damage all at once. I am in serious need of a cut, but choose not to. And I do believe that S&Ding has helped the overall health of my hair.

7. Since S&Ding, have you noticed fewer tangles? I can't honestly say, since at the same time I started S&Ding I also started wearing my hair up every day, and at night I have been much less stressed and so I move around less often, resulting in hardly any tangles. But my hair does itch less on my neck after a major mission.

8. Have you lost length to S&Ding? Well, of course I have lost some length, just not any that I can notice.

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing anymore? No! It's helped me so much and I know that it will help me get to my goal faster without cutting all my length off at once.

10. What kind of scissors do you use? I use my mother's hair-cutting scissors. I have no idea where they came from, but they get the job done.

<3OnHerSleeve
September 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
I usually see how I go, currently I'm going to S&D when I reach my next mini-hairlength goal and try and pace myself every month or two.
A good 15-30+ mins
My hair improved a great deal with overall treating it better in a variety of ways, so I would say yes
Usually 1/2 cm
I cut off white dots
I think it mainly helps with the overall condition of my hair. It didn't save me from extensive trimming because I had severely damaged hair until I braved a big cut, it's been 2 months since the big cut and no split ends so far.
My hair is curly so no it has very little to do with tangles for me.
I wouldn't blame the S&Ding, my hair was breaking because it was so damaged
I will continue doing it as necessary, but at the moment my hair is in perfect condition
I use elite hair dressing scissors I bought from Target in Australia

pepperminttea
September 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
When I spot a split. A couple of times a week, ish?

20-30 minutes, completely guessing.

Oh definitely. I used to find so many when I S&Ded.

Quite close to the split itself, maybe 3 millimetres above it?

It depends. I sometimes leave bends, but I do cut white dots. I leave tapers be unless they're very obviously splits rather than hair that's never been trimmed. I also cut fairy knots.

Both. I haven't trimmed in a year. I'm told my hemline's still thick. :)

Since starting S&D I've also made many other changes, so I'm not really sure. My hair's always a tangle-monster when I leave it to its own devices.

Not noticeably?

9. Did you ever get to the point where you didn't think it was worth doing any more?
Not yet. It can be a pain, but it is worth it for me.

Tweezerman hair scissors from Boots. :)

Pierre
September 11th, 2011, 11:01 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
Less than once a month, but I used to do it at least once a week.
Less than a minute. I do snip tangles when combing in the shower and when braiding, but I'm not searching by looking.
Definitely. I used to spend ten to fifteen minutes S&Ding while waiting for the bus.
10 mm or so.
Splits, rough ends, and knots.
I don't trim.
Yes. I'm sure wearing it up all the time helps too.
No.
Yes. I get almost no splits, so there's not much point looking for them.
Either small 45° hair scissors, which I use only for hair, or small 30° or so kitchen scissors, of which I have two pairs, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. I also use the latter pair as a strigil.

Loreley
September 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
1. How often do you S&D?
About once a week.

A couple of hours.

Yes.

0,5-1".

I cut everything which would be demage: white dots, knots, etc.

I do it to improve the overall condition of my hair.

Yes.

No.

No. I find much less demage than when I started, but I want to remove every single split end so I keep looking for them.

Fiskars hair cutting scissors.

Modarunner
September 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
1. How often do you S&D?
Once a week.
Depends if there are any good tv shows on. I watch tv and S&D.
I just started doing S&D so I haven't noticed yet.
0.25" and up depending on what type of split and how bad.
I do all of them
Enhances my condition overall, but it does make my ends feel softer
Def at the ends
No
Not as of yet. I'm kind of OCD and splits drive me crazy
Professional haircutting shears from Sally's.