PDA

View Full Version : Boils on scalp?

cardamom
May 22nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
I never had this before.I just found 3 boils(?) on my scalp while combing.I have 1 on my forehead,which looked like a non purulent pimple.I am not sure if those bumps(2 mm or so) on my scalp are boils,but I get immense pain while combing.I have had flakes here and there few weeks ago,but certainly not now.I use a mixture of oils(coconut,sweet almond and castor) on most days before a wash.My hair and scalp where happy with my regimen till date.I wonder what is happening.:confused:

loralie
May 23rd, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hmmm, I get bumps on my scalp too from time to time, no bigger than the pencil on the end of an eraser, but slightly raised and sore to comb. They're like little hard lumps, and when I part my hair to look at them they're red, not like pimples with a head.

It could have to do with the amount of oils you're using and whether or not you use them on your scalp- I use those 3 as well but have stopped slathering my scalp as it tends to make my scalp too greasy and then I have to use harsh shampoos to get it out, which dries my poor scalp.

When I SMT with oil I use a blend of castor and almond, but apply it an inch or so away from my roots to the ends of my hair. This keeps it from saturating the scalp and giving me trouble there. I use coconut as my daily oil, after showers and the next day when it's all absorbed.

Purdy Bear
May 23rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I get the occasional spot on my head, just as I would on my face. They seem to go within a few days. I dont know what causes them, I was thinking of sebum build up in my case.

Speckla
May 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Could they be ingrown hairs?

TiaKitty
May 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
They could be pimples that haven't come to a head yet. Or, since it's summer... could they be bug bites?

My Moms had one the other night that was a *huge* blackhead. I was able to express it for her, and she was very grateful. After it came out, it cleared right up, with no infection.

Just remember, the scalp is very vascular, and if you were to express or rupture it, you may bleed more than normal because there's so much blood flow to the scalp.

I guess a little Neosporin couldn't hurt, either.

Coffeebug
May 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
If they've suddenly come up and you haven't changed anything to do with your routine or your wash powder for your bedding or anything, then I wonder if it's some kind of internal issue like hormones being briefly tricky or something? Maybe it'll settle on it's own and be fine again - I hope so, sounds sore :-(

cardamom
May 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think it has to do something with my daily oiling(though I wash everyday),or hormonal fluctuations.Yesterday,my DH examined and said they look like tiny red pimples without head.I stopped oiling my scalp and did a S/C.:rolleyes:.Tiakitty,no bed bugs here.I am thinking of neosporin,but unless it is an open area of inflammation or infection,I wonder how it would help.

teela1978
May 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I get something similar if I start using the gentle shampoos. Little sore bumps that later pop and scab over. My scalp is much happier with regular shampooing... my scalp doesn't seem to mind oiling on occasion though, as long as I wash it out later. The oil really makes my length happy, even with washing it out an hour later.

Crazycatlady
May 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I get these if I go too long without using shampoo that has SLS...the "real deal" shampoo. I CO several times a week and shampoo once. Sometimes once isn't enough, though. Guess it just depends on how much I sweat and how dirty my scalp gets. I even tried shampoo with no sulphates and I still get them. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like CO just doesn't clean my scalp as well as a good shampoo does. My hair, however, always looks clean with CO...never a problem there. It's just my scalp. Maybe some of the oils you are using are blocking the cleansers from getting through to clean your scalp??

Also, let me mention that I never had this problem with these bumps before I started cutting back on washing my hair. It's just something I will have to monitor and adjust as I grow my hair out I suppose. :confused:

Good luck!!!

teela1978
May 24th, 2010, 09:14 AM
crazy cat lady, exactly :) I do find that ALS shampoos (e.g. suave) make my scalp happier than SLS though (e.g. vo5).

spidermom
May 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I get the same thing, sounds like, at my hair line near the nape of my neck occasionally. I think it's a combination of oily scalp and heat/sweating. But I'm not sure.

Crazycatlady
May 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for pointing that out to me...just checked the ingredient list on the three shampoos I alternate and only one has SLS listed first. The other two have SMS (sodium myreth sulfate) and ALS. :)
crazy cat lady, exactly :) I do find that ALS shampoos (e.g. suave) make my scalp happier than SLS though (e.g. vo5).

Amraann
May 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Could it be spider bites?

I think that because they popped up at the same time.
If they do not clear in a few days please consult a DR.

cardamom
July 9th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Did you tell S-P-I-D-E-R?:eek:No way!
I don't really know the culprit!

I tried washing my face at the end of the shower(after washing hair)and I stood at the periphery of the shower so that the conditioner doesn't coat my face and plug pores.I avoided conditioner on the scalp too.With all these I stopped getting boils,my skin was glowing again and I was about to make a post .Unfortunately I have a new sore bump on my forehead and I'm back at square 1!:confused:

littlenvy
July 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I had those all winter long. (not sure if it has anything to do with weather thou)
BUT ... ever since I started on my ACV rinse it eased off and now all the bumps are gone :)
Maybe your PH leavel is off?
I also hear that Amla is good for any kind of acne or skin problems. Have your tried that?

haibane
July 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I got these horribly when I tried CO on my scalp, so I went back to SLS shampoo for a while, but with milder non-SLS shampoos and ACV rinses my scalp seems calmer than ever.

Curlzncoilz
July 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hmm, I think the dandruff/boils could be a sign of irritation. It's worth looking into whether your cleanser (sulfate or sulfate free) is strong enough to remove oil/conditioner and product used between your wash days.
Finding a cleanser that is the right fit isn't easy :o we want it to contain beneficial ingredients and clean the hair and scalp but not strip our hair or irritate our scalps. Have you found a product that works well for you?
Also, do you clarify? Use of oils and products with cones may need a gentle clarifier used once in 3/4 months to ensure that nothing can build up over time and cause problems like irritation later.
My 2 cents :)