PDA

View Full Version : Yay for good salon experiences!

ErinM
May 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Whenever I grow my hair long, I find that I have trouble with hairdressers who don't want to take the time with it. I hate getting trims, anyway, since I'm so hesitant to lose any length, but I'm growing out some coloring damage, so it's necessary. Today, I walked into a local place and ended up with a woman who, when I let down my bun, exclaimed, "Yay! I love long hair!" It was such a relief! I explained how I needed a split-end trim, but didn't want to sacrifice TOO much length, and she totally understood. She washed very gently, finger-detangled in the chair, took her time making sure my ends were even and, true to her word, took about half an inch off. Enough to feel refreshed and non-frizzy on the ends, without sacrificing tons of length.

I know there are a number of LHCers who don't get trims really at all, but for those who find them necessary now and then, am I the only one who nearly panics at the sight of scissors? :o

Forever_Sophie
May 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
That's awesome!! I'm so glad you found someone who understands :) Total diamond in the rough.

Hana
May 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
I know a hairdresser who listens very well to what I ask her, but I'm moving away soon. Boo! Kind of an effort seeing it took me 2 years to find her.
Gonna have to learn to trim my own hair, haha.

I dont panic at the sight of scissors in others hands, unless I've got cash in my hand!

Glad you found someone reliable, keep a hold of them! :D

fairytalegirl
May 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I moved 4 years ago and have yet to find someone who understands and doesn't just hack away. Honestly, the last time I needed a trim, I asked my husband to do it. He actually did better than anyone. He likes long hair so that may be part of it.

mellie89
May 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Yay! My last salon experience was a good one too. The woman was very gentle, took off only the half-inch that I asked for, and yelled at me for bleaching my hair. She told me that my natual color is gorgeous and that I should never dye it. Aw, shucks! :)

jane53
May 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Erin, I found a hairdresser with very, very long hair. Tailbone length. I don't have to argue with her or caution her about anything.

I was walking by the beauty salooooon where she works and caught a glimpse of her when the door opened briefly. I walked right in and made an appointment. She's been my hair trimmer for several years. And she has cats too, so we have that to talk about.

The beauty saloon is actually in the rich suburb of my city (I live in a working class neighborhood in the actual city), and the place is full of wealthy, wealthy people getting their hair done, but my hair trimmer doesn't overcharge me for the simple, always appropriate trims she gives me.

She's a find. I no longer have to threaten hair dressers as I used to after a few bad experiences. ("If I see more than 2 inches of my hair on the floor, I'll start pro-rating your fee!")

Actually, despite some bad experiences, I've had several good hair trimmers, but I trust this one the most because she has long, long hair and has kept her long, long hair.

ErinM
May 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
You know, Jane, there may be something to that. The woman helping me today was telling me she's trying to grow her own hair out and how she has layers to grow (as do I). She mentioned how very jealous she was of my thick, long, straight hair and even mentioned if I ever wanted to trade... ;) Maybe it's something other long-haired people just "get"? I certainly DID get her name and will be seeing her for all my twice-a-year trims. :P

Lielananna
May 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I dreaded going to the hairdresser all the time up until a few years ago when I found my current guy. He actually specializes in long hair and loves it on women - his wife has long gorgeous tailbone (I think) length hair. I actually have to travel quite a ways to get to him, but I feel it is totally worth it when I walk out of the salon with an even hemline and not much hair on the floor.

Loreley
May 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
That's great! :) I trim my own hair for about 5 years because I haven't found a good hairdresser yet. :(