PDA

View Full Version : My hair questions

Mayanquice
May 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
My hair is very dark brown. I can really see my split ends now. They look white & noticable.
Will search & destroy help this without getting an all over cut?
(I believe it's called search & destroy, lol when you cut ea. split end out instead of all over hair cut). I don't want to lose my legth but I will cut each white split end.

Does molasses make dark hair red or give a red tint?
What can I put on my hair to protect it from the sun this summer?
Is there anything I can put on my ends to help close the cuticle & prevent slpit ends?
Thanks! I know there's a bunch of randomness here, I just don't know what to do
:?

fairytalegirl
May 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
How far up do your split ends go?

Sarahmoon
May 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Welcome Mayanquice. I can't answer every question but will try.

Will search & destroy help this without getting an all over cut?
Search and destroy is a good way to get rid of split ends without losing much length. Just make sure you use good sharp hair scissors, rather than the ones you use to cut paper.

Does molasses make dark hair red or give a red tint?
I haven't heard of that. I believe it can darken hair a bit over time, but not everyone gets noticeable results. If you want a red tint, a henna gloss might be a good idea.

What can I put on my hair to protect it from the sun this summer?
I'd like to know. Personally I try to go out as little as possible with wet hair or put it in a bun if I really have to, so the hair won't be as exposed to sunlight.

Is there anything I can put on my ends to help close the cuticle & prevent slpit ends?
What helped reducing split ends for me is using a wide tooth comb rather than a brush. I never comb my hair when it's still wet. I rinse my hair with white vinegar and then with "coldish" water. I believe that helps close the cuticle. I also use jojoba oil on my ends frequently. Some members here had good results with catnip rinse, but I've never tried that myself.

Carolyn
May 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
I can help you with a couple of your questions. Yes S & D will help. It's time consuming but it's a good way to get rid of the splits without chopping off length. Some of us enjoy doing S & D and others hate it. I enjoy it. It's something I do in front of my laptop screen while I watch TV. Get some good quality hair scissors and use them ONLY for hair. The other thing your hair may need is moisture. Condition your hair every wash or you could think about CO (conditioner only) washing. You may feel like you need to lose a little length sometime but I don't see a need to start cutting now.

Mayanquice
May 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
They go up about 2" on my left side. Although on my right side they go up about 3" in some random areas.

fairytalegirl
May 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
So, too much just to trim. I've never tried S&D but I think it could be relaxing and if it preserves your length, definately worth trying. I have heard coconut oil is good for dry hair and split ends.