PDA

View Full Version : Henna causing hair loss??

Domino
May 22nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone.

Today I asked my mom to henna my roots as usual and in the middle of the process she said that since I've started using henna my hair's overall thickness has decreased. It's been almost two years and I think I would've noticed :mad: But then again my roots are blondish and very ashy so maybe it's just their color being close to my scalp..?

Anyone else experience hair loss with continued use of henna?? :(

TIA!

breezefaerie
May 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
No, I'm sorry. I have actually noticed the opposite effect. My hair shafts are thicker and that lends itself to my overall hair being thicker.

Star Eagle
May 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Same with me my hair has gotten thicker...

HotRag
May 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Scalp problems can sometimes cause hair loss. And henna can cause reactions (it did to me). Does it itch for example?

Another thing is that henna made my hair look sleeker. It may then look thinner but isn't. Without henna I have a bit more "almost straight hair frizz".

Domino
May 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Nope I've been using it for two years now and I've never had a reaction to it. It also keeps me dandruff free for 3 weeks and lessens breakage a lot...and I adore the color :o

I'm hoping it's the blondish roots :/ Honestly it seems the same to me when compared to my pictures from a few years ago.

Maybe my mom is tired of hennaing my hair every month :eyebrows:

Zombiekins
May 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
My virgin hair is quite fine and silky (though there is a lot of it), and with the henna it gradually gets thicker down the length.

Are you on birth control? My late teens/early twenties was a time when hormones and birth control wreaked havoc on my body and hair. I lost a good third of my thickness (or more) and it never came back. Perhaps it's not the henna or a scalp issue, but your body?

Domino
May 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
My body chemistry and BCPs don't exactly get along. I have very mild PCOS though and I never noticed excessive shedding :/

georgia_peach
May 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
My roots are very light grey compared to the henna. The lighter roots definitely give the impression of thinning and bald spots next to the scalp. So perhaps your theory about your blonde roots is right on target! Best of luck!

Domino
May 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you, that's very relieving :cheese:

SpeakingEZ
December 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Reviving a dead thread here. It's been about 2-3 weeks since I've started using indigo with my henna and I noticed an almost .5" drop in my hair circumference. I'm not sure if it's because of the indigo, if something else is in my hair that's making it more compressed, or if stress is making it thin.

About a week ago, an eczema-ish rash turned up on my neck, but only in the front. I was quick to chaulk that up to stress. Both symptoms might be caused by stress, but they might both be caused by the indigo.

I haven't noticed any rash in places that my hair normally falls or felt any on my scalp. My scalp hasn't been itchy, either, aside from what's normally caused by henna residue before I finally shampoo my hair days later.

little_cherry
December 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I've only seen hair loss with henna if:
a) I didn't detangle before hennaing
b) Hennaing on dry hair
c) being rough with application. I don't massage it in, just apply it gently.
d) piling henna hair on top of head. Now I make a very loose bun and use a shower cap to contain the hair
e) Not letting the water soak the henna hair for 5-10 minutes before gently massaging to remove the henna.

Unofficial_Rose
December 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM
My hair appears noticeably thicker and bouncier since I removed some of my henndigo with yoghurt packs. I wonder if too much henna can weigh the strands down? So it won't be thinner, but it might appear to be so?

KarenSJ
December 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
My hair appears noticeably thicker and bouncier since I removed some of my henndigo with yoghurt packs. I wonder if too much henna can weigh the strands down? So it won't be thinner, but it might appear to be so?

I think henna might do this- I have found in my hair that it feels smoother, and doesn't hold a ponytail or braid/bun as well. My theory for this is that the cuticle is laid down more- my hair is healthier, whereas before my hair had more damage and *seemed* thicker due to the lifted/damaged scales on the cuticle. Just like when your hair feels thicker after bleaching, perming, or using chemical dyes. Makes the hair more manageable and thicker, you love it for a few days, then hate it for the rest of the time until your next treatment. Henna does the opposite for me- I don't love it until a few days afterwards, when all the residue is rinsed from my hair and scalp and I know my hair is stronger, not weaker. I do have an issue with scalp and end dryness though, but oiling definitely helps. And best of all, NO FRIZZIES! :)