PDA

View Full Version : Growing out an inverted bob...help!

May
May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I was at waist length a few years ago and a few months ago, while I was pregnant with my son, cut my hair into a inverted bob. I've been maintaining it for a couple months but now I'm growing it out because I pretty much despise it :) My question is about the longer length in front during the growing out process. Should I even it out myself so that it's basically one length while I grow it out? I'm not sure if i will look very nice until it reaches past shoulders though...I'm sort of at a loss and desperately want to grow out this awful hairstyle on me. I was just wondering if anyone is going(or who has gone) through something similar?

UltraBella
May 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
My daughter just went through the same thing. She tried to keep the length in front but it just looked crazy and she did end up having it evened out. It looked much nicer and made it easier for her to continue growing it. Good luck !!

dropinthebucket
May 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Haven't grown out an inverted bob, but did grow out an awful layered cut. My hair waves in humidity, and I asked the stylist not to make the layers too different - no more than two inches difference in length - otherwise - POOOF! I have shelves on each side of my head! :)

I just kept trimming the bottom layer back, only, for about six months, and yes, it was longer in the front than the back, kind of an inverted bob layer style thing, but not a proper bob. Little by little, the shorter layers evened out, and the back grew and came level with the front. Sadly, no substitute for time, though .... wish I had one of those time turners Hermione had, I could use one of those! :)

Speckla
May 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Me me!! About three years ago I had one.

Fethenwen
May 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
I had something similar too. Well, I got mine evened out quite quickly when I decided to grow it out. And after that many months of having my hair in a ridiculously tiny ponytail started :p That was really the worst hair growing period I have had. But it did pass, and I was able to wear my hair in other styles.

My best tip to you is to even it out when it grows a bit, and after that just forget about it! It will seem to grow faster if you don't notice your hair so much :)

loralie
May 22nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
I pretty much just trimmed the front bits away slowly until it was even. It honestly doesn't look that bad, plus if you wear it up you can't even tell! :)

TiaKitty
May 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'd be likely to just wear the front part up or back in a headband, until the back is where you want it, and then cut the front to match... get some cute little clippy-clips or headbands and give yourself some creative updos while you grow it out?

Speckla
May 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Headbands, mini-clips, and bobbypins were my best friend during growing out. I could clip my sides up and it looked cute. You could even pull it into a small ponytail and use bobbypins to pin the back up. I bet it'd look great.

going gray
May 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi...In my case I got micro trims (dustings) about every 2 months. Your hair will grow back in great healthy shape. Most important, just plain patience!

Dreams_in_Pink
May 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
That's me! :D I had no trims till front layers reached collarbone (back was barely shoulders), then i went to get extensions done which shortened front layers A LOT. Not front is way shorter than the back which is APL.

Those long bits on the front look awkward while growing out so i think evening things with micro trims would be a good idea.

May
May 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start doing micro trims in a month. I'll give it a good half inch more to go and then start evening things up. :) Thanks ladies!

manderly
May 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
You know, I had one back in 99/00 (before they were cool, I never get to be cool :roll:) and I can't remember doing anything special to it other than letting it grow....and mine was pretty extreme (I had a shaved bit on the back of my head up to around mid-ear IIRC).

dropinthebucket
May 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
manderly, i love that emoticon! are there extra emoticons when you pass a certain number of posts?

manderly
May 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
manderly, i love that emoticon! are there extra emoticons when you pass a certain number of posts?

Not that I'm aware of :) They should all be visible and available to you if you click the reply button (instead of using the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread).

That little guy is the : roll :

dropinthebucket
May 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
aaah, k - hit reply, not quick reply - TY!

manderly
May 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
aaah, k - hit reply, not quick reply - TY!

Yeah, and you'll just memorize the ones you use all the time ;)

jenwithtriplets
May 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
I was growing out an inverted bob last summer. It looked horrible to me because I had a steep angle in the front and thought it looked weird. I went to have it TRIMMED and the lady evened it out by cutting my whole length to my chin. :( I was SO upset. She said to even it out for me to grow it out she had to cut it up to my chin. :mad: Almost a year later my hair is just past my shoulders, growing to APL (it actually looks like it is almost there!). I would make sure whoever cuts your hair understands to just cut the angle!

I do have a friend that has a really inverted bob. Her back is basically shaved and the front angles down to her shoulders. I had not seen her in a LONG time and we spent about an hour catching up. I was really shocked when she turned around and I saw she had an inverted bob!

theboredelf
May 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I had an inverted bob a few years back (like 98ish) and I hated it. Mine wasn't too severe, though. My mother evened it out once it grew out 2 or 3 inches. However, I've seen longer inverted bobs where the front is shoulder-length and the back is around chin or 1-2" longer. (I think Victoria Beckham had one a year or two ago.) So if you choose to wait a while before evening it up, it won't look too weird. I think that once the front is past your shoulder, it would just feel weird not to have it evened out, though.

countryhopper
May 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I had one of those. I didn't want to trim the front layers since that's the growth I saw the most often when I looked in the mirror :D . I just let it grow until it was long enough to pull back in a claw clip (which I wore practically every day).

As it grew past shoulder I was very tempted to trim it to even up the front and back lengths, but those longer wisps made many more styles possible for me (like cinnamon buns), so I never trimmed. I hardly ever wear my hair down, so the only person who knew my hair was uneven was me.

Now it seems like my back layers are growing faster, so basically it is now all the same length.

kitten1986
May 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Yep I went in for a trim and shaping and the horrible hairdresser decided to give me a "cool" "hip" haircut (she was about 60 and really had no idea) so before I knew it she was shaving with the clippers up the back of my head!!!!
I screamed and yelled at her to stop but it was too late, so another stylist turned it into an inverted bob, the back was shaved the front was abit under earlobe length.
It was the worst haircut I have ever had... EVER!

Thats when I decided to never cut my hair again and grow it out haha we all need a turning point right?

anyway a little OT

But yes I grew out an EXTREME inverted bob and to tell you the truth it sucks. As it grew I just gradually started evening it out (trimming back on the longer front pieces) so it didnt look totally weird. Now I have just past shoulder length hair that is ALMOST even I do my own trims and just learnt how to cut my fringe/face framing layers for myself. I would definitely say you should find a HD you can really trust to do this for you or just do it yourself if you are willing to give it a go its quite easy.

I really reccommend that you go to a hair shop and buy lots of little clips and pins to pull it back while it grows. I used to twist the long front bits back and pin them up which really helps alot. There are plenty of cute ways to pull it back while you are growing. I also took the long hair from the front and made two little buns on the top of my head which was cute.

Good luck! Give it time its not fun but in the end it WILL grow out so you just need to be patient.

GoddesJourney
May 24th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I had a slightly inverted U until a couple of days ago. Honestly, it was perfect for buns and braids because if the front is longer than the back, it comes out to be the same length when you pull it all behind your head. This may be nice for you until you reach around APL. After that, you can start to even it out. I just cut mine back into a V shape, which suits me. I would've waited it out a little longer but I had a lot of damage to remove. If the U is not *too* dramatic, it's actually pretty perfect if it's up all the time, which it likely is since you have a small child.