PDA

View Full Version : Is oil friends with conditioner?

anna francesca
May 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
As a newbie Im still fiddling around with my hair routine and have noticed that I definitley have a tendency to over use coconut oil :o...
Whenever I want to CO for the first time I have over oiled hair and am too chicken to try it then. My question is:

Does CO also clean realy oily hair?

Ive always perceived it as a some what milder version of shampoo, so I don't know if it would realy get rid of the oil. :confused:

Lemur_Catta
May 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Yes!
I often oil my length and my ends before washing, and while I always use shampoo on the scalp (conditioner makes me shed too much) I never use it on length and ends, and they are usually covered in conditioner before I apply shampoo, so they don't really get clean with the suds. Conditioner removes oil in a very gentle way, and it is perhaps even more effective than shampoo. It leaves the hair softer and shinier, too.
The best way to remove oil is applying conditioner on dry (oiled) hair, let it sit for 1 hour and then rinse\shampoo\whatever. I think there is an article about this method somewhere.

Merewen
May 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Yes it does! I often oil quite heavily before I CO wash, and it comes out nicely.

BeatlesFanGirl
May 22nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
You can even put 2-3 drops of coconut/almond/olive oil into the conditioner, and mix it well. I do that :)

Capybara
May 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, they are friends :p

I oil heavily - and I mean heavily - the night before a wash. (I usually wash in the morning.) While I'll typically CWC, I'll CO occasionally when my hair is getting dry. My hair feels sooo soft after this! And not oily at all.

Good luck :flower:

breezefaerie
May 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Yes, it comes right out with my CO or CWC wash. This is the only way I can use coconut oil - as a prewash. I haven't yet figured out how to apply without looking greasy.

jeanniet
May 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
CO absolutely will take out coconut oil, jojoba, anything you oil with. I haven't been COing that long, but I always oil pretty heavily the night before, and CO takes it out. I oil my ends after, too, lol.

The trick to COing is to make sure it's well distributed through your hair. Most people leave it on for a while and use quite a lot. I don't use that much, but I do gently comb it through to make sure all my hair is covered.

Just try it out and see how it works for you. The worst is that you have oily hair for a few days, or you have to wash again.

sibiryachka
May 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I second Lemur Catta on the part about applying the conditioner to the oiled length *before* wetting it. For me that was the secret trick to getting it to remove pre-wash oiling. I haven't found it necessary to let it sit for an hour before washing it out - for me 15 minutes or so is plenty - but I imagine that varies based on hair type, oil type/amount, what conditioner you use, and possibly the moon phase.

anna francesca
May 24th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I figured out what I was doing wrong. :cool: Thanks for all the tips! I've had a few days were I failed because I tried to CO and then use shampoo because again I was too chicken: FRIZZ. Over condition and overoiling worked way better than over oil and shampoo! :cheese:

Yay for great advice!

Capybara
May 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Awesome! It's always good when you figure out your routine :D