PDA

View Full Version : Arrrg I'm Going Blonde!

trillcat
May 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I have started threads about my hair color, to bleach or not, how to get the red out of fading brown hair, I just can't take it anymore!
I hate my hair color, just hate it. My inner blonde is screaming to be let out!
It will probably kill my hair, I don't care at this point. My dark hair (light brown/dark blond/red) makes me look dragged out nasty, it does not suit me, and the roots, though interesting with the gold and silver, not me at this point in life.
Im going back to the bottle, I need to be blonde.

ericthegreat
May 21st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Its ok trillcat. There are no rules on this board that obligate you or anyone else into not coloring/highlighting/heat styling your hair. If becoming a blonde again is what makes you happy, then by all means become a blonde. I definitely know everyone here would support you, as long as you are doing something that makes you truly happy.

zenobia
May 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi trillcat. I'm a bottle blonde here and I don't really want to give it up either, even though I know it's bad for my hair. I guess we all have to make some tough choices. :)

trillcat
May 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Its ok trillcat. There are no rules on this board that obligate you or anyone else into not coloring/highlighting/heat styling your hair. If becoming a blonde again is what makes you happy, then by all means become a blonde. I definitely know everyone here would support you, as long as you are doing something that makes you truly happy.
It will make me happy, I think, *sigh*
I was born blonde, I have always been blonde, it is who I am. I am the chick with the long blonde hair. (sans that whole pixie episode, yikes, but even then , still blonde!)
I spent this winter being brunette, I pretended to like it because it is my natural color now, but gosh, I am so not happy.
It is pretty in the sun, is there some way a giant sun lamp can be targeted on me wherever I go? :confused: :)
I fully expect I will lose about 6 inches of crunchy dried up ends in this process, I should cut them off anyway, who am I fooling?

pennylane
May 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM

My God!!! That is exactly about i feel about the whole thing, the whole journey to long hair !!!!!!!

Thank You and Bless you ericthegreat!:blossom:

Shermie Girl
May 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM
Go for it. :D

Don't forget to use coconut oil before you lighten, it can help to protect your hair. (Apply roots to tips at least an hour beforehand and leave it in during the process.)

Pictures would be appreciated. :bluebiggr

ETA:
Oh yeah...

And don't forget to strand test! :D

loralie
May 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Go slow and be careful! And this is coming from someone who gave up dye for my new years resolution ;) Honestly, there's no point in having long hair if you aren't happy with it. Regardless of everything, you need to be happy. It may be hard on it and you might have to trim a bit but once you get the length nice, it's just touching up the roots.

Go girl! :)

Athena's Owl
May 21st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hey, it's not that bad!

You'll do much better blonde now knowing all the tricks to encourage moisture and health. You may with to try Generic Protein Filler Treatments found at Sally's beauty supply to help baby your hair along. You can go blonde, there's no rule against it!

renarok
May 21st, 2010, 11:20 PM
If being blonder makes you feel more 'YOU' then go for it. I highlight my hair every 11 weeks and don't have any guilt whatsoever.

UltraBella
May 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
My hair is bleached, I had to get rid of a bright copper red color. I had it done professionally at a salon. My hair is still in fantastic shape afterwards :)

Loreley
May 22nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
Just do what makes you happy! That's the most important. :)

aksown
May 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM
I don't remember signing a "no coloring" contract when I joined!! When did they start that? ;)
Whatever makes you fall in love with your hair again is a-okay.

Fethenwen
May 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Going blonde doesn't always have to mean major damage.

You might also want to insist on having your hair coconut oiled while having your hair bleached :p Seriously:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=peroxide+damage

I also suggest to do it in a saloon by a professional to get a shade that suits you the best. You might also want to visit a saloon that uses ammonia free color, those are less damaging. Though I'm not 100 sure that such color can be used to bleach hair :hmm:

FrannyG
May 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
I was where you are 2 years ago. I tried being a brunette for a year. I stopped liking it after about a month, but I was afraid to remove it. When I did, I did incur some damage, but it was worth it to feel like me again. And the good thing about hair is that it grows..

I third the coconut oil suggestion. It really has worked for me for the last year and a half. The new growth of hair since that time is much thicker and healthier than my hair has ever been since colouring it for the past 20 years. I only wish I'd known about the coconut oil a few months earlier and my hair may not have sustained so much damage.

Are you bleaching it yourself, or are you going to a salon? I really hope that you give some thought to having it done professionally.

And don't worry. Everyone here has different goals. Some have a goal to be completely natural in colour. Many of us like to colour our hair. We're all different, and that's okay.

At least now you have some good hair care knowledge to help you along.

Best of luck to you. :blossom:

JenniferNoel
May 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Do what makes you happy! Why have hair if you're not going to enjoy it, right?
I just recently "re-blonded" myself, and the damage for me was fairly minimal with all of the precautions I took.
You shouldn't have a problem.
Good luck and enjoy!

Dreams_in_Pink
May 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Do whatever makes you happy :) I've seen many bottle blondes with long hair here, so bleach doesn't mean the end of the world ;)

justgreen
May 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'd suggest a salon , a good colorist. I've been doing it for over five years now. I tried dark highlights all over , once, about 18 months ago. :justy: I waited five months then started he process to get back to where I am today. I've got the complection for a blonde, so I'm only happy as a blonde, know what I mean?

Pandora.
May 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Don't worry, I think many people have been in your position - including myself!

Just ensure to take extra good care of your hair once you've dyed it. I'm sure you'll be fine and that your hair will look lovely. :)