PDA

View Full Version : Pulling braids tight

GlennaGirl
May 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Do you find that you have to braid your initial strands fairly tight in order not to get that "bump-out" look at the back of your neck (top of the braid)?

Have you noticed any damage from this?

Any "bump-out avoidance" tricks out there?

Raederle
May 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I don't braid often, but when I do, I follow Ursula's excellent suggestions. I thought it was posted in the articles here, but I couldn't find it just now. It's certainly in the archives, though. The notion is to braid snugly, not tightly. Ah, here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50419) it is.

eadwine
May 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I start out tightly, but not because of the bump outs, but because my shorter neck hairs want to escape :)

Anje
May 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
My hair bumps out either way, and the neck hairs go nuts no matter what I do. I just braid it a little loose, so it's comfortable.

ale
May 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
French braiding could be a solution. Sometimes I do a french braid starting low, near the nape, so I have only two bumps, above the hairline and all stays in place.

Periwinkle
May 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What do you mean by 'bump out'? Whenever I braid, the problem is that it bumps in: there's a strange dip onto my neck and then it goes out again.

capelli lunghi
May 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Try using Dianyla's Braiding Technique. She starts her braids higher up on her head and not at the nape of her neck. I've found her way very helpful in eliminating the mess I usually get at the top of my braids!

freznow
May 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Tehee trying my hand at multi quote

I don't braid often, but when I do, I follow Ursula's excellent suggestions. I thought it was posted in the articles here, but I couldn't find it just now. It's certainly in the archives, though. The notion is to braid snugly, not tightly. Ah, here (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50419) it is.
I agree with this. There's definitely a difference between snug and tight. I braid snugly for the best results; it's not loose at all but I don't have to keep pulling on strands to make it nice...

French braiding could be a solution. Sometimes I do a french braid starting low, near the nape, so I have only two bumps, above the hairline and all stays in place.
French braiding always gives me so many more icky random bumping in and out bits, and I doubt it's my 'skill ability' because I've tried it numerous times and am decent at it. It's just really really annoying to me for some reason or another. As shown by ale, YMMV.

Try using Dianyla's Braiding Technique. She starts her braids higher up on her head and not at the nape of her neck. I've found her way very helpful in eliminating the mess I usually get at the top of my braids!
This is like the french braid to me, I get a whole bunch of random bumpy bits and underneath the braid is very annoying. I have to admit, though, if I am in the mood for having my hair pulled straight back the technique does work well.

I think the biggest things are: practice, changing the amount of tension, and changing placement of braid.

spidermom
May 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM
No - I can't tolerate tight. The trick is to avoid tractioning outward from the head or neck, but hold the strands close to the head and "fold" them into place. For some reason, everybody wants to pull against the head when braiding -- not necessary.

Rosamaria
May 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have never been successful with braids, but when my hair is long enough I'm going to give it another go. I've already learned from this site that a Y- shaped part is going to work better for me (instead of parallel part), but I have a question for all you expert and successful braiders:

Ursula's article talks about 'twisting' the hair. Does that mean that you are actually twisting the sections as you braid? If so, which way?

Peggy E.
May 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Funny - The only time I have real trouble with a "bump" in the braid is when I french braid! The point of transition from the "french" to the regular three-strand braid always, always creates a bump (at best), a big wad of messy hair (worst case scenario).

I have tried everything under the sun to try and fix this, to no avail. So I always have to either put the bottom part of the braid in a braided bun or tuck it up and under some way.

Angellen
May 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
My braids turn sideways if I don't start them right. Loose braids are more comfy, but my layers will fall out. :( I braid close, but not extremely tight.

harley mama
May 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I braid tight. I always have so, I don't usually have problems with the bumps at my hairline.

Katurday
May 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Tight braids look shinier, and thats pretty much how I did them.
I don't know if it would do to much damage.
I haven't been able to braid in oh about 2 years now, so I can't even remember how to do it right. I did one a few weeks ago on my friend's hair and I remember thinking "oh this is familiar..."

GlennaGirl
May 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, all. Someone asked what the "bump-out" is...it's when there's looser hair just sort of bumping out from the sides right up against the neck, at the beginning of the braid.

I read Ursula's instructions and also took into account Dianyla's starting up higher and both seem to be helping tremendously. I'm glad for the help. I do like the look of a nice, neat braid.

Nini
May 13th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I'm glad it's working out for you!

I need to do a firm braid for it to stay in my hair. If it's braided while damp it'll stay fairly organized. If I braid while dry, well, in the right light I'm sure I'd look like I'd been electrocuted:p

Dianyla's braid doesn't work for me though. For some reason it sticks to my necklace like glue. Pulling and uncomfortable. I've tried it with different chains too, but no difference. And it's not an option to not wear the necklace either!

All that being said. I'll most often wear an English Braid on clean hair. I always dreamed of having a long braid, and right now I'm actually moving past what I always imagined:D

Nini