PDA

View Full Version : My overall hair length has barely grown AT ALL in the past year, but my layers grow?

Iron0Maiden
May 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
I have got layers in my hair. The shortest is sholder length and the longest is about APL. The rest of my hair is BSL length. It has been that way for a whole year... well the length has. My layers grow like mad, seroulsy last year the longest was not even to my sholder. But the length never ever grows. I will get it trimmed and inch off, and it will grow that inch then stop. Why does it do this? I have had my hair way longer than this before. :confused:

spidermom
May 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe the length is waiting for the layers to catch up, who knows? Hair can be weird. Mine likes to have major growth spurts after hair cuts.

Iron0Maiden
May 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, same! Then it just... stops.

spidermom
May 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
You're at a length where it's kind of hard to judge progress. Try getting a picture taken once per month or once per three months, in the same patterned shirt (horizontal strips are good) each time. Then you will probably see progress. It would be pretty rare for hair to "just stop" at your length, unless it's breaking off from damage or trimmed too often.

deviantkitten
May 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
I have *kind of* had the opposite happen. After a cpl months where my length stalled, it grew an inch, but my bangs ARG. I am trying to grow them out, but they have not grown AT ALL. It's like my length and my fringe are having a race, and my bangs have given up LOL. Hopefully my frings will realize that they are sadly behind and catch up. They are at that really frustrating stage too, where they just....aren't....quite....long enough to tuck behind my ears, and they have been like this for months

JenniferNoel
May 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Weird right? My hair will not gain length as fast if there are no layers. For me, it may be a visual illusion, but hair can do that.
Everyone's hair is different, it could be that the hair towards the bottom of your head and nape just doesn't grow as fast as the hair towards the top, just genetics. Just a possibility... :)

jivete
May 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
How often are you getting that inch trimmed off? If your trims might be too frequent.

Night_Kitten
May 22nd, 2010, 04:20 AM
Just a guess, but maybe the ends of the longest layer get caught between your back and the chair and that damages them and prevents further growth?
I've discovered I have several "prone to damage" areas along the length with more damage and breakage when I was wearing my hair down, one of them is slightly below BSL...

FrannyG
May 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
I agree with Spidermom that it would be helpful to have photos taken monthly so that 3 or 4 months down the line, you can see your progress. You may be gaining more length than you think.

If you're truly not gaining length, it sounds as though your hair may be breaking off as quickly as it's growing, or you're cutting as frequently as it's growing.

I would recommend not getting more than 1/2 inch cut off at a time, if you are trying to gain length, and only once every 3 or 4 months.

If you're trying to cut out damage, then of course, you would want to maintain your current length, but that doesn't sound like that's your plan.

I hope you figure it out. Just keep caring for your hair, and eventually it will come around. :blossom:

Iron0Maiden
May 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
You know what? I think I am getting trims too often. Like, I am one of those people that can't go a few months without one. And I have a problem you see, because every time I go to the hair stylist, which is about every other month, they want to cut off a whole inch. Its kind of frusturating, haha. But I got a hair trim 2 months ago, and then after one month I measured it and it grew over half an inch, almost a whole inch. Then I measured it a month again after that, and it barley grew at all! I wonder why...?