PDA

View Full Version : Secure Hairstyles?

Charlotte:)
May 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
How do you style your hair when you really need it to be secure (like while hiking on a windy day)? I've tried lots of buns and braids, but they are always held in by bobby pins which never seem to secure the amount of hair I have very well. What do you do?

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hair sticks always hold buns more securely than bobby pins for me.

I'm really good at a tight, secure bun. What I can't do is those big beautiful looser buns some people here can do.

When I need my hair out of the way securely, a coil of hair twisted into a bun and held with a hair stick is the ticket. I usually don't even need more than one hair stick, but use two if you want unshakable security.

AJoifulNoise
May 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I do a cinnabun with lots of little clips along the outside. That thing never budges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/03.jpg

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
cinnabun. So that's the LHC word for the only updo I can do!

My cinnabun is secured with sticks but is basically the same in principle.

Anje
May 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM
For me, a hairstick (particularly a Ketylo) holds very well. Ficcares and similar clips are also exceptional at holding, but they can sometimes get heavy or pull.

When outside on windy days, I have too many wispy hairs to ever expect to stay back, no matter what I use to secure a bun. Wearing a hat, Buff, or bandana over everything is the real trick to keeping hair from getting windblown.

clichepithet
May 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Good Hair Days Pins! Say that three times fast, then go get 'em. ;)

Natalia
May 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hmm kind of a two pronged answer (no pun intended...you will see ;) )

As far as styles a braided bun always holds better for me than a cinnabun but it isnt as clean looking if you have layers. Starting a braid up higher on the crown and adding hair in as you go down helps alot when wearing it down.

With technique and tools forks (well U pins) hold much beter than sticks on round type buns for me but if your really going to be jostling then maybe a stick is better. I did a cowrey bun when i went out daning with the "cover" held from underneath with a comb and it help up through line, two step, and swing for hours. Wrap and lazy wrap are both very secure and easy to redo if need be. Hope that helps some :)

Gumball
May 20th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I've jogged while wearing a Nautilus bun. The Nautilus is one of my two simple go-to styles if I just want to put my hair up. The jogging wasn't for exercise, but for me often forgetting something and feeling compelled to hurry my butt up and get to whatever it was. Haha. Still, this thing (wearing one now) is darn secure.

Rivanariko
May 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Braided buns usually feel more secure for my slippery and fine hair. I put my hair in a high ponytail, braid it (english or rope braid, usually, I haven't mastered any more than three strands yet!), then wrap it into a bun, tuck then ends under, and put two hairsticks in an X. As long as I make sure to "sew" them in really well, it's really secure and tight, holds all day no matter what I'm doing.
Though, most of the time if I'm going to be active, I just do a french or dutch braid and leave the tail hanging, unless it's unbelievably hot outside.

I've heard several people also say that if you want a truly secure hairstyle for activities, that hair taping really holds. I haven't tried it myself though.

deviantkitten
May 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM
Elizabethan hair taping!
Hehe I am the official advocate for this style! I actually just did my hair like this. It stays put with no sticks, clips, pink, or forks. I can wear it for a few days without having to redo it (sleeping on a satin pillowcase helps keep the wispies at bay).
The style doesn't move!!! It is comfortable to sleep in, and it distributes the weight evenly, making it a very comfortable style. Now, I don't run or jog, but I do hike and exercise every now and then, including yoga. I have worn this style camping, and it stays out of my eyes, out of the way, and I don't worry about it at all. Torrin Paige has a tutorial for it here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

My hair isn't quite as long as hers, so I do modify it a bit. Instead of starting out with a ponytail at the back, I just start my rope braids under each ear. You can also do it with English braids, or by twisting the hair and crossing it over your head, if you are worried about braiding eating up too much length.
I hope this helps. Try it out! This is my favourite way to wear my hair. I get soooo many compliments, including from my mother, who is very stingy with compliments LOL

countryhopper
May 21st, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm still at APL, so my go-to secure styles are braids and French twists held with hair scroos.

Loreley
May 21st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Hypno-bun is the most secure I've ever tried. I do it with only one stick but it's very good. :)

hanne jensen
May 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I just tried a modified Elizabethan Hair Taping! It's kind of messy, but it's holding. My question is, how do I get the ribbon out withoud breaking any hairs?

Sarahmoon
May 21st, 2010, 04:20 AM
I do a rope braid bun secured with a beak clip. Holds all day.

Gulbahar
May 21st, 2010, 04:28 AM
Don't use bobby pins - they don't hold anything very well. U-shaped pins, scroos or hairsticks and forks are much more reliable.

JenniferNoel
May 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM
If I do a lazy wrap bun right, it's pretty durable. I don't know about intense hiking or sports though. Your hair may hold it better or worse than mine since it's much longer. :)

Savvyhorsez
May 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
EZ Comb bun, and Cinnamon buns are the best for me. I've run with those on and they don't fall out unless of course you put them in loose.

tyrant1100
May 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Braided Cinnabun held with claw clips. I've done everything from jogging and kickboxing to gardening and hiking up a mountain in high winds and that style holds like a rock.

GRU
May 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
For me, the Split Bun is secure without being *tight*. (I hate it when I can FEEL the bun, ya know?)

Instructions:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=159

Kristin
May 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
I prefer braids for working out. (I think twin French braids are cute and hold really well.) I've also worn cinnabuns held with forks before and that works pretty well, too.

HairColoredHair
May 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Cinnabun held with Knitting Needles bent into U-Shapes (also known as Wavelength Pins). (I put this in and don't have to touch it until I take it out at night. :) )

Quixii
May 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM
I do a sock bun secured by a scrunchie instead of bobby pins for gymnastics, and it works really well. :)

CaliforniaAnne
May 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
Heidi braids, always. :)

eezepeeze
May 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I do a variation on a Chinese bun.

1. Put your hair into a pony in the middle of the back of your head.

2. Insert a hairstick right above the ponytail holder.

3. Twist the hair of the pony.

4. Wrap the twisted tail in a figure eight fashion around the hairstick as tight as it will go and as many times as it will go.

5. Tuck the end into the bun and secure with one bobby pin (that's all I need).

This bun will not move an inch. To keep flyaways down, I smooth some gel onto the front part of my hair. If you do this wet, it will REALLY hold well. I wear this for work often. I work with children and move around a lot all day. This works well for me.

Aliped
May 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Braided buns usually feel more secure for my slippery and fine hair. I put my hair in a high ponytail, braid it (english or rope braid, usually, I haven't mastered any more than three strands yet!), then wrap it into a bun, tuck then ends under, and put two hairsticks in an X. As long as I make sure to "sew" them in really well, it's really secure and tight, holds all day no matter what I'm doing.
Though, most of the time if I'm going to be active, I just do a french or dutch braid and leave the tail hanging, unless it's unbelievably hot outside.

I've heard several people also say that if you want a truly secure hairstyle for activities, that hair taping really holds. I haven't tried it myself though.

I second everything Rivanariko (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=23268) said :thumbsup:. Another very secure bun for me is the infinity bun. It took me a while to learn it, but once I got the hang of it, it really feels secure. I use my shortest hair stick (aprox. 5.5") and a couple of bobby pins for the tail.:p I'm wearing one now and it's not moving a millimeter!

Deborah
May 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
My favorite is a flip bun held by my Quattro starlight fork. It holds like iron, is comfy and looks good.

Yttrai
May 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Single centered or off-centered braid if it is a sport that doesn't require a helmet or a hat, two braids down the back if it does. (Helmets cause a giant rats' nest at the nape of my neck with a single braid but not with two.) Though, i strongly prefer two braids for hiking since then i get wind on the back of my neck which doesn't happen even with an off-center single braid.

Also, since many of the best outdoor activities (camping, hiking, cycling) lend themselves well to swimming during or immediately afterwards, the braids are the most durable under those conditions as well. IME, YMMV, etc ;)

E.g.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/Khayeth/pongKira.jpg

or

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/Khayeth/Kauai%202009/IMG_1960.jpg

ale
May 26th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I jogged yesterday with my usual equilibrium bun and it worked well. However, when doing something less "calm", like rope jumping, no bun can hold in my experience, I have to braid or do a segmented ponytail

sweet*things
May 26th, 2010, 06:35 AM
If I really want my hair to go away and have time to prepare (house painting day, for example), I'll do a wet braided bun held with a U-shaped pin. Putting my hair up while wet enables me to lock it down a lot tighter and with fewer whispeys.

Akiko
May 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Braided cinnabun held with several U-pins is very secure. If I need to wear a hat, two braids on both sides like Yittrai's photos.

Paniscus
May 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Well, I have trouble with buns staying up anyway. I still can not do a frenchtwist without it falling down.. and a cinnabun doesn't hold...

I have ficcare clips and hairsticks and a few small hairforks.. and the only bun tha twill stay for me, is the chinese bun. Whether I first put it into a ponytail or braid it before sticking in the hairstick, it's the only bun that I can wear all day long without re-doing.

jane53
May 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think I'm like you, Paniscus. What do you mean by a Chinese bun? I suppose I could google it. I can't get any of the looser buns to hold at all.

LadyLongLocks
May 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I always use the small claw clips since I can trust that they will hold. The trick is to use lots and distribute them in many places. When I discovered these 1" clips I was able to finally hold up my hair with no worries of it falling! You can use tiny clips too,it depends on your length and hair thickness.

jane53
May 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Oops. I checked. What I do isn't a Chinese bun. It's a TIGHT cinnabon. All wound very tight.

By the way, LadyLongLocks, your profile picture and your other pictures are gorgeous!

LadyLongLocks
May 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Cinnabun held with Knitting Needles bent into U-Shapes (also known as Wavelength Pins). (I put this in and don't have to touch it until I take it out at night. :) )

I just found the correct knitting needles and my husband and I are going to make some of these. I had so much trouble finding the double ended ones!
They look great and strong and have already worn them as hair sticks.
Great to hear they are comfy and secure. :D

LadyLongLocks
May 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sorry I did not mention what type of bun- several kinds work with the clips. Cinnamon,pretzel,braided,rope braid and more. Seems like they work with many styles and help if you have layers too.

inty
May 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I've just discovered that lazy wrap bun held with a flexi8 is my to-go-most-secure style now (my hair is somewhere between apl and bsl now I guess).

And, what's also important, I found the use for my medium flexi which wasn't suitable for anything else.

wendyg
May 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
African Butterfly.

wg

EtherealOde
May 28th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Well, I have trouble with buns staying up anyway. I still can not do a frenchtwist without it falling down.. and a cinnabun doesn't hold...

I have ficcare clips and hairsticks and a few small hairforks.. and the only bun tha twill stay for me, is the chinese bun. Whether I first put it into a ponytail or braid it before sticking in the hairstick, it's the only bun that I can wear all day long without re-doing.
I have shorter and thinner hair than you, yet I have found a pseudo-french twist style that holds very well in both a medium and large maximus. Please bear with the descriptions for the steps, I haven't yet figured out how to get photos from my cell phone onto this forum. If someone can follow my directions and post photos, I would be very happy that you took the time. :) Also, if this hairstyle technique has been done before, apologies. It is just something I came up with to secure my hair up and still have it look nice.

1. Grab hair back into a low pony, just above your nape hairline with your left hand. Slide your hand down the pony about an inch.
2. With your right index finger, place it just below the pony against your head. Curl the finger up and over where you are holding the pony as you grasp the heir in your left hand just tightly enough to let the hair slide thru your hand as the right index finger is twisting, and yet still not let it go too loosely.
3. Continue twisting with your right index finger until the ends of your hair go into the twist, keeping your finger close to your head as you twist slightly upwards.
4. Hold the twist against your head with your left hand, and let go of the upper part of the twist on your right finger. Secure the twist with your ficcare, I prefer inserting it from right to left but if you like it from the other side then just reverse the hold directions.

This holds very well for me even when I have fallen asleep in it a few times. It keeps the ends protected as well, and can look casual enough for exercise yet still looks nice when going out.

Another style that holds very well for me is the lazy wrap. I have had this stay all day in my hair recently with a single hairstick, during a day of visiting relatives and going to the Virgina Marine and Scinence Museum.

HotRag
May 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have discovered a new comfy style for me. And secure.

I make a high English braid, at just behind crown. Then make a fake crown braid from that. All the weigth is on top, and I secure with a U-shaped pin (like the knitting needle, but I made them from chem. wash hanger) at the base where the end goes in, and them small claw where needed.

jane53
May 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
African Butterfly.

wg

I've looked at these online and even watched a video tutorial about using them and it looks to me like they'd tangle in my hair. Am I wrong?

Lunnafindel
May 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm loving the Modified Swirly Bun http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=127
or my version (what's that, the modified modified swirly bun?) which I think is easier and looks better. I twist my hair into a ponytail and then slide my right hand under the ponytail and twist my wrist over and around to grab the tail, then pull the tail partway through the loop made by my wrist to make a second loop. Then I wrap the rest of my hair around the base and stick a hairstick through it, over the top loop and out the bottom. It's scarily secure.
Of course braids stay well all day, but there's nothing you can do to escape flyaways by the end of the day, so I'd rather a bun that I can redo periodically to keep it looking fresh.
Oh, and ditto on the braided cinnabun. when I'm swing dancing (flips and spins and stuff) that's what I do.

Laurenji
May 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
If I'm exercising or doing something active, a braid works every time. French braids, dutch braids, one, two, anything. Although, my hair's only at BSL, so the braided length is still fairly short.

My other favorite (for dressier occasions) is the French Twist, using a French Twist comb. If you get it nice and tight an/or do it when it's wet, my hair holds like a rock all day. It's amazing.

Savvyhorsez
October 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I've found that a tighter Lazy Wrap bun with just one hair stick works best for me. I wear it all the time, it holds up ALL DAY while I go riding on a bouncy horse whether it's trotting or jumping, I can do cartwheels (Well I can't actually do one, but I try), play badminton, other sports, biking, running, etc, and it doesn't budge. I really love it!:)

pepperminttea
October 4th, 2010, 07:27 PM
When outside on windy days, I have too many wispy hairs to ever expect to stay back, no matter what I use to secure a bun. Wearing a hat, Buff, or bandana over everything is the real trick to keeping hair from getting windblown.

This, especially on freshly-washed hair when all the wispies are light as a feather. I find a braided bun held with a fork, and the wispies held back by something (for me, usually a headscarf) is about as unshakable as it gets.

Sanyia
October 4th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I second the African Butterfly clips. They don't budge, don't pull and don't tangle. If you get flyaways, it takes 20 second to tidy up your bun.

eezepeeze
October 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Another really secure style is the caterpillar french ponytail. It is quick and easy to do and keeps the baby hairs in.

It's great for gardening, sports, hiking, and going to fairs, cookouts, etc.